Your favourite goalkeepers of all time

Cisse

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lev Yashin - brilliant Russian goalie, played all in black.

Bert Trautmann - German ex-POW. Extremely brave 'keeper in days when centre-forwards were allowed to crash into them.

Reg Matthews - first 'keeper I watched at the BBG. Brave as he dived at a forwards feet in a crowded penalty area.

Coiln Boulton - so underrated but won two Division 1 Championship medals.

As you can see all of these goalkeepers played in the 1950's/ 60's & 70's, so you can guess my age from them.

Harry Gregg. Used to make my dad take me to Filbert St when ManU were playing there and stand behind the goal! He was the 1st keeper I saw who was constantly on the move - as opposed to being a spectator when the ball was at the other end as most keepers were. Meant I also got to see the Busby babes as well.

1. Vladimir Nabokov

2. Albert Camus

3. Stephen Bywater

The holy trinity.

"I was crazy about goal keeping. In Russia and the Latin countries, that gallant art had been always surrounded with a halo of singular glamour. Aloof, solitary, impassive, the crack goalie is followed in the streets by entranced small boys. He vies with the matador and the flying ace as an object of thrilled adulation. His sweater, his peaked cap, his kneeguards, the gloves protruding from the hip pocket of his shorts, set him apart from the rest of the team. He is the lone eagle, the man of mystery, the last defender."

- Nabokov

22 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Looks like we've got a reader here.

You certainly won't end up as a waffle waitress.

I have read bits of The Stranger and some essays on Camus' works but can't claim to be that much of a reader really. Big Hicks fan though.

I used to play in goals as a kid, and always pretended to be Poom, right down to the way he would venture out to the edge of his area and beyond to marshall his defenders, before the move to 11 a-side goals meant, as a somewhat late-developer, I was more suited to playing full back. I do enjoy playing in net still on the odd occasions I play though. I just remember a BBC segment called "L'etranger" about goalkeeping which I had taped that I used to watch often (we only had four channels) and I remember wondering who Camus, Pope John Paul II and Nabokov played for...

I figured Lyon, Celtic and Spartak Moscow.

1 hour ago, JoetheRam said:

I have read bits of The Stranger and some essays on Camus' works but can't claim to be that much of a reader really. Big Hicks fan though.

I used to play in goals as a kid, and always pretended to be Poom, right down to the way he would venture out to the edge of his area and beyond to marshall his defenders, before the move to 11 a-side goals meant, as a somewhat late-developer, I was more suited to playing full back. I do enjoy playing in net still on the odd occasions I play though. I just remember a BBC segment called "L'etranger" about goalkeeping which I had taped that I used to watch often (we only had four channels) and I remember wondering who Camus, Pope John Paul II and Nabokov played for...

I figured Lyon, Celtic and Spartak Moscow.

Read ‘The Outsider’ by Camus. Great stuff. Naturally I prefer the existential, philosophical ramblings of Bywater but still. 

4 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

1. Vladimir Nabokov

2. Albert Camus

3. Stephen Bywater

The holy trinity.

"I was crazy about goal keeping. In Russia and the Latin countries, that gallant art had been always surrounded with a halo of singular glamour. Aloof, solitary, impassive, the crack goalie is followed in the streets by entranced small boys. He vies with the matador and the flying ace as an object of thrilled adulation. His sweater, his peaked cap, his kneeguards, the gloves protruding from the hip pocket of his shorts, set him apart from the rest of the team. He is the lone eagle, the man of mystery, the last defender."

- Nabokov

“Everything I know about morality and the obligations of men, I owe it to football.” - Stephen Bywater

"Get your rat out" - Albert Camus

Archived