EFL appeal

Sith Happens

2 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

So let's get this right.... Every man and his dog has decided we deserve and are going to get a points deduction for next season because we didn't clarify enough the fact that for three years we used, and the EFL signed off on, an acceptable but different amortisation policy to the other clubs.....if so it's nothing more that a witch hunt. 

I think it's just scaremongering by the media.

13 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

As I posted last night, Sky at the end of that game on Saturday, the commentator said "there may be bleak news on the horizon, but for now Derby have done what they set out to do, stay in this division" or words to that effect.

Sounds to me everyone with sources in the right place know what we are about to face.

I'd read on Twitter last week someone had heard the announcement of a point deduction was today, that was before the papers started reported what they have.

All eyes on the corner flag.

Couple of things - Firstly, even the EFL wouldn't choose to make such an announcement on the first working day AFTER the last game of the season. Secondly, the EFL nor Sky nor anyone else would have prior notice of a decision ahead of the club, therefore wouldn't you find Morris/Pearce/Rooney's reactions after the game a little odd? Finally, the adjudication on the appeal would precede any punishment and surely we would hear about this in that order.

32 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

I know the saying “you reap what you sow” comes to mind but all the off field antics is really starting to tarnish my love for the game. 

Did Derby splash the cash under the presumption we’d get promoted? Yes

Did Derby fail to gain promotion in typical Derby manner? Yes

Are we in enough mud as it is without other clubs poking their noses in to our business? Yes

As far as I can tell we’ve used every loophole going. Which of course is against the spirit of the game. However if the loopholes are there then it is the EFL’s problem and they should change their rules to make them water tight. 

For saying football was in uproar in regards to the super league. It’s disgusting how the EFL and a handful of clubs are going out of their way to kill off a founding member of the football league. Have a day off.

In terms of loopholes we have watched 

Leicester city 

QPR 

Bournemouth  

watford 

Birmingham

Notts florets 

Aston Villa 

to name but a few who have circumvented the ‘rules’ to try to be competitive with the parachute payment clubs.

without question we were ultimately affected by those clubs actions and failed on promotion whilst having tiny expenditure in comparison especially QPR Bournemouth and Watford in my opinion. 

I see large numbers of supporters are still up to their eyes in denial then. More "nothing to see here" nonsense.

Just like there was nothing to see when we had to sell the ground to balance the books, and take out loans, and missed paying the players.

But yeah, it's all a conspiracy and we're white as snow. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/05/10/wayne-rooney-proof-need-great-players-rarely-make-great-managers/amp/

Tom Gibbs, so-called senior sports reporter, describes Derby County as a “basket-case Club” in the above article.

How very dare he? Why is this “ witch hunt” occurring? Where’s the evidence? I know MM has a fair few things on his plate right now, so no blame if the Club ignores this, but I would call this chap out without question. Just pure muck-raking and not acceptable from a paper that is supposed to be intelligent and objective.

”It seems naive to have imagined Rooney could thrive with a basket case club like Derby, but magical thinking powers a worrying number of football’s biggest decision.”

ADFA8B5E-67A6-4113-A342-B203C14DF960.png

Edited by Ellafella

34 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

The Sun headline is sensationalised (there’s a shock) but the owner of Wycombe mentioned that ‘something is going on at Derby’ which along with a lot of the other comments, i.e Warne saying it’s disappointing we didn’t get relegated, would lead me to believe that a points deduction is incoming. 

It will definitely be applied next season, but this is very similar to Charlton and Wednesday last season. It also makes me believe that we are getting a points deduction which the club are ill-prepared for. I think Reading and a few others are due a point deduction too, so we will have to see how that plays out. I’d imagine like us they can kick the can down the road and prolong it. Half the championship at this point are pretty much due a point deduction in some form or another. 

I would think that the only things Warne and the Wycombe owner know is the clickbait nonsense that Nixon put out. Highly doubt Warne knows anything . Do agree that a lot of clubs could be in financial trouble  though including us as a result of Covid. The EFL should be finding ways of supporting clubs not punishing them. If that's there MO may as well give the relegated clubs  promotion now as they are the only ones who will have any money.

2 minutes ago, LittleEatonRam said:

I see large numbers of supporters are still up to their eyes in denial then. More "nothing to see here" nonsense.

Just like there was nothing to see when we had to sell the ground to balance the books, and take out loans, and missed paying the players.

But yeah, it's all a conspiracy and we're white as snow. 

I dont think fans are in denial just nobody knows for a fact yet and nobody has suggested the club has been managed in a way that is "white as snow." Why get your knickers in a twist until something is fact rather than speculation

12 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Leicester city 

QPR 

Bournemouth  

watford 

Birmingham

Notts florets 

Aston Villa 

to name but a few who have circumvented the ‘rules’ to try to be competitive with the parachute payment clubs.

without question we were ultimately affected by those clubs actions and failed on promotion whilst having tiny expenditure in comparison especially QPR Bournemouth and Watford in my opinion. 

Middlesbrough prime candidates to be added to this list selling clubs debts to Gibsons haulage company.

