RIP Diego Maradona

Bubbles

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad day for football fans all over the world.  Such a joy to watch in his heyday.  Has anybody ever owned a World Cup like he did in '86?  Destroyed teams in an era when defenders could kick lumps out of him for 90 mins.  It's a shame that his off the field lifestyle has caught up with him and taken him early.  His legacy as a football legend is secure.

Rest in Peace.

There's a documentary somewhere, it will surface now I reckon. It's quite saddening to see how he was alone in Naples and literally exploited by wannabe Mafiosa bosses, and treated like a personal entertainer in the early hours before a game.

They ruined him. He was always hot-blooded and hot-headed, but he was alone.

Just now, Mostyn6 said:

There's a documentary somewhere, it will surface now I reckon. It's quite saddening to see how he was alone in Naples and literally exploited by wannabe Mafiosa bosses, and treated like a personal entertainer in the early hours before a game.

They ruined him. He was always hot-blooded and hot-headed, but he was alone.

The Maradona film highlights this..... weirdly enough my wife watched it a few weeks ago, she knows nothing at all about football and even less about Maradona.....she had watched it up until he moved to Naples and I asked her what she thought of him her reply was something like "he seems a really nice sensible family man, i like him"............i told her that the second half of the film may portray him slightly differently.....she didnt watch it...so i am guessing she is just about the only person who still has the opinion that he was a clean living family man...

1 hour ago, HorsforthRam said:

Brilliant talent. Brilliant to watch. Genuinely exciting. It will be a shame if all posters can point to is his handball. Thanks for the memories growing up in the 80s. RIP

The shirt from that game is owned by Radio Nottingham nobber and former Rams loanee Steve Hodge who swapped after the game .  Was on loan at the football museum and was valued at 250k about twenty years ago. At the time the most valuable football shirt in the world .  Done know if it still is

People will have differing opinions about who is the best ever, but he was definitely up there in a very select group, with probably only Pele, Ronaldo and Messi for company. Considering who might be in the 'best of the rest' selection, i.e. Di Stefano, Puskas, Best, Cruyff, Zico, Socrates, Zidane, then it just shows how great he really was.

5 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

You're probably right. But, equally, why shouldn't I express a different view? It's allowed in every other thread.

Out of curiosity why do you have such a low opinion ?

Don't get me wrong if I could pick someone to go for a pint with he wouldn't be close to the top of my list but I have no Ill feelings. 

I know he has battled addiction and this impacted his career, notably being kicked out of a world cup.

Lots of people battle addiction.

Archived