This is what gets me about this Derby team

Curtains

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, angieram said:

If you look at the scores in the ratings thread, Rooney did quite well. Yet many people think he was a major factor in us losing. I agree to the extent that he offered little to counter the quick counter-attack, despite being the one who could have covered across when Buchanan lost his man - Rooney was alongside watching it unfold. 

There was one (earlier?) attack where he did (on his own) get back to cover until the defence joined in. I think in the final quarter of the game the intensity was telling on some of our players - I really don't think they're fit enough. 

I think I heard Rosenior right when he was asked why Shinnie was dropped. Along the lines of.... difficult decision but they knew Martin wasn’t going to press hence I guess they felt they didn’t need that tenacity in midfield to gain control and went with Bird for more creativity 

It all comes down to the fact we don’t score enough goals, it’s as simple as that. Our defence, in my opinion, isn’t that bad at this level - at least on paper. But we put far too much pressure on them because we are simply incapable of scoring a goal. It means our only hope of getting anything from a match is to get a clean sheet and a 0-0. That puts a lot of mental pressure on the defenders, and that’s when mistakes like Marshall against Barnsley start to come in.

We start scoring some goals, and everything gets better IMO. You can win games without a clean sheet, you can’t win games without scoring a goal.

Rooney played one of his better games in a while. But it’s irrelevant. The task is to build a new team from the cream of our academy players. Not because of some vain obsession with the academy but because we have four or five gems on our hands. And three happen to play in central midfield - same as wazza. And in addition to them we have a club record signing who plays there too. And Graeme Shinnie who brings tenacity and workrate. It’s crowded.

the central midfield ISN’T the problem. 
One problem is the lack of attacking creativity on the flanks.Another is the lack of a central striker who can hold it, lead the attack and score goals. 
I still can’t believe the number of folk on here who keep banging on about the talented mr Lawrence and play Waghorn wide right. People seem unable to see the evidence in plain sight, right in front of their noses. How many more wasted opportunities must there be before the penny drops that we are ineffective in these positions. I’m hoping jozwiak and Whittaker are soon the preferred choices. 

we have a limited choice up front. Waghorn is the bull in our particular China shop, with the first touch of Connor Sammon and a tendency to keep running offside. If he hasn’t scored by 60minutes, then bring on the Whittaker’s, the hector-ingrams, the Duncan’s and the Strettons. Even mr kazim-Richards. Shake it up!

the lack of effective wingers means we are over reliant on overlapping full backs. That leaves gaps at the back. We will concede as a result. But the defence won’t improve until the attack has a sharper edge and there is less need to keep bombing on. We lack partnerships on the flanks. 

we need a centre half who can head it - thats also blindingly obvious, and a bit of pace at the back. We also need Marshall to sort his feet out and be taught not to select the difficult cross field pass when a simpler ball will suffice. 

we insist on making the player who needs to step down into an automatic selection when we need to be building a young side.we persist with the fantasy that Tom lawrence is a great player for us when we clearly lack a cutting edge. We pick the same names and get the same result. Decent in central midfield but losing every week.

42 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

There was one (earlier?) attack where he did (on his own) get back to cover until the defence joined in. I think in the final quarter of the game the intensity was telling on some of our players - I really don't think they're fit enough. 

It's crazy to think their not fit enough when we brought in a coach specifically for first team fitness ? it feel like taking true accountability is something not often done at the moment, people at the club talk about it, but we don't see any action other than sacking managers ?

2 hours ago, Curtains said:

At the moment Rooney is like a quarterback slowing things down but unfortunately it allows opponents to reorganize 

That sums up our problems in a nutshell, whenever we head towards goal there are 9-10 opposition players to beat. I was so frustrated watching this yesterday I found myself murmuring "Let's pretend we've scored a goal"

2 hours ago, DCFClks said:

I think we're generally quite good in the first 2/3 of the pitch but we're just lacking in the final 1/3. Having Cocu in charge for a year has gradually killed all our attacking play and it will take more than a week of training with a new coaching team to change this. However, the last game was our best performance of the season and you could see they were getting in much better positions but it's still not enough. They were really unlucky to lose yesterday. I don't think the defence was that bad. They limited Bristol to a lot less chances than most have this season. I think the reason the defence has been poor before the last game is because they kept making mistakes because the possession play style put them under too much pressure.  

