442 for heavens sake

jono

Ok so I am going to be shot down by sages who know everything about heat maps, phases, overloads and numbers in midfield, passes per minute and all the rest of techi football.....  but I love 442

you defend the full width of the pitch, you advance the full width of the pitch. You also have 4 midfielders.  Then, depending on how you are doing the wingers and fullbacks move up and down in pairs or in the case of the wingers move inside to help out if the CM 2 are getting pushed. You have 2 CM’s who cover each other or work together.

Then you have what we really lack .... two strikers working in tandem .. pulling CB’s out of position, confounding well worked plans and feeding off each other. And with 2 of them there you have a chance of at least one in the box to meet a cross from your flying wingers who are over lapping with your LB and RB. 

4231, 451, 434 .. ack, it’s just numbers ... need 2 front men ...

Puskas / Di Stefano .. Keegan / Toshack .. Rebrov /Shevchenko ..  Cole / Yorke 

The fundamentals of 11 strong men and a ball doesn’t change. 

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, jono said:

Ok so I am going to be shot down by sages who know everything about heat maps, phases, overloads and numbers in midfield, passes per minute and all the rest of techi football.....  but I love 442

you defend the full width of the pitch, you advance the full width of the pitch. You also have 4 midfielders.  Then, depending on how you are doing the wingers and fullbacks move up and down in pairs or in the case of the wingers move inside to help out if the CM 2 are getting pushed. You have 2 CM’s who cover each other or work together.

Then you have what we really lack .... two strikers working in tandem .. pulling CB’s out of position, confounding well worked plans and feeding off each other. And with 2 of them there you have a chance of at least one in the box to meet a cross from your flying wingers who are over lapping with your LB and RB. 

Puskas and Di Stefano didn't play in a 442. 

5 minutes ago, jono said:

Have we got two strikers ?

Just now, Dimmu said:

Under Cocu, we mostly defended with flat 4-4-2 when opposition was in our half. If we pressed, it was most likely with 4-4-2 diamond. As does many other teams as well, never mind what the graphics tell before the game,

Who were the 2? That never ever happened under Cocu or yesterday 

10 minutes ago, jono said:

You're Mike Bassett and I claim my £5

12 minutes ago, jono said:

https://footballsgreatest.weebly.com/real-madrid-1955-1960.html

17 minutes ago, jono said:

Only 1 Sage young man. 

Not sure about 44, but not going with 2 upfront is insane.

Obviously a lone striker can work if you have a striker capable of playing the lone striker role. We don't, so it's ridiculous to keep trying it. Just play 2 strikers - we have CKR, Waghorn, Lawrence, JHI, Stretton and Whittaker...maybe even Rooney. We are also a full time professional club with a world class training ground - it ought to be possible to work out the best partnership in training.

We could play 442, 352, 3312 or even a Clough style 433 with two strikers and a winger who swaps flanks throughout the game. There's a reason why we now hold the record for the lowest scorers ever in this division after 12 games and it's not David Marshall. 

Archived