Bristol City...deserved a draw

Home matches this season:

Reading...poor

Blackburn...dire

Watford..ok, bit unlucky to lose

Cardiff..ok, draw was fair

QPR...bad

Barnsley...shocking

Now up to the lockdown last season, we had a good home record and were dire away from home.

I think the away performances have been much better this season. We seemed to collapse so many times last season against an away crowd, and it feels like we are better off now in an empty ground. We definitely seemed to buckle last year when the pressure was on, but we've showed some resolve this season, especially vs Norwich and Bournemouth.

Now our home record is usually amongst the best in the league. I know we all think our home supporters just moan all the time and don't sing enough and that everything was better back in day blah blah blah. But just perhaps our relitavley large ground and support is actually a big advantage to our players? Especially if they are currently not the most confident bunch of lads? 

Our home form, usually so reliable, has been dire this season. Before the season started, you'd think perhaps Watford was the only game you would not consider us favourites. We've managed 1 point in 6 games.

When you are used to picking up points at home, you rely on that and know it's only your away form that prevents automatic promotion.

When you are used to picking up points at home, then you suddenly can't, you come under more pressure, confidence evaporates and your world collapses.

There are fairly fine margins between a good team and a bad team, especially in the highly competitive Championship. We've seen most of these players do well in the past, but we are without our natural home advantage this season.

Mistakes have been made of course, but maybe we need to realise that sometimes, things just don't go your way. We don't always have to find a flaming gallah to blame.

4 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Away matches this season:

Luton...unlucky to lose

Norwich...lucky to win but good 3 points

Huddersfield...maybe unlucky to lose

Forest...just about deserved a win

Bournemouth...almost a great 3 points

Reading...poor

Blackburn...dire

QPR...bad

Barnsley...shocking

Now up to the lockdown last season, we had a good home record and were dire away from home.

I think the away performances have been much better this season. We seemed to collapse so many times last season against an away crowd, and it feels like we are better off now in an empty ground. We definitely seemed to buckle last year when the pressure was on, but we've showed some resolve this season, especially vs Norwich and Bournemouth.

Now our home record is usually amongst the best in the league. I know we all think our home supporters just moan all the time and don't sing enough and that everything was better back in day blah blah blah. But just perhaps our relitavley large ground and support is actually a big advantage to our players? Especially if they are currently not the most confident bunch of lads? 

Our home form, usually so reliable, has been dire this season. Before the season started, you'd think perhaps Watford was the only game you would not consider us favourites. We've managed 1 point in 6 games.

When you are used to picking up points at home, you rely on that and know it's only your away form that prevents automatic promotion.

When you are used to picking up points at home, then you suddenly can't, you come under more pressure, confidence evaporates and your world collapses.

There are fairly fine margins between a good team and a bad team, especially in the highly competitive Championship. We've seen most of these players do well in the past, but we are without our natural home advantage this season.

Mistakes have been made of course, but maybe we need to realise that sometimes, things just don't go your way. We don't always have to find a flaming gallah to blame.

Prefer Neighbours ?

15 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Away matches this season:

Luton...unlucky to lose

Norwich...lucky to win but good 3 points

Huddersfield...maybe unlucky to lose

Forest...just about deserved a win

Bournemouth...almost a great 3 points

Reading...poor

Blackburn...dire

QPR...bad

Barnsley...shocking

I don’t think home or away matters when there’s no crowd. We are just poor, can’t score anywhere and not able to win matches in this division

19 minutes ago, StrawHillRam said:

I don’t think home or away matters when there’s no crowd. We are just poor, can’t score anywhere and not able to win matches in this division

Except that we no longer have one of the largest crowds in the league supporting us in half our games.

• 8 months later...
1 minute ago, angieram said:

Mid-table first weekend. I'd settle for that on the pitch and in the stands this season, tbh. 

Especially if those 16,000 remain as positive as they were on Saturday. I didn't hear any of the usual moaning at mis-placed passes. It was quite pleasant.

With what's going the attendance was a lot better than probably expected , would like to see some of the stands make up for the lack of numbers by being a bit more supportive though ? might try to get into the south stand for the next game so I'm not the only one losing my voice ?