Young Gun To Come Good

Dean (hick) Saunders

Given we have what we have until Jan at least, we could really do with one of the young strikers making step up (scoring/creating goals).

Who do we think best suits the other players we have do you think?

I guess we are talking one off:

Trialist(AKA JHI), Whitaker, Stretton

May not be the best finisher. Who can hold up/link up? Would they play well with Kamil/Lawrence? Do they make the kind of runs that Rooney/Bird long passing game would suite?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whittaker for running in if ball played long into space (which we never seem to have because we prefer the slow build up);

JHI in and around the edge of the box and also poaching in the box; would be good on end of low crosses from Jozwiak or Buchanan because if he doesn't score he will win penalties

Someone (not sure whether Ryan Conway or Steve Nico) asked about Stretton and was told he's nowhere near ready yet, having only just made the step up to under 23s. 

I am not sure who will play well with Lawrence because his decision making is just poor - I keep expecting it to click with him but I am starting to think it never will. ?

4 minutes ago, angieram said:

Someone (not sure whether Ryan Conway or Steve Nico) asked about Stretton and was told he's nowhere near ready yet, having only just made the step up to under 23s. 

Someone posted that in reply to a post about Stretton I made, think they said Steeley.

I think it will come down to how well the young lads train. Afterall they said that's why Holmes got the last gig.

Hector-Ingram is the most accomplished/experienced, so seems the obvious choice to go to for me if we’re looking at replacing Waghorn up front with a young lad. He seems relatively strong too, and looks to know where the net is. Probably deserves a chance given his age, and how poorly our other forwards are playing. Stretton would probably feel he warrants a chance too given his U23 form, but it might be a little early for him.

There’s also the wildcard of Bobby Duncan to consider as well, of course...

15 minutes ago, angieram said:

Whittaker for running in if ball played long into space (which we never seem to have because we prefer the slow build up);

JHI in and around the edge of the box and also poaching in the box; would be good on end of low crosses from Jozwiak or Buchanan because if he doesn't score he will win penalties

I am not sure who will play well with Lawrence because his decision making is just poor - I keep expecting it to click with him but I am starting to think it never will. ?

Lawrence is too old now to improve as he never has in any reality and as has been said Stretton is to young in terms of not being ready 

19 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Someone posted that in reply to a post about Stretton I made, think they said Steeley.

I think it will come down to how well the young lads train. Afterall they said that's why Holmes got the last gig.

That was me and they have repeated it on tonight's phone in

We need a presence in the box. Whittaker is the sort to ping shots in front around the edge of the box, so isn't the man we need at CF. Keep him as an option on the wing where he won't be bullied by opposition CBs.

Trialist and Stretton are fairly similar in style, but I think Trialist is closer to being ready, as he'll be more of a nuisance for the opposition. He uses his body exceptionally well to draw fouls as well which would be a welcomed bonus.

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

We need a presence in the box. Whittaker is the sort to ping shots in front around the edge of the box, so isn't the man we need at CF. Keep him as an option on the wing where he won't be bullied by opposition CBs.

Trialist and Stretton are fairly similar in style, but I think Trialist is closer to being ready, as he'll be more of a nuisance for the opposition. He uses his body exceptionally well to draw fouls as well which would be a welcomed bonus.

I agree about JHI's physicality but Stretton for me is the more natural goalscorer. 

Trialist's goals have been from penalties or bundled home in 'can't miss' situations. 

Stretton has scored with headers and nice finishes. 

However, he may find championship defenders too tough. 

I'd love to see them play together, I really would. 

I've seen nothing from Lawrence and Waghorn which means they can't both be dropped. 

JHI and Stretton are more likely to be close to Jozwiak when he creates chances. 

We have to make changes in forward positions.  We keep persisting with Lawrence and his poor decision making and selfishness up front, and Waghorn constantly wandering offside multiply times every game. When will the powers that be realise that neither are and will make us right, no matter how many times they are played. As the saying goes, ' you cant polish a turd'. Try the youngsters up front, something fresh for a change and see if it makes a difference. If things don't improve, at least we have tried something different. Get JHI and Duncan up there, and as soon as we score one, I can see the heavens opening for us.

Not convinced by the JHI hype these days. He's not exactly tearing U23s apart. He hasn't been in the side, although he has had a few minutes in the first team.

Time will tell but he's not looked anything special yet. Stretton may overtake him.

13 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I agree about JHI's physicality but Stretton for me is the more natural goalscorer. 

Trialist's goals have been from penalties or bundled home in 'can't miss' situations. 

Stretton has scored with headers and nice finishes. 

However, he may find championship defenders too tough. 

I'd love to see them play together, I really would. 

I've seen nothing from Lawrence and Waghorn which means they can't both be dropped. 

JHI and Stretton are more likely to be close to Jozwiak when he creates chances. 

I think you need to watch this. Granted there are loads of penalties (mostly won by the man himself) but there are also many excellent finishes.

I particularly like his quick feet, gets the ball under control and shoots early.

Granted this was last season and against kids, but shows a lot of promise, imo.

35 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Not convinced by the JHI hype these days. He's not exactly tearing U23s apart. He hasn't been in the side, although he has had a few minutes in the first team.

Time will tell but he's not looked anything special yet. Stretton may overtake him.

I think he's played 2 games and scored 1 goal. He's been involved in the first team so he hasn't been involved as much.

24 minutes ago, angieram said:

I think you need to watch this. Granted there are loads of penalties (mostly won by the man himself) but there are also many excellent finishes.

I particularly like his quick feet, gets the ball under control and shoots early.

Granted this was last season and against kids, but shows a lot of promise, imo.

at least half of those goals were penalty's 

25 minutes ago, Rammed79 said:

Whatever happened to Tyree Wilson? doesn't seem that long ago Lampard was talking him up to be the next big thing 

Picked up what looked like a very bad injury a month ago. Wasn't as bad as first thought and he returned to the team during the international break.

Still a promising player but needs to settle on a position and add some end product to his game.

1 hour ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Hector a name synonymous with Goal, Goals, Goals

Give JHI a chance & by that I mean more than 5 mins here and there. 

Waghorn has done his best but alas he isn’t a striker, give JHI an opportunity as part of a pair in a 442

I have, up to now, reserved judgement on Waghorn. Having taken a much greater look at him since we sold our main source of goals and assists I have to say, I’m very disappointed. Whilst he takes a good direct free kick, there’s very little else coming from him. He’s quite pugnacious but his passing range is about 4 yards, he doesn’t have a great shot and he invariably fluffs 1:1s. I can’t actually recall him ever heading the ball, apart from once when he scored a header when he was virtually lying down. I know he got 18 goals playing for Ipswich the other season but I do wonder how he managed that. Did we really pay £5m? 
I don’t like publicly berating our players but we lumped 4 crosses into Bristol’s box on Saturday and each time Waghorn was conspicuously absent. Do we think he needs some re-introductory positional education or are we still playing a “false 9”. Or what?! ?‍♂️

Archived