EFL appeal

Sith Happens

5 minutes ago, 1967Ram said:

Did Wycombe players celebrate then? 

We stayed up on a technicality for off the pitch business. The players have been woeful this season. We should be relieved... not celebrating like we've achieved some sort of success. The only saving grace is that half of them are going back to their parent club or contract is expiring.

A great opportunity to change the squads identity this summer.

3 minutes ago, Sheikh n Bake said:

Embarrassed by the adults in there yes. Most of them were kids though. 

How the hell can you be embarrassed. Yes we have been a complete shambles on and off the pitch. But celebrating beating relegation to league one which would have been disastrous is an embarrassment. I don’t know how as a fan you can say that tbh 

28 minutes ago, Albert said:

There is so much about this that doesn't pass the sniff test, the big ones being Alan Nixon's name being attached, and the notion that a decision could already be made but 'kept secret'. 

Edit: Also, they were only appealing the lesser charge, which doesn't have precedent for a large points deduction to my understanding. 

I think that the problem is that there's no precedent at all for a club changing it's accounting practices to get around P&S.

There is a common misconception that the appeal is around the bit we were found 'guilty' of - not being clear enough about the change. It isn't. The appeal is the whole 2nd charge, which effectively is using an unacceptable way to value players in order to gain an unfair advantage but appear to be with the P&S limits. It is a serious charge and EFL rules certainly do mean a points deduction would be possible. 

The reason that a points deduction is, IMO, very unlikely is that it appears that we didn't gain an advantage. If the figures are restated using straight line amortisation, we apparently are still within the limits, given that they have accepted the stadium transaction as legitimate. So I cannot see how any points deduction could be made as a result of the appeal. 

I think our problem is likely to be the effect that restating the figures has on the next round of P&S. If it pushes us over that limit, a points deduction for next season is almost inevitable. 

8 minutes ago, Sheikh n Bake said:

Embarrassed by the adults in there yes. Most of them were kids though. 

It was an outpouring of relief. You even mention the word ‘relieved’ in a previous post.

For some on here we were doomed, definitely going down. We didn’t.

Horrific season? Yes. 

Stayed up? Yes 

It just shows the passion of the fans - all by the way who went down there pre and post match with it absolutely p*ssing down. The players went to say thank you. Get over it. 

Edited by Eaststander7

I think in the circumstances the fans celebrating wasn't so bad plenty of clubs fans have celebrated survival on the pitch down the recent years who in theory are 'too big' to be celebrating such an achievement including Brum and the Red Dogs. The celebrations yesterday from the fans are a drop in the ocean compared to what would have happened were there fans in the ground given the fact we were playing Wednesday who would have had their own fans goading us on about being relegated for most of the game, in fact I suspect it could have turned very nasty at the end. The players celebrations were a bit cringeworthy and OTT. 

3 minutes ago, BuckoBeast said:

How the hell can you be embarrassed. Yes we have been a complete shambles on and off the pitch. But celebrating beating relegation to league one which would have been disastrous is an embarrassment. I don’t know how as a fan you can say that tbh 

100% agree with all of this 

I’m pretty sure leading up to the original panel the sun and daily Mail were quoting us as being docked 11, 12 point etc and we were docked nothing. Can’t see anything on this one around being docked points seen as they only appealed the lesser charge - a fine maybe, but we will see won’t we. 

I know some say the EFL don't have an agenda but I think they do. It would not surprise me one bit for the result of the appeal to be dragged on for a few more months, they may know they won't win but leaking snippets of information that suggests points deductions in the hope it will continue to derail us between now and when the season starts.

Points deductions or not, what cannot be disputed in my opinion is that 18 months after the original charges were made that it is still ongoing. The EFL claim their primary goal is to protect the league and the clubs within it, yet by being utterly and totally incompetent they do just the opposite.

Its disgusting and appalling that this has not yet been resolved. The EFL should charge themselves with breaching FFP rules..with FFP standing for Fit For Purpose in this instance. They are a disgrace of an organisation.

2 minutes ago, Ramos said:

I’m pretty sure leading up to the original panel the sun and daily Mail were quoting us as being docked 11, 12 point etc and we were docked nothing. Can’t see anything on this one around being docked points seen as they only appealed the lesser charge - a fine maybe, but we will see won’t we. 

It isn't a lesser charge. 

51 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Yeah didn’t think so. The “massive” deduction has probably come from Matt Hughes’ old article saying we face a 21 point deduction which we all know is baalocks ????

its farcical. just sensationalist journalism. dont know how their allowed to print lies. big IF. but if found guilty. fine max. which we’ll probably appeal 

1 hour ago, ziggyram59 said:

According to Alan Nixon in today Sun quotes the following Sunsports understands an independent disciplinary appeals is ready to come down in favour of EFL who have refused to accept defeat in the cash row. The charges were dismissed by first independent disciplinary commission in August 2020, but with several clubs angered by the outcome the EFL appealed. Top sources claim the decision had already been taken but was kept secret as Derby fought for championship survival. It then goes on to say that Mel Morris club could be hit with a points deduction next season that runs into double figures. Similar to Sheffield Wednesday this season. 

I am sure there is something that states of an appeal is lodged then the penalty on that appeal can only be a financial penalty and not a double jeopardy points reduction??

Someone may be able to clear that up 

This appeal is part of the old stuff under Mel's tenure we need to just get over and move on from. Sick of all this stuff and the Keogh case hanging over us. If they deduct points so be it. If we know at the start of next season then we know what we have to overcome. Better than finding out midway through. If I was the new owner first thing I would do is contact the efl (incompetent as it is) and Keogh's lawyers and just wipe the slate, come to an agreement and settle everything. Its all of this that has made us unpopular as a club and the club unpopular with us. It has overshadowed us for too long - enough.