Graeme Shinnie and Curtis Davies

MackworthRamIsGod

I was going to make this just about Shinne, but I think Curtis deserves a mention also.

I dont understand why neither of these are in our starting 11? We are clearly in a battle and the one thing both of these players will do is battle.

Shinnie is twice the player Rooney is at present.

Our midfield 2, if we play a two, should be Shinnie and Knight.  Shinnie the little terrier battling away and Knight the new Craig Bryson. I have no idea why the Backstreet boys cant see it?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I was going to make this just about Shinne, but I think Curtis deserves a mention also.

I dont understand why neither of these are in our starting 11? We are clearly in a battle and the one thing both of these players will do is battle.

Our midfield 2, if we play a two, should be Shinnie and Knight.  Shinnie the little terrier battling away and Knight the new Craig Bryson. I have no idea why the Backstreet boys cant see it?

Totally agree.

Andre brings in speed and ball playing ability, but bringing him in over Davies means a total lack of leadership across this back 4. The back 4 we played last night aren't bad at all, but lack that element of leadership and control.

Shinnie seems to be one of those players who gets better when he doesn’t play.

He is great at winning the ball back but he has no clue when he gets it. For me he is competing with Knight who is great at winning the ball back and is then able to actually do something on the ball too. Shinnie causes more problems than he solves. I’m not saying our midfield is a functional unit but Shinnie in there with Knight and Bird would not be good. Sibley, on the other hand, should definitely be playing.

Davies I am not bothered about. Can defend but his ability to do that is waning and on the ball he makes me want to stab my own eyes out so I don’t have to see it anymore. If a manager who comes in wants us to be a backs to the wall team then pick Davies if you must, but as long as we want to try and play then in my opinion it’s a big no no. 

3 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

The reason that Shinnie isn’t playing is simple, Rooney wants to play in midfield and wants Bird alongside him. 

Shinnie has got to start as has Curtis. They are very lucky no fans are allowed in as the atmosphere would be absolutely toxic. 

Davies is coming to the end of his career, but always offers leadership.

Shinnie is a limited player, but a put in the effort player and even when he's bad he's at least letting the oposition know they're in a fight.

I'd have them both back in. They've both been playing in our more encouraging/less depressing showings this season.

14 minutes ago, Bob Gnarly said:

Totally agree.

Andre brings in speed and ball playing ability, but bringing him in over Davies means a total lack of leadership across this back 4. The back 4 we played last night aren't bad at all, but lack that element of leadership and control.

What I really want to know is where have Matt Clarke's leadership skills gone?

Talk to Portsmouth fans (and players) and they'll tell he he was an absolute rock for them, took responsibility all the time, never got beat in the air, the other players looked up to and depended on him, they knew he had their back and would step up to get them out of trouble.

There were elements of that in him last season, hence getting our POTY, but now? He seems to have completely gone into his shell, looks a yard slower, gets beat in the air all the time is just generally very passive in his defending. (and no, it isn't because he got dropped for one match)

58 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Talk to Portsmouth fans (and players) and they'll tell he he was an absolute rock for them, took responsibility all the time, never got beat in the air, the other players looked up to and depended on him, they knew he had their back and would step up to get them out of trouble.

There were elements of that in him last season, hence getting our POTY, but now? He seems to have completely gone into his shell, looks a yard slower, gets beat in the air all the time is just generally very passive in his defending. (and no, it isn't because he got dropped for one match)

Never even crossed my mind actually. I'm still thinking of him as an on loan young lad when that isn't the case whatsoever. Plenty of experience really, despite it being at different levels it should still be inside of him.

Perhaps like everyone else in the squad he has lost his confidence. 

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Two words for your post. 

Wayne Rooney. 

1 hour ago, nottingram said:

Shinnie seems to be one of those players who gets better when he doesn’t play.

He is great at winning the ball back but he has no clue when he gets it. For me he is competing with Knight who is great at winning the ball back and is then able to actually do something on the ball too. Shinnie causes more problems than he solves. I’m not saying our midfield is a functional unit but Shinnie in there with Knight and Bird would not be good. Sibley, on the other hand, should definitely be playing.

Davies I am not bothered about. Can defend but his ability to do that is waning and on the ball he makes me want to stab my own eyes out so I don’t have to see it anymore. If a manager who comes in wants us to be a backs to the wall team then pick Davies if you must, but as long as we want to try and play then in my opinion it’s a big no no. 

