Rooney takes himself out of the squad for Saturday

RoyMac5

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am glad Rooney is standing down, as I want to see Sibley, Bird and Knight playing. I do hope too Rooney takes Lawrence out of the firing (misfiring) line too.

A lot of posters suggesting Rosenior is being shafted here. He’s not, as he was never a contender for the managers job (even he admitted that in the interview after Cocu left). Whilst they are both inexperienced, Rooney is/was always more likely to be considered for the full time managerial appointment because of his stellar playing career (up to the age of 30) and his media profile. Let’s get real if there is a choice between only the two, the owners are not going for Rosenior (even though he has the badges).

Rooney has two games on the touchline to show some evidence he is up to it. That is how it is for now guys. Moan all you like, but you are going to have to suck that up. If he does well, I suspect (and always have) that the full time job is his, and someone like Mike Phelan will be his number 2. If he doesn’t do well, then it would take a brave new owner to still appoint him, and then it will be looking at someone else off the interview shortlist. 

4 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I am glad Rooney is standing down, as I want to see Sibley, Bird and Knight playing. I do hope too Rooney takes Lawrence out of the firing (misfiring) line too.

A lot of posters suggesting Rosenior is being shafted here. He’s not, as he was never a contender for the managers job (even he admitted that in the interview after Cocu left). Whilst they are both inexperienced, Rooney is/was always more likely to be considered for the full time managerial appointment because of his stellar playing career (up to the age of 30) and his media profile. Let’s get real if there is a choice between only the two, the owners are not going for Rosenior (even though he has the badges).

Rooney has two games on the touchline to show some evidence he is up to it. That is how it is for now guys. Moan all you like, but you are going to have to suck that up. If he does well, I suspect (and always have) that the full time job is his, and someone like Mike Phelan will be his number 2. If he doesn’t do well, then it would take a brave new owner to still appoint him, and then it will be looking at someone else off the interview shortlist. 

Seems a sensible analysis of the situation.

There is always the possibility that Rooney could cut the mustard as a manager without the playing responsibilities hanging over him.

3 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Seems a sensible analysis of the situation.

There is always the possibility that Rooney could cut the mustard as a manager without the playing responsibilities hanging over him.

I have to say I just hope we win the next 2 games irrespective. For what worth though I do think he could prove to be a good coach/manager. 

I go on record as saying anyone being out witted by ronaldo so easily in that world cup match just doesnt have the brains for it . There i have layed it out there , let see what happens .

His escapades away from the pitch also back this  up somewhat. 

You know who i do think conducts himself very well and always plays well when called on who i think should go on to be a great manager is curtis davies , very astute bloke and comes across well as being a model professional when called on . Not saying he should be our manager but who ever gets him i nthe future he seems a really good pro who talks well . 

2 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I have to say I just hope we win the next 2 games irrespective. For what worth though I do think he could prove to be a good coach/manager. 

Its impossible to tell really isn't it.

In 1967 I suppose the young ex striker who blagged a job at Hartlepools would not have been fancied to become a decent manager. The big, clumsy, slow, Scottish centre forward called Alex Ferguson was not too shoddy when given a chance at managing.

Rooney is a strange one. He comes from a tough working class background in Liverpool, had a god given gift of playing football, was signed and developed by Ferguson and ended up as Manchester United's and England's top scorer of all time.

He hasn't got the easy charm of Lampard in front of the cameras, he's not the best role model of all time, but he might just have the football knowledge and streetwise cunning to make a fist of this management lark.

Whatever, he'll probably be judged for the rest of his life on what happens during the Derby v Wycombe match on Saturday.

49 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Rooney's more intelligent than people realise. Why manage vs Bristol and Boro and risk 2 defeats on his record? Much better to come in against Wycombe and Coventry.

Maybe....playing devils advocate however if he still loses against the lesser teams then he’s got problems 

5 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

I go on record as saying anyone being out witted by ronaldo so easily in that world cup match just doesnt have the brains for it . There i have layed it out there , let see what happens .

You know who i do think conducts himself very well and always plays well when called on who i think should go on to be a great manager is curtis davies , very astute bloke and comes across well as being a model professional when called on . Not saying he should be our manager but who ever gets him i nthe future he seems a really good pro who talks well . 

I agree with your comments re. Davies. The fact you think that Rooney getting a red card as a 21 year old player means he shouldn’t now be considered for a managerial appointment says perhaps more about you than him. There I have laid it out there. Let’s see what happens over the next couple of games.

19 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I really don’t like this idea, however you’re right we desperately need to win these two games and I desperately hope we do.

The obvious downside of him doing well will be the continuation and ramping up of the celebrity circus!

3 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Its impossible to tell really isn't it.

In 1967 I suppose the young ex striker who blagged a job at Hartlepools would not have been fancied to become a decent manager. The big, clumsy, slow, Scottish centre forward called Alex Ferguson was not too shoddy when given a chance at managing.

Rooney is a strange one. He comes from a tough working class background in Liverpool, had a god given gift of playing football, was signed and developed by Ferguson and ended up as Manchester United's and England's top scorer of all time.

He hasn't got the easy charm of Lampard in front of the cameras, he's not the best role model of all time, but he might just have the football knowledge and streetwise cunning to make a fist of this management lark.

Whatever, he'll probably be judged for the rest of his life on what happens during the Derby v Wycombe match on Saturday.

For the rest of his Derby career yes. but I’m betting even if he does badly for us someone will give him another chance soon after!

Just now, Ramarena said:

I really don’t like this idea, however you’re right we desperately need to win these two games and I desperately hope we do.

The obvious downside of him doing well will be the continuation and ramping up of the celebrity circus!

I don’t like the celebrity circus either. Hopefully, whoever ultimately gets the opportunity to manage our great club, will get us on to the back pages for all the right reasons again. COYR!!!

13 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

Think the Rooney/Ronaldo incident has zero bearing on any future Rooney has as a manager, apart from maybe wising up from it which I'm sure he did already.

Where I do agree with you is that Curtis will make a good manager. Very articulate and a great thinker of the game. Two very important qualities.

Rooney isn't so articulate but one quality he does have, and as someone pointed out a few days ago as perhaps being an advantage over Rosenior, is the eye of the tiger.

That bit of devilish determination to win. I'm glad he's stopped playing. He now has a game or two to show us whether he's up to lifting our fortunes.

Wouldn't have been my choice but I, sure as hell, want him to deliver ?

When your full of aggression and testosterone as an athlete especially an elite one you can do stupid stuff, Rooney was a complete hothead at a young age but he has definitely matured and even though he isnt the ideal appointment I think we need to atleast give him a chance if he is appointed. Saying that I get why people would be pissed if he's appointed because his demeanour isn't always great and people may have doubts over him as a manager with no qualifications. I want an experienced manager but if he is appointed he needs support and atleast some respect. The same people who would kiss Cocu's sorry ass are now giving out some ridiculous abuse towards Rooney, probably because they thought he was a banker before he even came here and don't like his personality. 

Interesting that this hasn't been announced by the official club channels. I don't think this is Rooney retiring from playing, and I don't think it means he's got the gig for any more than on a short term interim basis.

I still think someone else is on the way in, Rosenior either goes or stays on the staff, Rooney returns to the playing staff for the remainder of the season.

Archived