Get in Big Sam

ChaddRam

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

In 'The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp', the main character starts off believing that to fight an enemy, you have to have principles - that right is might. Those around him see this as ridiculous and that to win, you have to fight fire with fire - that might is right. He continues to be a tragicomic figure until the Nazis are at his doorstep and he realises that the others were right all along. 

You have made that journey. I am still the ridiculous Colonel Blimp character standing by my principles in victory or defeat. ?

Taking my name in vain?

52 minutes ago, JfR said:

I think rather than looking at an Allardyce, we need someone that can be the "Allardyce of attack," someone that can come in and drill a better attacking structure into the frontline like Allardyce can do with a defensive structure in a backline. 

Someone like England's greatest goal scorer? #COYR

59 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

We wouldn't need to see them. Unless they can run on to a flick by the big man up top, they're no good to Allardyce.

In fact, I would suggest that these are the very antithesis of what Allardyce likes in his midfield.

A manager who doesn’t want to use exciting young players with a goal threat. I’d suggest he isn’t the for us.

We need a manager who wants to score goals. That is our issue.

Yes, let's completely change style of football. To one that doesn't suit any of our players. That'll definitely help. 

I remember Nigel Pearson being the safe choice, wasn't very safe in the end was it? This is almost the exact same thing. Some fans seem to think old English men shouting at people is some kind of magical answer to our problems, not tactics and coaching. 

Big Sam would be a disaster and ensure relegation. 

29 minutes ago, Rab a dab doo said:

Is Big Sam the next answer to all our woes ???????????

He isn't the answer to any of our woes.

In his last season as a manager, 2017-18, his team (Everton) were ranked 20th out of 20 for total shots and 19th for shots on target.

I don't recall any Everton fans crying when he left.

6 hours ago, GrimsbyRam said:

Agree with sentiment but I think we need to be more realistic (than the likes of Rafa, Poch, Benitez etc).  We are bottom of the Championship and the most we are likely to attract is failed or out of work managers.  The best we can hope for is someone like Paul Cook/McLaren.  The list of people that will be applying is the usual trash likes of Adkins, Mark Hughes, McCleish, Pardew, Grayson

I'd take Adkins in a heartbeat and I'd kill for Hughes or Pardew to even apply.

Really don't all understand the hate towards big Sam, yeah he's a bit of a dinosaur now but he's a decent manager and gets the best out of what he's got to work with, he's done it time and time again and at the top level, with the situation we're in we'd be fortunate to get someone of his quality, he'd be my preferred choice 

4 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

He traditionally relies on highly athletic, quick, powerful players and we have precious few of them. That would then mean a spending splurge in January & we dont have the cash.

I don't know if this is true at all. Byrne, Buchanan, Knight, Sibley, Lawrence, Jozwiak, Bielik all off the top of my head.

You can make the argument for even Shinnie, Wisdom, Holmes, Marriott, Whittaker, maybe they need a bit of work but athleticism and fitness can be coached if you make it a priority.

A good coach should be able to work with what they have to work to their way. We aren't asking for a promotion winning side, just one that wins a handful and keeps us up.

I reckon Sam would be a good shout, ok hes doesnt play the most exciting football (although for a time Bolton were excellent), it really doesnt matter. Lets face it we got promoted under Billy playing football that was not exciting and we didnt mind then.

Absolutely sure we would stay up.

2 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

I reckon Sam would be a good shout, ok hes doesnt play the most exciting football (although for a time Bolton were excellent), it really doesnt matter. Lets face it we got promoted under Billy playing football that was not exciting and we didnt mind then.

Absolutely sure we would stay up.

This is absolutely an argument against the kind of short termism involved in hiring Allardyce 'to keep us up'.

23 minutes ago, Tombo said:

I don't know if this is true at all. Byrne, Buchanan, Knight, Sibley, Lawrence, Jozwiak, Bielik all off the top of my head.

You can make the argument for even Shinnie, Wisdom, Holmes, Marriott, Whittaker, maybe they need a bit of work but athleticism and fitness can be coached if you make it a priority.

A good coach should be able to work with what they have to work to their way. We aren't asking for a promotion winning side, just one that wins a handful and keeps us up.

Completely disagree. Bielik, Waghorn & Wisdom probably wouldnt look out of place but the players in your first list are either quite small or not noted for their physicality. Dont think Sibley would ever get a game at CM in an Allardyce side.

We're a side that for the last 15 months has looked to dominate the ball & have a controlled tempo to games. Thats a massive mindset change to Big Sam's typical style. Given he'd likely see this as a big step down, he'd be unlikely to accept the squad as it was anyway & demand purchases more to his liking as a condition of joining. It'd be another Pearson>McClaren>Rowett scenario.

See we're in agreement about Adkins though. His style of play would mesh well with this squad & be acceptable to fans long term. He's done a rescue job at Hull before so bottom 3 probably won't faze him & he's likely to be reasonably cheap compared to other names suggested.

Archived