We had a similar player in our promotion winning team under TBE

Darryl Powell..........absolutely useless as a creative force, but absolutely indispensable as a destructive force in central midfield!

Shinnie is similar in my eyes, you need these kinds of player as part of your midfield blend especially in the Championship!

People can keep mocking Shinnie but he’s worth two Rooney’s in midfield in this division!

Until we can find a better option he plays for me!

Look at Bradley Johnson very agricultural player but I’d welcome him back with open arms at the moment as he has many of the qualities our present midfield is totally devoid of.

6 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

We had a similar player in our promotion winning team under TBE

Darryl Powell..........absolutely useless as a creative force, but absolutely indispensable as a destructive force in central midfield!

Shinnie is similar in my eyes, you need these kinds of player as part of your midfield blend especially in the Championship!

People can keep mocking Shinnie but he’s worth two Rooney’s in midfield in this division!

Until we can find a better option he plays for me!

Look at Bradley Johnson very agricultural player but I’d welcome him back with open arms at the moment as he has many of the qualities our present midfield is totally devoid of.

There is definitely space for a player like that at this level, but with Knight you get all of that plus being a lot better on the ball.

Just feels like we go through this every few weeks. Shinnie plays, looks limited. Gets dropped because he inhibits us on the ball (not that we’re really better without him), fans ask why Shinnie isn’t playing and he gets back in the team. Repeat. I do like him but as I say he feels like natural competition to Knight, who is probably our most effective player.

1 hour ago, Coconut said:

Everyone's leadership qualities evaporated since Rooney came. It's like they are scared of him or idolise him. Him being put in charge makes it worse i think. No one else even attempts to be a leader when he is on the pitch

1 minute ago, RammingStone66 said:

Everyone's leadership qualities evaporated since Rooney came. It's like they are scared of him or idolise him. Him being put in charge makes it worse i think. No one else even attempts to be a leader when he is on the pitch

In which case they're not up to it if true.

13 minutes ago, nottingram said:

There is definitely space for a player like that at this level, but with Knight you get all of that plus being a lot better on the ball.

Just feels like we go through this every few weeks. Shinnie plays, looks limited. Gets dropped because he inhibits us on the ball (not that we’re really better without him), fans ask why Shinnie isn’t playing and he gets back in the team. Repeat. I do like him but as I say he feels like natural competition to Knight, who is probably our most effective player.

Why are we asking knight to do something that’s not really his game????? Putting square pegs in round holes is partially why we are in this mess in the first place 

Putting him in this role Is also inhibiting his progress as he isn’t a destructive force. He’s a box to box midfielder, so let’s allow him to play that role!

The only combative defensive midfielders in the squad are Shinnie and Beilik and only one is fit.

You don’t need to be a good passer (although it’s great if you are), you need to tip the midfield battle in your favour to allow the passers and creators to play!

Wycombe will have no qualms about placing battlers in their midfield against us and smothering us and they will and we could well lose.

Unless we start winning the midfield battles then we will end up in League 1 simple as!

Think Shinnie is a victim of the change in formation, the 4231 doesn’t really suit him. Shame because he’s a quality player, the energy he brings is far better than anything Rooney brings to the table.

Davies is an odd one. He shouldn’t be any more than cover at his age, yet I feel like we need him in the side just for a bit of leadership and organisation. I mean Wisdom has been utterly dreadful this season, he doesn’t look like he’s back to himself after the stabbing incident. He shouldn’t be playing imo. Davies probably should be there instead, but you’ve got Te Weirik too, who just seems to have been bombed out?! Bizzare, it really is.

On 26/11/2020 at 13:38, Millenniumram said:

Think Shinnie is a victim of the change in formation, the 4231 doesn’t really suit him. Shame because he’s a quality player, the energy he brings is far better than anything Rooney brings to the table.

Didn't look great today. Him and Evans were never gonna control midfield and lack of decent possession 2nd half cost us.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Didn't look great today. Him and Evans were never gonna control midfield and lack of decent possession 2nd half cost us.

Thought he was decent myself, certainly better than Evans. Won back possession a fair few times. Put him next to Bielik again and you’ll have a better shield. Not that 4-2-3-1 is the way I’d go mind.

Archived