Rooney: "A change was needed"

Bubbles

5 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

So football has changed that much that a player manager can’t work..?? There is a big leap between smoking before games and a player manager working..!! 
mr Apple...meet mr orange. 

That's not even my argument. My argument is I'm far from convinced it was ever a good idea and the more the game has evolved and become a professional it's become an increasingly bad idea.

You can find examples of almost anything connected with success given how many teams there are and how long football has been about at this point. But it's not merely a trend why it's borderline non-existent in modern football.

If Rooney wants to be manager, then he has to be a manager and put playing behind him. It's just too likely to cause issues within the squad otherwise.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, DC-1975 said:

Who knows, but it hasn't always been a dreadful idea.

Let's face it, none of us know how Wayne Rooney will turn out as manager or player manager, so if he's appointed why not judge from there

Because it's a bad idea on principle. That there exists examples where it's worked, they are scant and from decades ago.

You can find examples of all sorts connected with success if you go looking for it, it doesn't inherently make them the reasons for success. 

9 minutes ago, DC-1975 said:

Let's face it, none of us know how Wayne Rooney will turn out as manager or player manager, so if he's appointed why not judge from there

But this is the problem. We don't know, and neither does the club.

And a club in our position CANNOT afford to take a random punt on a manager. We need proven, like the other clubs around us have hired in Pulis & Hughton. 

I am all for taking punts on managers when you are in the position to do so, we are not. A bad appointment means relegation.

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Such as who?

you'll find a detailed and memorable post about WR's associates if you search across all threads for the term 'chav' (!)   Also I remember being appalled by the way his agent re-negotiated his contract at ManU years ago, destabilising the team and trying to leverage every last penny out of the club that had treated him so well.  I'm not AT ALL saying he's a bad guy. But he appears weak and to be influenced by people who are not so good. Don't think that will change 

Nine pages already about this, I knew it would be controversial.

But this: 

"What we need to bring back for the players is simplicity. You can over complicate things at times. Different messages, different teams, different line ups - it's not always good for players."

Been saying that for a while so how can I disagree with a man who agrees with me? 

I am waiting to see what we look like on the pitch before passing judgement.

2 minutes ago, wollatonram said:

But this is the problem. We don't know, and neither does the club.

And a club in our position CANNOT afford to take a random punt on a manager. We need proven, like the other clubs around us have hired in Pulis & Hughton. 

I am all for taking punts on managers when you are in the position to do so, we are not. A bad appointment means relegation.

Also just because we don't know doesn't mean you can't take educated guesses and attempt to figure out what the likelihood of success is.

You can defend anything by the argument "well we don't know till it happens".

Outrageous comments by Rooney, Cocu's body isn't even cold yet and he has the cheek to state the obvious to the press, albeit in politer terms than a good percentage of our fanbase.

Can you imagine what Cocu's thinking right now? He probably thought, fairly enough, that even though we've parted ways we were going to continue his style and way of playing. But no, apparently, according to Wayne, we we need a change! I for one hope that doesn't include our league position.

35 minutes ago, David said:

Seen worse ideas. Mac 3 for one.

I am very far from McClaren's biggest fan but I would 100% have him in charge over Rooney as player manager.

He's already at a massive disadvantage with having no managerial experience & being complicit in the failure of the previous manager's reign. To add a playing brief to that is just adding fuel to the fire. How could he separate himself from the other players? Who decides to drop him when he's playing badly? We know that he loves playing & not unreasonable to think he would struggle to drop himself. In turn, how would the squad react to that & what would be the effect on their performances?

We'd go down if it was allowed to continue all season.

2 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I am very far from McClaren's biggest fan but I would 100% have him in charge over Rooney as player manager.

He's already at a massive disadvantage with having no managerial experience & being complicit in the failure of the previous manager's reign. To add a playing brief to that is just adding fuel to the fire. How could he separate himself from the other players? Who decides to drop him when he's playing badly? We know that he loves playing & not unreasonable to think he would struggle to drop himself. In turn, how would the squad react to that & what would be the effect on their performances?

We'd go down if it was allowed to continue all season.

McClaren as player manager? It gets worse! ?

If Rooney starts putting in the performances he did when he first arrived, who drops him won’t even be an issue. 

The interview on the OS both Rosenior and Rooney actually shared a joke on this which was good to see.

I’m not saying the appointment doesn’t come without concerns, it does, but I will give him a chance to be professional about the situation. As we all should really, fan of the idea or not.

5 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Let's be honest, that would be absolutely ducking hilarious. Absolute limbs on the forum.

Let’s be honest, the server wouldn’t cope for the first hour after the final whistle. 

I can actually contact the host a couple of times a year, tell them some big even is coming, lift all server restrictions and give me unlimited everything.

I’m so tempted to put a request in for Saturday 

2 minutes ago, David said:

Let’s be honest, the server wouldn’t cope for the first hour after the final whistle. 

I can actually contact the host a couple of times a year, tell them some big even is coming, lift all server restrictions and give me unlimited everything.

I’m so tempted to put a request in for Saturday 

We're gonna win.

5 minutes ago, Topram said:

Don’t want Rooney and think it’s pretty poor what’s been said, he was a part of Cocus coaching staff and it’s as if hes rebelled and got him sacked 

He was one seventh of Cocu's coaching staff, so takes one seventh of the blame at worst. 

Not getting at you Topram but I have only read three pages of this thread so far and there's more conspiracy theories in here than a little! 

Am I the only person left in the world that's so naive that I take things at face value?

13 minutes ago, JohnHarkes said:

Outrageous comments by Rooney, Cocu's body isn't even cold yet and he has the cheek to state the obvious to the press, albeit in politer terms than a good percentage of our fanbase.

Can you imagine what Cocu's thinking right now? He probably thought, fairly enough, that even though we've parted ways we were going to continue his style and way of playing. But no, apparently, according to Wayne, we we need a change! I for one hope that doesn't include our league position.

why on earth would he think that?

So Cocu has been criticised by many on here for overthinking things. I think that criticism can be levelled at several fans on this thread. Looking for conspiracies that ain’t there. Assuming Rooney and Rosenior are using this as their managerial pitch and it will cause nuclear war behind the scenes if only one of them gets it. 

I heard the interview on talk sport and have just watched it back. No issue whatsoever. Everything they said was bang on, Rooney started off his interview by thanking Cocu for everything he’s done for him personally, ended it by taking Some responsibility for where the team is right now, and if we also recall Rosenior did this after the Barnsley game.

If Rooney or Rosenior gets the job, there won’t be any behind the scenes issues as both are consumate professionals that put the team first. FFS Rooney has done that his whole career as a player and probably to his personal detriment.

I do have an issue with club giving the responsibility for the next game to all 4 of them (Rosenior Rooney Given and Walker) as management by committee often doesn’t work (though it can in some cases). However we need points, they’ve stepped forward so lets get behind them!

COYR!

Archived