RIP Diego Maradona

Bubbles

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

He was a drug addict - not a drug “taker”, someone who suffered horrific addiction problems.

With regards cheat - I lied, cheat and steal (no Eddie Guerrero memes please) to get money to fund my addiction, does it make me one now? 

Fair enough having no sympathies, but please maybe see what he was, a lonely, taken advantage of person who came from a very poor background to be thrusted into a world where everything rested on his shoulders. Even those with the strongest mentalities would struggle with that expectation.

That's your opinion and your entitled to it. He cheated on the football pitch and to me that's the lowest of the low. 

13 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

His displays in the 86 world Cup were jaw dropping. 

I'd never seen anyone display skill, athleticism and hunger game after game like that before. 

Italy, England, Belgium, West Germany all put to the sword in his swashbuckling style. 

Its a shame that Football Italia wasn't on our screens during his halcyon Napoli days.

The L'equipe front page today is a masterpiece. 

Obviously not to the same level as Argentina but he is revered in France. All my football friends there saw the genius not the cheat, including me.

50 minutes ago, ziggyram59 said:

That's your opinion and your entitled to it. He cheated on the football pitch and to me that's the lowest of the low. 

Have you ever watched a football game where is no pulling, no diving, no pushing, nobody trying to con the ref ? I haven't.

Ballet on the other hand, they are very well behaved but it is not quite the same.

I’ve heard a lot about Maradona, enough to believe I was there. But in truth I was just too young. I didn’t really get into football til the early 90s, when his star had faded. So I never fully understood the hype. 

I just watched the Diego Maradona documentary. I feel like a really get it now.

ive ended up with a great feeling of sadness. I didn’t have to miss it. He could have been lighting up the world well into the 90s if he’d have looked after himself. It’s not like he didn’t live up to his potential and didn’t achieve anything. He achieved pretty much all you could achieve, and did it all in a relatively short career. But he could have achieved so much more, he could have lived a lot longer, and left a legacy that is, no matter how much you try to highlight his past achievements, irrevocably tainted.

Circumstances, drugs, and an addictive, destructive personality, absolutely screwed him over, and robbed the world of many more incredible moments, and it’s an absolute crying shame. 

3 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

I’ve heard a lot about Maradona, enough to believe I was there. But in truth I was just too young. I didn’t really get into football til the early 90s, when his star had faded. So I never fully understood the hype. 

I just watched the Diego Maradona documentary. I feel like a really get it now.

ive ended up with a great feeling of sadness. I didn’t have to miss it. He could have been lighting up the world well into the 90s if he’d have looked after himself. It’s not like he didn’t live up to his potential and didn’t achieve anything. He achieved pretty much all you could achieve, and did it all in a relatively short career. But he could have achieved so much more, he could have lived a lot longer, and left a legacy that is, no matter how much you try to highlight his past achievements, irrevocably tainted.

Circumstances, drugs, and an addictive, destructive personality, absolutely screwed him over, and robbed the world of many more incredible moments, and it’s an absolute crying shame. 

He did everything you could achieve in a football career, it wasn't just the drugs and booze that ducked him , it was the years of being smashed in tackles by the only means able to stop him, his knees were more ducked than a Arnhem Vet, and by what I can gather he had no regrets, he won everything there was to win......LEGEND

8 hours ago, ziggyram59 said:

Name a footballer that hasn’t cheated. I bet you can’t, unless you have selective criteria prejudiced to only include Diego. Is Thierry Henry a cheat in your eyes? What about anyone who claims a corner or throw in when they know the ball touched them last? Are they low cheats for you? Where is the line? 

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

I wonder if those disrespectful to Maradona on the basis of his vices would be more respectful and upset had he been the lead singer in a band from the 80s instead of the greatest footballer ever! ??‍♂️ 

True. I don’t care that Elvis died, he was a big fat drug abuser. I don’t care that Brian Clough died, he was an alcoholic. I don’t care that Amy Winehouse, or Jimmi Hendrix, or Mark Bolan or countless others died. They got what was coming to them and their wicked ways. 

it’s a tragedy, it always is when a genius is taken early. Especially when you feel the true depths of their genius hadn’t yet been fully realised, if only they’d been looked after right, or lived in today’s world. Lots of people criticise today’s world for being snow flakey, and health and safety gone mad, but the sad part of Diego’s story wouldn’t have happened if he lived today (it would probably be replaced by tax evasion and agent related corruption mind). 

On 26/11/2020 at 20:27, ziggyram59 said:

What about every player that he calls corner or throw in when they know it's not. 

11 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Pele is a fraud. Bulk of his stats are against equivalent of Mickleover Sports. 

Utter bollo..... he is the best by an absolute mile. 
he can do anything maradonna did and a whole lot more besides. 

Archived