13 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Leicester city 

QPR 

Bournemouth  

watford 

Birmingham

Notts florets 

Aston Villa 

True - I would add that virtually every club that has been promoted over the last 10 seasons or so has done it while massively over spending and skirting FFP using whichever means and mechanisms they can. We're so exposed because we've failed to make it....

The points deduction could be upto 12 points.

Sheffield wednesday had 12 points deducted and on appealing that this was reduced to 6 points.

The point is yes a points deduction can be appealed, that could mean something similar to Sheffield wednesday in a 6 points deduction.

If its a points deduction its added to next season.

This all assumes Derby lose the appeal.

It assumes Derby are deducted 12 points.

All these things are unknown.

To many unknowns in derbys current fate.

Efl could choose to deny Derby county the chance to be taken over by alonso meaning the ownership situation rumbles on, perhaps to next season, meaning Derby don't have funds to build a better team.

11 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/05/10/wayne-rooney-proof-need-great-players-rarely-make-great-managers/amp/

Tom Gibbs, so-called senior sports reporter, describes Derby County as a “basket-case Club” in the above article.

How very dare he? Why is this “ witch hunt” occurring? Where’s the evidence? I know MM has a fair few things on his plate right now, so no blame if the Club ignores this, but I would call this chap out without question. Just pure muck-raking and not acceptable from a paper that is supposed to be intelligent and objective.

”It seems naive to have imagined Rooney could thrive with a basket case club like Derby, but magical thinking powers a worrying number of football’s biggest decision.”

ADFA8B5E-67A6-4113-A342-B203C14DF960.png

Turns out Gibbs is a ...QPR FAN. 

E57C05E7-1DA4-4E9A-84EC-41C4A61955F9.png

59 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The charge does not relate specifically to the methodology used and as such, this is not being contested, but rather to the fact that the way the practice was described in our annual report, 'could have been clearer'. 

Unfortunately the problem was in the notes to the accounts themselves, not just the annual report.  And weren’t the words ‘could have been clearer’ the words of the club’s auditor himself ?   He would hardly overstate the problem 

6 minutes ago, angieram said:

Surely the alleged 'offences' that happened, both regarding Wednesday and ourselves, happened in previous seasons anyway? 

So the clubs who 'lost out' have long been relegated and Wycombe weren't one of them! 

EFL sets itself up for this sort of grief with its opaque practice and long winded processes.

Yeah, it's a strange one. When you consider the losses by almost every team who has been in the division the last three or four years: 

Stoke City losses:
£15.4m in 18/19
£30m in 19/20
£87m in 20/21 

£132.4m in 3 seasons. I think because they've extended the years due to COVID that they will probably get a crushing point deduction in 2022-23 unless they can find a way to make a £100m profit this season. 

Reading, I think must be due one as they've made back-to-back £40m losses and wouldn't have made a profit before that. I'd suspect that they will be hit with sanctions this year. I think Forest will be close, despite posting a profit of more than £30m in the 17/18 season due to the takeover, 18/19 posted a £25m loss. 19/20 was a £32m loss and 20/21 is likely to be even higher (of course). I'm not sure about others, but I know Middlesbrough made a £35m loss this past season. 

We could see a flurry of clubs hit with a point deduction and fines in the next 2-3 seasons. I would suspect it will be us and Reading in 2021/22 and then Stoke, Forest and potentially others in 2022/23. 

1 minute ago, kevinhectoring said:

Unfortunately the problem was in the notes to the accounts themselves, not just the annual report.  And weren’t the words ‘could have been clearer’ the words of the club’s auditor himself ?   He would hardly overstate the problem 

So what?

The appeal is to do with 'describing' our accounting practice - a practice was allowed and signed off by the EFL, and isn't something that comes with a points deduction even if guilty.

6 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Turns out Gibbs is a ...QPR FAN. 

Well, well, well. They know all about cheating FFP don't they! No grudges there at all.

2 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Yeah, it's a strange one. When you consider the losses by almost every team who has been in the division the last three or four years: 

Stoke City losses:
£15.4m in 18/19
£30m in 19/20
£87m in 20/21 

£132.4m in 3 seasons. I think because they've extended the years due to COVID that they will probably get a crushing point deduction in 2022-23 unless they can find a way to make a £100m profit this season. 

Reading, I think must be due one as they've made back-to-back £40m losses and wouldn't have made a profit before that. I'd suspect that they will be hit with sanctions this year. I think Forest will be close, despite posting a profit of more than £30m in the 17/18 season due to the takeover, 18/19 posted a £25m loss. 19/20 was a £32m loss and 20/21 is likely to be even higher (of course). I'm not sure about others, but I know Middlesbrough made a £35m loss this past season. 

We could see a flurry of clubs hit with a point deduction and fines in the next 2-3 seasons. I would suspect it will be us and Reading in 2021/22 and then Stoke, Forest and potentially others in 2022/23. 

Football is dead fun isn’t it? What a lot of poo. 

25 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

That article was spot on. Plenty of home truths that some are not ready, or willing, to hear.