Jack Marriott returns to Derby, then goes back to Wednesday

Carl Sagan

On 22/11/2020 at 09:06, TomTom92 said:

I don’t want to engage in the rumours of him being lazy etc. I would guess that half way through the Lampard season Frank looked at what Marriott was bringing to the table and didn’t particularly rate it. 

Other than that 8 match period where he was unplayable and Leeds he’s shown nothing to suggest he will be a regular chart topper at championship level. If the £5m fee is correct we’ve had another blinder in the transfer market. 

I just can’t agree with that. Yes Jack has flattered to deceive but just like St Chrissy he needs a certain system to thrive. He isn’t a lone striker and can’t function with a deep midfield a million miles from support around the box. Yeah he’ll snatch the odd one on the break but that isn’t the point.

Add in that it was blindingly obvious from the day he came that he was carrying a niggling long term groin injury - we have only seen flashes of what he can do. .. for me he had one bad game when he had 2 if not 3 1 v 1’s and he fluffed them .. that was poor but given the pressure to be a saviour I am prepared to forgive him and give him another go. 

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Really? Looks like he's added another injury to his repertoire then.

Yes really Roy. If you remember he didn’t do a proper pre season because of a groin strain and was forever not quite there. Used as an impact sub, whatever. I know what those sort of niggles are like. Looks like it’s sorted then after 20 mins it starts to pull, you guard it, you lose 10/20% of your afterburners and quick reaction capability. Maybe he physically isn’t up to it - in that case fair enough, but in terms of ability and potential -  if fit - Then he is a big asset .. the question is not:  Is Marriott any good - because he is  .. The question is .. Is Marriott particularly susceptible to injuries that nullify what benefit he would bring to the team ? 

1 minute ago, jono said:

Maybe he physically isn’t up to it - in that case fair enough, but in terms of ability and potential -  if fit - Then he is a big asset .. the question is not:  Is Marriott any good - because he is  .. The question is .. Is Marriott particularly susceptible to injuries that nullify what benefit he would bring to the team ? 

I think the susceptibility comes down to his attitude to training. But either way I'd be surprised if he was successful here, I'd hope he was but I can't see it.

• 2 weeks later...

DET: Jack Marriott

Rooney said Jack Marriott has had another scan on his injured ankle and could be a couple of weeks away. He says he will talk with Marriott in the next couple of weeks and see how he moves forward - be it with Derby or Sheffield Wednesday.

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

DET: Jack Marriott

Rooney said Jack Marriott has had another scan on his injured ankle and could be a couple of weeks away. He says he will talk with Marriott in the next couple of weeks and see how he moves forward - be it with Derby or Sheffield Wednesday.

So looking likely that Rooney will be new Manager then if he is planning talks with Marriott 'in the next couple of weeks'!

2 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Either that or he's not expecting the takeover to be completed anytime soon - like most of us.

Ahhhhh the takeover.  It's been going on for so long, I'd actually forgotten about it!!!!

Can’t see Sheffield Wednesday wanting to keep him beyond January, they’ll have realised by now that he’s not as good as the hype. The trouble is, what do we do with him? Ordinarily I’d say find someone else to sell him too, as he doesn’t offer enough as an all round striker. But the trouble is, we’re so short of options up front, is he better than no one? I’d say so. If the takeover falls through, which seems likely, then we will be left with no budget for the transfer window. Marriott may be our only option.

On 22/11/2020 at 17:06, Yani P said:

If he can find his mojo he could still be some player..he scared Leeds to death 

On 23/11/2020 at 14:23, GlastoEls said:

Gave Aston Villa a scare too, albeit perhaps too late.. 

gave Lampard a scare too when he came on and scored. 

On 22/11/2020 at 10:51, RammingStone66 said:

So the odds of us selling him on decrease and I can't see him wanting to take less wages to stay.....not that he has done much to warrant a new contract especially with this injury record.

Another P&S loss on the cards then ? brilliant. Feels like we need to find two strikers /CFs in this next window and hopefully BZG are in and able to pay for it

How many games and goals for us.

12 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Can’t see Sheffield Wednesday wanting to keep him beyond January, they’ll have realised by now that he’s not as good as the hype. 

I think that's a bit harsh. He's never been played in his preferred in a system he's suited to. I still think he could be a very good player if he could get over his injuries. 

30 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

I think that's a bit harsh. He's never been played in his preferred in a system he's suited to. I still think he could be a very good player if he could get over his injuries. 

No chance imo. He’s played under two managers now, both with very different styles, and only played a bit part role for both. There’s a reason for that. No position / system will change the fact that his touch isn’t good enough, and he’s too physically weak.

4 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

No chance imo. He’s played under two managers now, both with very different styles, and only played a bit part role for both. There’s a reason for that. No position / system will change the fact that his touch isn’t good enough, and he’s too physically weak.

That's mainly because of his injuries though. Both systems played with 1 hold up striker. He's best playing on the shoulder, probably in a 2 up front system.

10 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

That's mainly because of his injuries though. Both systems played with 1 hold up striker. He's best playing on the shoulder, probably in a 2 up front system.

Maybe, but I’m not convinced he was putting the work in to keep himself fit either. If he can only play with a strike partner, then he’ll either have to go to Burnley or get a time machine back to 1980. There aren’t many sides who play with 2 up front anymore.

Archived