v Wycombe (H) - Match Thread

Bubbles

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we should go 433 -

Marshall - Byrne Wisdom Clarke Buchanan - Knight Bielik Sibley - Waghorn CKR Jozwiak

I think if we're got go 433 then I would prefer Bielik to do the sitting with the energy of Knight & Sibley around him. Sibley has earnt a start for sure.

Waghorn is struggling up front and probably performed better last season from the right although not sure if he will be fit. Lawrence deserves to be dropped and CKR is the only experienced target man we have & the most like a Chris Martin 'type'.

I would like to see what CKR can do from the start and also how Jozwiak will do playing off more of a target man. The energy from Knight Sibley Waghorn & Jozwiak playing of a target man could really work imo. 

Not sure the current situation is the right time to try JHI/Stretton from the start.

Bench : Roos Fozzy MTW Bird Shinnie Holmes Whittaker Lawrence JHI/Stretton

15 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

I think we should go 433 -

Marshall - Byrne Wisdom Clarke Buchanan - Knight Bielik Sibley - Waghorn CKR Jozwiak

I think if we're got go 433 then I would prefer Bielik to do the sitting with the energy of Knight & Sibley around him. Sibley has earnt a start for sure.

Waghorn is struggling up front and probably performed better last season from the right although not sure if he will be fit. Lawrence deserves to be dropped and CKR is the only experienced target man we have & the most like a Chris Martin 'type'.

I would like to see what CKR can do from the start and also how Jozwiak will do playing off more of a target man. The energy from Knight Sibley Waghorn & Jozwiak playing of a target man could really work imo. 

Not sure the current situation is the right time to try JHI/Stretton from the start.

Bench : Roos Fozzy MTW Bird Shinnie Holmes Whittaker Lawrence JHI/Stretton

Is Bielik available or is he still down for u23 football 

51 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Well that’s a start at least. You can’t have your coaches on the pitch, especially not if they’re playing that badly. Hopefully this puts an end to all this committee nonsense, and instead we have one designated caretaker manager who is clearly in charge. 

Still think Rooney as manager is a horrendous call mind, even temporarily.

horrendous is the right word. But I don't think we really have him as a manager    - the job description is the price to get him off the pitch without embarrassment. Now we will have SM and LR persuading WR that their ideas were his own. I don't think they will find it difficult. Unfortunately they will not be able to talk to the media on his behalf, and he is awful at that

It's still far from perfect but, step by step ...

8 hours ago, Uptherams said:

The focal point is Sibley. What is it with this out of date view on football. Got to play some slow big lad up top who can't score as a focal point. Rubbish.

The focal point can be 10 yards deeper. They can play between the lines. They can be facing the opposition's goal. 

Too many of our fans are calling for what isn't working, which is effectively anyone to slot into the same table football forward position. The position itself needs changing. 

Rooney hasn’t played there yet. He got ten minutes yesterday and we created 3 chances one was Sibley getting through on goal running beyond Rooney as I said.

Playing Sibley up top on his own will just produce the same result as Waghorn. 
If you want to play attacking attractive let’s say Mac style football in a 4-3-3 you have to have someone who can hold the ball up and pass it on, whether that’s on the air or on the floor. Examples include Mitrovic at Fulham, Martin at Derby, Pukki at Norwich. They don’t have to be old and slow but they need to know where to be to recieve the ball and where to position their body when they can’t get the ball so the defender can’t clear it easily so the other attackers can get  up and support. 

Play Sibley there and it will just get recycled by the other team and we’re under pressure at the back again. 

Best example for Derby is Martin. Whenever we were under pressure we just hit it in his general direction and he either held it up long enough for Bryson and co to get around and beyond him or he put his back into the defender and we either won a free kick or the defender miscues his header and they were under pressure. 

I’m not saying Rooney is the answer long term, but we need someone to do that until January and then get someone else to do it better if we can. 

But Sibley is far better being the man receiving the ball of a number 9 running in behind. 

9 hours ago, Uptherams said:

Thus perfectly illustrating why Sibley should be a false 9. Those three might be recognised as strikers, but ability supercedes that. Did Kaz do anything last night? 

Sibley yet again perfectly illustrated that he can create chances on his own and link up well with others. There's no point playing any of the three above, because they'd barely see the ball. 

Sibley to me is the focal point in this squad. The playmaker. Whiticker, Jozwiak and Knight will all have something more to offer playing alongside Sibley. 

With Sibley in that position with those players, I see all 4 capable of scoring goals. Put in Kaz, Ingram, Stretton, even Rooney and I don't see anyone capable of scoring. 

