RIP Diego Maradona

Bubbles

30 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Was Geoff 17? Wow I guess Alan Ball must have been 13!

Bit of an odd marker. The WC final falls every four years, a very low percentage of players would actually be 17 when the world cup falls. So by logic, anyone 18,19, or 20 when the world cup falls is technically achieving the same feat. It’s one of those annoying stats that are false. Like when one fixture at the start of the season kicks off on a Friday night, and someone scores and it’s the first goal of the season, as if scored quicker than every other player. Even though the others haven’t had chance to. 

anyway Pele was great but not as great as others. He’s second tier for me. That world cup, Garrincha was amazing and Pele would’ve got nowhere near the final had he not been brazilian. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 26/11/2020 at 23:21, TigerTedd said:

I’ve heard a lot about Maradona, enough to believe I was there. But in truth I was just too young. I didn’t really get into football til the early 90s, when his star had faded. So I never fully understood the hype. 

I just watched the Diego Maradona documentary. I feel like a really get it now.

ive ended up with a great feeling of sadness. I didn’t have to miss it. He could have been lighting up the world well into the 90s if he’d have looked after himself. It’s not like he didn’t live up to his potential and didn’t achieve anything. He achieved pretty much all you could achieve, and did it all in a relatively short career. But he could have achieved so much more, he could have lived a lot longer, and left a legacy that is, no matter how much you try to highlight his past achievements, irrevocably tainted.

Circumstances, drugs, and an addictive, destructive personality, absolutely screwed him over, and robbed the world of many more incredible moments, and it’s an absolute crying shame. 

Without his personality which tainted his character, he may never have achieved his greatness, as said of George Best. Such fame ,wealth and worship from so many.Who can say how anyone would deal with being made to feel immortal. Certainly a football world great.,and will always be remembered as much for his behaviour on and off the pitch as much as his talent.

Archived