EFL appeal

Sith Happens

23 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Guys - Am I reading it right that now the EFL have announced the teams for the championship 21/22 they won't be able to relegate us ahead of the season?

I know there's a very complex system in place to generate fixtures based on geography so they couldn't simply swap us for Wycombe at a later date 

I've not been following the thread for a while so apologies if this has already been flagged!

Have the EFL actually “announced” the teams though? (maybe I’ve missed something). Or it just others saying things like “the teams have been confirmed” meaning the play offs have been completed.

11 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I think generating fixtures isn't that hard to do. OK there's some constraints like policing availability (e.g. not having both Sheffield clubs at home at the same time) etc, but considering they probably have a computer program to do it for them it really can't be that long a process.

Probably the "computer programme" will put us up against the three relegated Prem teams in first three fixtures , then we Get the play off teams (not being cynical am I ? Please let me know if I am )

3 minutes ago, Wignall12 said:

Probably the "computer programme" will put us up against the three relegated Prem teams in first three fixtures , then we Get the play off teams (not being cynical am I ? Please let me know if I am )

We did end the 19-20 season with 5 games against the top six.

I still think it's just random quirks in the process, although it might be the case they tell the fixture generator that they want a specific fixture on opening day, or something like that as an additional constraint.

Until Steve Gibson approves the list, obviously.

34 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I still think it's just random quirks in the process, although it might be the case they tell the fixture generator that they want a specific fixture on opening day, or something like that as an additional constraint.

There must be something within it for the likes of Sky too, every season you have a 'Derby Day' in the Prem where there are 3 or 4 local derbies all televised, won't be down to coincidence

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Bet he signs it off ! ??

2 hours ago, Wignall12 said:

That would likely be good for us. Relegated teams often struggle for the first couple of months. The greater physicality of the Championship takes a while to adjust to. By mid October they're usually up to speed and their quality starts to shine through.

3 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I think generating fixtures isn't that hard to do. OK there's some constraints like policing availability (e.g. not having both Sheffield clubs at home at the same time) etc, but considering they probably have a computer program to do it for them it really can't be that long a process.

maybe once they are announced it becomes more difficult

6 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I think Sky have an input somewhere along the line. They don’t want a load of dead rubbers April/May time. It can’t be a coincidence the top teams in the PL have their second games against each other so late in the season, every season.

It’ll be the same with the Championship, Sky will have who they consider to be promotion candidates playing their second games late March/April, ie Sheffield United v Bournemouth I’d put a fiver on that second game between them being played then.

11 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

I think Sky have an input somewhere along the line. They don’t want a load of dead rubbers April/May time. It can’t be a coincidence the top teams in the PL have their second games against each other so late in the season, every season.

It’ll be the same with the Championship, Sky will have who they consider to be promotion candidates playing their second games late March/April, ie Sheffield United v Bournemouth I’d put a fiver on that second game between them being played then.

Those requests are all probably added into the program, or after the first run a few are fixed or moved before running it again to sort out the rest. There's probably several itterations of it before the final fixtures are made public.

It must've been a bit long winded working them all out with pen a paper but I can't think it's hard to do these days.

7 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Can’t believe the fixture organisation is that complex. 

You'd be surprised - I met one of the guys who works on the algorithm once and it's pretty complex - Need to balance home and away days across all 4 leagues (Inc Prem) to take into consideration traffic/travel for fans and players, policing needs, distances clubs need to travel for the following game and a whole host of other stuff - once that's done they then need to negotiate with Sky for viewed games and the clubs for who knows what reasons 

7 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Have the EFL actually “announced” the teams though? (maybe I’ve missed something). Or it just others saying things like “the teams have been confirmed” meaning the play offs have been completed.

Good question - the Derby site suggested the EFL had confirmed it but ?‍♂️

14 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

You'd be surprised - I met one of the guys who works on the algorithm once and it's pretty complex - Need to balance home and away days across all 4 leagues (Inc Prem) to take into consideration traffic/travel for fans and players, policing needs, distances clubs need to travel for the following game and a whole host of other stuff - once that's done they then need to negotiate with Sky for viewed games and the clubs for who knows what reasons 

Good question - the Derby site suggested the EFL had confirmed it but ?‍♂️

No. It just says it’s been confirmed following the conclusion of the play offs.