This is what gets me about this Derby team

Curtains

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of our best performances last season was when Bird and Rooney played as a pair in front of the back 4 so can see the thinking ..I’d go 433 and have Knight as the 3rd midfielder as we miss him when not central as he has drive ...still need a proper CF as well try 433 Joz Lawrence and a new striker when we get one 

5 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I think I get where Curtains is coming from.

It's annoying that the players have ability, we all know this, but somehow the team is just totally impotent, ineffective and easy to beat.

If we had 11 rubbish players but we knew they were doing the best they could, it'd be easier.

I don’t disagree with you but just think we are so devoid of a goal scorer that it would almost surprise me to see us score from open play. 

We’ve no natural finisher(s) and those who normally chip in with a few goals aren’t scoring either. 

January can’t come soon enough ( assuming we’re going to buy a goal scorer....)

2 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Some of our best performances last season was when Bird and Rooney played as a pair in front of the back 4 so can see the thinking ..I’d go 433 and have Knight as the 3rd midfielder as we miss him when not central as he has drive ...still need a proper CF as well try 433 Joz Lawrence and a new striker when we get one 

Might not get one in until the deadline, what would you play for the next 8-12 games?

I am really not sure what to play and it worries me that the management team don't really know either lol

10 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not scapegoating him but he played in both of the 2 previous matches which were arguably our worst performances of the season.

Don't think any of the players could have complained about being dropped.

That’s a good point .

Look at Barnsley though they are flying .

QPR are doing good. 

When we played them both we were good until the confidence went. 

Barnsley with Marshall’s mistake. 

26 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

We have tightened up at the back, is it 9 goals in 9 games.....that would be decent if we were scoring a few at the other end....

That includes a goal that was caused by Marshall being silly, one at Forest that should have been disallowed and another that i'm forgetting that was a big foul in the buildup. 

Question is, why the improvement? Curtis Davies. He's reorganised the defense. 

Since the 2000’s I’ve been confident in Derby’s defence in just 2 seasons: Mac 1 and Rowett’s. Under Lampard we played cavalier football and that was fine as we scored goals and lots of them. Since then our defence has continued to be woeful and our attacking output has deteriorated. The reasons why I’d say is a combination of us cutting costs and Cocu’s style of football. 

We need to bring in a manager that can get results with what we have until January. Whether that be poohouse 1-0’s or hand brake off football. But in my opinion we cannot continue with the same coaching staff and hope for the best. 

I’d say with the right coaching we could go in to January 1st in around 17th position with hopefully some funds to bring in a striker, maybe a centre back and central midfielder. That will hopefully see us finish strong and end the season in a solid mid table position. 

My point being we need a proper manager and quick. 

For me it's the lack of attacking options , the inhability to take chances and put them away  

Is this due to poor play ..poor attacking players 

The signs where their pre season due to results ..followed by the Barrow game  and so far it's carried on ... Go through the season so far  and you,ll find it's been the same continuity of being lacklustre and absolutely dire in the final third 

Wait till Lawrence is back 

Wait till Waghorn is back 

Well there back ...and it's still the same out come ..!!!

What next WAIT UNTIL THE JANUARY SIGNINGS ?

28 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Because Rooney wanted to play in his position and we ruin the rest of the team to accommodate him.

Don't think we should be playing 2 DMs in any game, but if we insist on doing it I'd be picking Shinnie or Bielik over Rooney. 

I don't think we should be playing one at all. It's good that Bielik and Bird can both play the role when required. But they are both so much better driving forward, making cutting passes. They should only be hanging about in front of the back 4 when we don't have possession. They are both progressive CM's. 

3 minutes ago, Bwash_Ram said:

Because Bird is better

I like Bird but although he did well yesterday he’s been hit and miss. 

Are we saying Shinnie or Sibley can’t start so accommodate Rooney and Bird. 

Knight is ineffective where he played yesterday also as he’s better in the midfield.

Whatever management by committee won’t work with Rooney  calling the shots. 

24 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Wasn’t just yesterday.

We looked  good against Bournemouth but let it slip. 

The players don’t believe in themselves so how can we believe in them. Mmm

Bournemouth did look better yesterday I honestly didn't think we looked any better we played against a team who's barely trained in 2 weeks and had half their team out we lacked the running in midfield and Knight isn't the same out wide, Rooney changed the team to suit him and he's not good enough anymore him and bird are too slow together in the midfield 

2 minutes ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

Bournemouth did look better yesterday I honestly didn't think we looked any better we played against a team who's barely trained in 2 weeks and had half their team out we lacked the running in midfield and Knight isn't the same out wide, Rooney changed the team to suit him and he's not good enough anymore him and bird are too slow together in the midfield 

Why would they want to waste Knights energy.  

At the moment Rooney is like a quarterback slowing things down but unfortunately it allows opponents to reorganize 

5 minutes ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

They played exactly the same team as before the break.

37 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

In a nutshell....the team can’t compliment Rooney. That’s my gripe with him in the team, I have nothing against him personally. All in all a gamble that just didn’t pay off ?

Complement. ?

I am sure the team compliment him often, but it's whether he fits the style that counts. ?

I think you have a point.

If you look at the scores in the ratings thread, Rooney did quite well. Yet many people think he was a major factor in us losing. I agree to the extent that he offered little to counter the quick counter-attack, despite being the one who could have covered across when Buchanan lost his man - Rooney was alongside watching it unfold. 

I didn't think he slowed play down going forward yesterday, though. That forward line has to take some responsibility for their ineptitude. Although it might help if we picked a better balanced front three, in my opinion. And put Knight back into midfield where he absolutely complements the style!

I think we're generally quite good in the first 2/3 of the pitch but we're just lacking in the final 1/3. Having Cocu in charge for a year has gradually killed all our attacking play and it will take more than a week of training with a new coaching team to change this. However, the last game was our best performance of the season and you could see they were getting in much better positions but it's still not enough. They were really unlucky to lose yesterday. I don't think the defence was that bad. They limited Bristol to a lot less chances than most have this season. I think the reason the defence has been poor before the last game is because they kept making mistakes because the possession play style put them under too much pressure.  

15 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

I think we're generally quite good in the first 2/3 of the pitch but we're just lacking in the final 1/3. Having Cocu in charge for a year has gradually killed all our attacking play and it will take more than a week of training with a new coaching team to change this. However, the last game was our best performance of the season and you could see they were getting in much better positions but it's still not enough. They were really unlucky to lose yesterday. I don't think the defence was that bad. They limited Bristol to a lot less chances than most have this season. I think the reason the defence has been poor before the last game is because they kept making mistakes because the possession play style put them under too much pressure.  

It really is this.

46 minutes ago, angieram said:

Complement. ?

I am sure the team compliment him often, but it's whether he fits the style that counts. ?

I think you have a point.

If you look at the scores in the ratings thread, Rooney did quite well. Yet many people think he was a major factor in us losing. I agree to the extent that he offered little to counter the quick counter-attack, despite being the one who could have covered across when Buchanan lost his man - Rooney was alongside watching it unfold. 

I didn't think he slowed play down going forward yesterday, though. That forward line has to take some responsibility for their ineptitude. Although it might help if we picked a better balanced front three, in my opinion. And put Knight back into midfield where he absolutely complements the style!

Remind me again:-

"Attacking play?" What's that?

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

It's annoying that the players have ability, we all know this, but somehow the team is just totally impotent, ineffective and easy to beat

Wonder why we can't score goals with no decent striker and little attacking play? Couldn't the opposition just pop a couple in their net to show us the way? ?? 

Archived