Deep rooted problems

IslandExile

8 hours ago, SouthStandDan said:

The more I think about it, the more I think about relegation, the more positives I could take out of going down. It would be a proper reset button, to eradicate the appalling recruitment we've had since Mel Morris was involved in the club. Our academy is good enough to take the club forward but I think we would need to take the ultimate step back to actually see the real benefits of that investment. 

I thought when Cocu was hired that we would finally be gone of the player power mentality behind the scenes at the football club. What showed me tonight is that Rooney is an egotistical man who still thinks he's the best player in the league. He turned in one of the worst performances from a captain I can remember for some time. As a co manager, he should have done the right thing and took himself off with at least 30 minutes to go. He offered nothing, he influenced nothing. We're trying to fit a player into the team who's more than likely retiring at the end of the season. I'm all for using Rooney's playing experience, but for some idiotic reason, I feel like we're building a team to suit him. Which is wrong. It's a team game. Rooney needs to stop thinking about his own career aspirations for one second and think about the team balance. I dont care if it's Rooney, if you're not pulling your weight, you need to be treated the same as any other player and go and sit on the bench, for playing awful. The team and the club need to stop putting this guy on a golden pedestal. The novelty has worn off, we are in a fight for survival. But nobody at the club has the guts to say anything.

I cant wait for Rooney to retire at the end of the season. I know it seems we are using him as a scapegoat. I think more supporters are realising that his awful performances are a big part of dragging this team down the gutter. If Rooney seriously wants to become Derby manager, get his ass on that bench and stop playing football.

Good points but can't help feeling that Rooney is not right for us as a manager , looking at the training pics and video after Cocu departed its obvious he's one of the lads so to speak and don't think he's capable of distancing himself from that environment enough to make big decisions when he's still  one of the lads!

I really only see one way out of this , clear out all of the first team coaches and bring in a strong no nonsense character as manager , adding Maclaren has only added to the mess for me ...this club needs strong leadership and direction....i bet Cocu is well pleased to be right out of it.....

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

baalocks, just because there's alot of people to blame doesn't absolve them all of blame . Morris is to blame mostly , current players need to take responsibility but Cocu is also largely at fault for implement inadequate tactics for this level and making us play like turgid robots. Nothing about deep rooted problems just a collateral set of baalocks with alot of individuals largely to blame with an element of misfortune also in there. 

Stop blaming Mel for everything.

In his 5-6 years of owning Derby, have you ever thought Mel was the right man for the job? If the answer is yes, your ramblings on the same subject need to stop.

If no, then you must be one of the hardest people to please because I can assure you, Mel has tried his best to do right for our club every step of the way. Even when it comes to selling the club, he would probably sell it to the lowest bidder if it meant the club was going into the right hands. 

2 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Stop blaming Mel for everything.

In his 5-6 years of owning Derby, have you ever thought Mel was the right man for the job? If the answer is yes, your ramblings on the same subject need to stop.

He's in charge, we've been a vanity project - talk of leaving a legacy and such. The road to hell is paved with good intentions!

From Mac1 to Mac3 what a dizzying drop!

10 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Tonight is the first time in a long time where I've just felt completely despondent. It's my fault for being a grown ass man and letting something I can't control (Derby's results) really affect my mood. I've spent most of my evening driving and the same thoughts were going through my head.

This team is full of proven players at this level and some of the best prospect available anywhere in academy football. The quality of this team doesn't align with the position of the club. I can agree to some extent that the players may not be quite up to what I thought they were, but my god the absolute lowest this squad of players should be is midtable, lower midtable with the most conservative of advice. 

The preparation coming into the season, actually after Covid, has been beyond catastrophic. I like Cocu, but the preparation of this season will undoubtedly go into the history books as perhaps one of our worst ever. This season is in danger of becoming an historic one for all the wrong reasons, ironically the academy team look like they could win the U23 Premier League at the same time. How does something like that happen? It can only be down to a complete mismanagement of everything at first team level - and I mean absolutely everything. 

We aren't run as a professional outfit anymore and Mel Morris has done some good things for this club, but look at the situation we found ourselves in now? I really couldn't care less if a takeover is near, we absolutely need him to take some professional accountability and help stop this club going into division 3 for the second(?) time in its history. Rosenior, Rooney... what a complete and utter farce that is turning out to be. It needs addressing. I don't think Rooney is the worst player in the world, but he's the highest paid footballer in the Championship with far too much influence - he's been absolutely pivotal to putting this club at the bottom of the Championship. It's such a shame that a player of his standing is providing performances like this - as a manager this situation couldn't have been any worse for him. Derby fans, largely, can't stand the bloke anymore and this stain on his CV will certainly hinder the next move in his career considerably. 

We need to run this club like a business, not a video game. In order to get out of this cataclysmic tailspin, we need to start taking ourselves serious and understand the severity of the situation. We absolutely need a manager who will come in and command the respect of the players. We have very good young players in our team who are entrusting this club to do the best for their careers - whatever we're doing now is absolutely not the answer. All I ask is that we stop with the off-the-field sideshow, reduce the distractions and start running this club like a professional outfit. The gimmicks, the nonsense... the noise needs to completely stop until this club, that is at the heart of so many people going through a tough time this year, is safe of relegation. 

The PR - the forced training photos of players laughing - all needs to come to a halt. It's not doing anyone any favours. This four man managerial unit needs to come to a stop as of tomorrow morning, regardless of what we have to do in the meantime, we simply can't move forward in this fashion. 

Excellent post 

He used to say, when we were waiting for the coach to take us to a particularly tough looking match: ‘How many hearts have I got today?’

Knight, sibley, shinnie, Buchanan.......

Archived