We played a team who's not trained for 2 weeks who have got less then half of there team out with covid no wonder, we were poor as simple as that we never looked like we deserved to win! we not created anything again Rooney and bird is just a no no in the midfield he needs to get some boll***s and drop himself he's the worst we have  had in a long time 

19 minutes ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

We played a team who's not trained for 2 weeks who have got less then half of there team out with covid no wonder,

They had trained, separately then together from Thursday! They also had an unchanged team on the pitch. They had injuries yes, but only two missing owing to covid!!! 

48 minutes ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

We played a team who's not trained for 2 weeks who have got less then half of there team out with covid no wonder, we were poor as simple as that we never looked like we deserved to win! we not created anything again Rooney and bird is just a no no in the midfield he needs to get some boll***s and drop himself he's the worst we have  had in a long time 

Fairly sure they played the same team as their previous game though.

Our main problem is we don't look like scoring and the longer the game goes on the more the pressure builds. I hope we are braver with our team selection for midweek. I will be really disappointed if we go with Waghorn as striker again.

I'm hoping we will play Kazim-Richards or Hector-Ingram up top. Not sure why Kazim-Richards wasn't on the bench - maybe he doesn't train well? I'm only worried about how they play in a match though and I think we need to try something different. This may mean we have a better bench to choose from as well if things aren't working out.

Only seen the brief highlights on the main site and it looked like we were just so desperate to score. Waghorn (twice), Lawrence, Holmes (twice) and Knight just seemed to shoot on sight as soon as they had the ball in any kind of threatening area. That just shows a clear lack of confidence and anxiety. The old cliche of a 1-0 win off someone's backside could do wonders.

6 hours ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

I don't think they did as shinnie and night were the cm try checking that bird wasn't playing 

For Bristol City? You said in the post I quoted they had half their team out. They didn't,  they played the same side as before the break, as other posters have since pointed out when you repeated the claim.

The team isn't great at all.

Saturday was bizarre. It seems like we have to do anything to accommodate Rooney. He shouldn't be playing every week. It's simple as that. 

Arguably Jason Knight has been our best player this season. Proved to everyone that he's a midfielder and shouldn't be played on the wing. Seeing him on the wing last season made me question how good he was or potentially how good he could be. He's been a revelation in midfield this season. So what do we do? Put him back out wide again.

Holmes shouldn't be anywhere near this team. The bloke is an absolute myth. Nowhere near good enough. I genuinely can't think of the last time he had a good game. 

I'm sick of reading "we shouldn't have let Martin go" we didn't let him go. Martin chose to leave. Which he was always going to do. We have known he was leaving since last season. Signing a number 9 was imperative. The fact that we haven't done that is gross mismanagement steming right down from Mel Morris. Because now we are left with Waghorn as our number 9. Which he isn't and never will be. So many times balls get put in the box right where you'd expect your striker to be and he's not there. He doesn't have that instinct. He isn't good at holding the ball up and bringing others into play.

I was shocked when we signed CZR. Look at his record. 16 clubs in 16 years and not many goals. Crazy decision. But we've done it.

He's a big lad and can be a handful. I don't understand why he's not even in the squad. Especially now with 9 subs. I get we put JHI on the bench and that Kornell-Mcdonald. But to be quite honest. Now isn't the time for putting young lads in to see if they are good enough.

One final thing I don't understand. We had a 4 man coaching team. Cocu, Team, Chris and Rosenior. 3 of them are gone.

Why is Rosenior still at the club? I've got to a point where I can't watch his post match interviews anymore. Can see how well media trained he is to just go out there an say everything fans want to hear. Unfortunately now most of us can see right through it.