Some of our fans are trying to put the hope of goals on a single forward. It's not going to happen. The point of Sibley is to bring the best out in others as much as it is for him to bag some goals. 

I achually thought Kaz did alright when he came on won flick ons as well as knock downs when we are playing the big ball over the top to him that's his job he did it better then Rooney and waghorn did! 

Gone on a rant in another thread explaining my team selection , well the front 6 anyway so here goes . 

Marshall

Byrne.       Davies.      Clarke.  Buchanan

Shinnie.    Bielik

Waghorn.        Sibley.        Jozwiak

Lawrence

14 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Now we will have SM and LR persuading WR that their ideas were his own. I don't think they will find it difficult. Unfortunately they will not be able to talk to the media on his behalf, and he is awful at that

You're a joker. Rooney is an astute footballer. The problems have been down to Mr Post-it Note Rosenior, who took Buchanan off and put Holmes & Richards on! Rooney is also decent in front of camera. I'm looking forward to seeing how he gets on as manager proper. #COYR

40 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

horrendous is the right word. But I don't think we really have him as a manager    - the job description is the price to get him off the pitch without embarrassment. Now we will have SM and LR persuading WR that their ideas were his own. I don't think they will find it difficult. Unfortunately they will not be able to talk to the media on his behalf, and he is awful at that

It's still far from perfect but, step by step ...

I just want a proper manager man. Is it that much to ask for?

32 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You're a joker. Rooney is an astute footballer. The problems have been down to Mr Post-it Note Rosenior, who took Buchanan off and put Holmes & Richards on! Rooney is also decent in front of camera. I'm looking forward to seeing how he gets on as manager proper. #COYR

you seemed very pleased with the way LR ran the Bristol game, except for the last third of the pitch, where he does not have the players. Rooney has a fabulous football brain. So did Beckham. Neither of them as good as Gascoigne.  I wouldn't put any of them up for Brain of Britain, would you? Rooney will divide and demotivate players because he has the EQ of a potato. And the notion that he (with his massive skills deficits) can step into a role like this without experience/badges is simply comical, Roy, farcical. Lampard is in a different class. 

"decent in front of a camera'???  Are you confusing him with someone else ???

The Joker

Just now, kevinhectoring said:

you seemed very pleased with the way LR ran the Bristol game, except for the last third of the pitch, where he does not have the players.

They played well. Wouldn't have been happy with being sent a note if I was Rooney. But who chose what? Why not put JHL on sooner?

Yeah EQ is important but you under estimate Rooney because he is not an educated man. Classic mistake. I imagine Lampard is one of the smartest footballers/managers out there - he's in a minority!

Wycombe will bypass the midfield at every opportunity. That makes the need for a midfielder like Shinnie redundant. We can afford to stick with one DM (a tidy accurate passer) and two more creative players in front.

Bird-Knight-Sibley beckons. The 25 minutes they had together last night was promising so why not give it an extended run?

18 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

They played well. Wouldn't have been happy with being sent a note if I was Rooney. But who chose what? Why not put JHL on sooner?

Yeah EQ is important but you under estimate Rooney because he is not an educated man. Classic mistake. I imagine Lampard is one of the smartest footballers/managers out there - he's in a minority!

IT'S GOT NOWT TO DO WITH EDUCATION.  IT'S ABOUT BEING SMART      (sorry, caps were already on  ? )

Marshall 

Byrne davies Clarke Buchanan 

Knight bird

Whittaker.   Sibley.     Jozwiak 

JHI   

To be honest id be happy for Duncan, JHI or Stretton be given a go upfront. Its based on nothing other than our coaching dream team says we lack confidence. Give a young un a go to play without fear & a chance to impress. Never know they might actually have a shot on target & move in the box 

59 minutes ago, David said:

I think the difficulty is Rooney still thinks he can make a difference on the pitch, probably backed himself to manage on the training pitch then be a player on Saturday.

It hasn’t worked, and now we get to see him with his full focus on managing which will be interesting to see.

Really hoping we move away from the 4-2-3-1, either 4-3-3 with Bird sitting or 3-4-3 with Shinnie and Knight.

No disrespect, but we really should not need 2 defensive midfielders against Wycombe.

I think you are right about Rooney and that's the problem. It's the problem with a player manager and one particularly with Rooney's mentality, he's going to back himself to make a difference even when he can't or will make things worse. There is no objectivity in it. Take last night for example, the only reason he doesn't get taken off is because he is in charge at least in part.

I also agree about needing to move past 2 defensive midfielders. It works if the attacking players it provides a platform for are firing and they aren't so we need to get more going forwards. The only thing I'd disagree with is knight and shinnie in a 343 I think you want Bird over Shinnie as a playmaker.

Archived