strikers who make great managers

Oldben

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, LittleEatonRam said:

Not exactly relevant to the topic at hand, but still intriguing - any goalkeepers who have made decent managers? Dino Zoff was a decent manager for Lazio in the 90s. Was Adkins a 'keeper as well?

Nuno Herlander Simões Espírito Santo at Wolves.

Peter Taylor was a great Assistant Manager ?

2 hours ago, roboto said:

There are lots of examples of strikers that have made excellent managers (see above ?), also midfielders, defenders and goalkeepers can be excellent managers. It doesn't matter what position you played when you were playing, but how well you understand the game, how clear you can give instructions and how well you understand tactics and how to make the most of what you have available.

Foreign language translators who have hardly ever played the game? School teachers?

7 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

hmmm, how many can you name ?

(btw was Mancini mentioned on the striker list?)

It doesn't matter how many anyone can name, that's like asking how many peas can you get on your fork.

What matters is that it isn't the playing position that determines a good manager but a number other factors.

If you do need a list I did a quick google to help you, as I don't pretend to have all the info in my head...

Dino Zoff, Bryan Gunn, Nigel Adkins, Nuno Espirito Santo, Raymond Goethals, Bruce Arena, Kevin Blackwell. All keepers, all have made a living out of being a football manager. I've also excluded a lot of names that have had long but not particularly illustrious managerial careers, like Walter Zenga.

Archived