"Its a privilege to work for this great football club"

"We believe in what we do here. We know if we play like we want to we will get results"

"The players are giving everything"

"The players have been outstanding in training"

But one comment he made on Saturday really did get to me:-

“No disrespect to what’s happened before, but we’re trying to build a team with more confidence.”

No disrespect to what's happened before? You mean the coaching regime of the previous 16 months that you've been apart of? The coaching regime that on countless occasions you have said how much you are learning from them?

We need someone right now who can come in and steady the ship. Because it's sinking fast. Experience and a new voice. 

Then I think we should look again in the summer when there are other options out there, better options than what's available now. When we might be a more attractive club to manage.

1 hour ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

The team isn't great at all.

Saturday was bizarre. It seems like we have to do anything to accommodate Rooney. He shouldn't be playing every week. It's simple as that. 

Arguably Jason Knight has been our best player this season. Proved to everyone that he's a midfielder and shouldn't be played on the wing. Seeing him on the wing last season made me question how good he was or potentially how good he could be. He's been a revelation in midfield this season. So what do we do? Put him back out wide again.

Holmes shouldn't be anywhere near this team. The bloke is an absolute myth. Nowhere near good enough. I genuinely can't think of the last time he had a good game. 

I'm sick of reading "we shouldn't have let Martin go" we didn't let him go. Martin chose to leave. Which he was always going to do. We have known he was leaving since last season. Signing a number 9 was imperative. The fact that we haven't done that is gross mismanagement steming right down from Mel Morris. Because now we are left with Waghorn as our number 9. Which he isn't and never will be. So many times balls get put in the box right where you'd expect your striker to be and he's not there. He doesn't have that instinct. He isn't good at holding the ball up and bringing others into play.

I was shocked when we signed CZR. Look at his record. 16 clubs in 16 years and not many goals. Crazy decision. But we've done it.

He's a big lad and can be a handful. I don't understand why he's not even in the squad. Especially now with 9 subs. I get we put JHI on the bench and that Kornell-Mcdonald. But to be quite honest. Now isn't the time for putting young lads in to see if they are good enough.

One final thing I don't understand. We had a 4 man coaching team. Cocu, Team, Chris and Rosenior. 3 of them are gone.

Why is Rosenior still at the club? I've got to a point where I can't watch his post match interviews anymore. Can see how well media trained he is to just go out there an say everything fans want to hear. Unfortunately now most of us can see right through it.

"Its a privilege to work for this great football club"

"We believe in what we do here. We know if we play like we want to we will get results"

"The players are giving everything"

"The players have been outstanding in training"

But one comment he made on Saturday really did get to me:-

“No disrespect to what’s happened before, but we’re trying to build a team with more confidence.”

No disrespect to what's happened before? You mean the coaching regime of the previous 16 months that you've been apart of? The coaching regime that on countless occasions you have said how much you are learning from them?

We need someone right now who can come in and steady the ship. Because it's sinking fast. Experience and a new voice. 

Then I think we should look again in the summer when there are other options out there, better options than what's available now. When we might be a more attractive club to manage.

Ros does sound a tad hypocritical doesn’t he.  

Totally agree about Knight but that’s because Rooney is accommodating himself in the team. 

8 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Ros does sound a tad hypocritical doesn’t he.  

Totally agree about Knight but that’s because Rooney is accommodating himself in the team. 

I agree. 

I don't want Rooney as manager at all.

But if wants the job then for me he should have been on the touchline on Saturday not playing 90 minutes on the pitch.

At the moment we have a bang average GK coach, a youth team coach, a blokes who's been part of the coaching staff for the last 16 months which has got us into the position we are in and a player who's also a coach that wants to be the manager but he's playing 90 minutes. 

And they're passing notes to him on the pitch to check about changing formation. 

It's an absolute shambles. 

Player managers/Player coaches does not work at this level. 

We need a new manager and new staff asap.

Archived