Change of Luck

sage

In the Russell Crowe film Master and Commander, the ship has a terrible run of bad luck and is left in the doldrums (static due to no wind) and the crew blame a junior officer, calling him a 'Jonah'. He jumps ship(literally) and straight away the wind picks up and their fortune changes. 

I did comment last week that Cocu has been plagued by bad luck and our luck would probably change now. 

Hey Presto...we have no injuries and Bristol City have only had 2 days preparation as their training round has been closed. 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, sage said:

In the Russell Crowe film Master and Commander, the ship has a terrible run of bad luck and is left in the doldrums (static due to no wind) and the crew blame a junior officer, calling him a 'Jonah'. He jumps ship(literally) and straight away the wind picks up and their fortune changes. 

I did comment last week that Cocu has been plagued by bad luck and our luck would probably change now. 

Hey Presto...we have no injuries and Bristol City have only had 2 days preparation as their training round has been closed. 

Let’s hope we have a whale of a time

1976 poor start to the season, maybe a hangover from the semifinal loss the season before (we'd have done the double were it not for Stoke).

Anyhow, Dave Mackay lost his job.

Step forward (youth team) coach Colin Murphy. Won a few games. Of course he did - with that team, the results were always going to come good.

Murphy insisted he'd done well enough to keep the job. The board accepted.

It turned badly wrong. How many times do we see that with caretaker managers?

Murphy was sacked. Docherty came in. Between them they sold the crown jewels instead of providing a gentle update to a championship side.

The plummet to Division 3 was unstoppable.

Just saying.

So 2020....we should expect an upturn of results, there's always a new manager bounce especially if the team is better than the league table suggests

But yeah, I hope we have a change of luck. And that any upturn is long lived, sustainable and, ultimately, successful.

44 minutes ago, sage said:

One of my favourite films that is. The lesser of two weevils joke was brilliant.

59 minutes ago, sage said:

Should only lose by 0ne then?

Whatever happens from here on in Philip Cocu has laid the foundations.

Using the Mackay/Murphy/Docherty analogy. Dave Mackay benefitted from inheriting a great, Clough and Taylor built League Champion team. Added to it two amazing signings, (Charlie and Frannie) Murphy just allowed the team to play until the destroyer took over.

So all we need now is a management duo à la Clough and Taylor coupled with Lee/George type signings and Champions League football beckons.

What’s luck got to do, got to do with it?

Regardless of Gipsy cures or curses.

1 hour ago, Brummie Steve said:

Whatever happens from here on in Philip Cocu has laid the foundations.

Using the Mackay/Murphy/Docherty analogy. Dave Mackay benefitted from inheriting a great, Clough and Taylor built League Champion team. Added to it two amazing signings, (Charlie and Frannie) Murphy just allowed the team to play until the destroyer took over.

So all we need now is a management duo à la Clough and Taylor coupled with Lee/George type signings and Champions League football beckons.

What’s luck got to do, got to do with it?

Regardless of Gipsy cures or curses.

Bruce Rioch , Henry Newton and Franny were the signings Mackay added to the  Clough side that won  the 2nd title. 
Charlie was signed the following season made his debut in the Charity Shield in an amazing season that as you say faded after Denis Smith clogged Charlie . 

20 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Bruce Rioch , Henry Newton and Franny were the signings Mackay added to the  Clough side that won  the 2nd title. 
Charlie was signed the following season made his debut in the Charity Shield in an amazing season that as you say faded after Denis Smith clogged Charlie . 

Henry Newton was Brian Cloughs last signing for Derby , He tried to sign him when Henry was at forest ..but they were reluctant to sell to us ....and sold him to Everton ...whom sold him to us ..

He signed Henry to replace Alan Durban whom he,d just sold to Shrewsbury   two weeks later THE REST IS HISTORY ...?

5 hours ago, neil62uk said:

Henry Newton was Brian Cloughs last signing for Derby , He tried to sign him when Henry was at forest ..but they were reluctant to sell to us ....and sold him to Everton ...whom sold him to us ..

He signed Henry to replace Alan Durban whom he,d just sold to Shrewsbury   two weeks later THE REST IS HISTORY ...?

Yes, I had to check that myself when I posted as I thought he was a Mackay signing.

Henry was the only Ram who didn’t sign the players’ demand for Cloughie’s reinstatement but only because he was away in Liverpool at the time.

If I’d been a manager I wouldn’t mind my swan song being:- “He signed Henry Newton!”

9 hours ago, sage said:

Lots of positive luck would be a bonus - whilst Bristol May have had to close their training ground and several staff tested positive but they will be passed their self isolating now whilst we have had 7 players traveling all over on international duty so our preparations will be fairly naff so I just hope we perform on the day 

8 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Three.... Rioch wasn't bad either ? 

6 hours ago, neil62uk said:

Yes, Henry Newton was signed by Clough. Yes, Charlie George was signed in the summer after Mackay's side had won the league.

Besides Lee and Rioch, the third addition that Mackay made in time for the 74-75 championship winning campaign was Rod Thomas.

Archived