Rooney: "A change was needed"

Bubbles

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, RAMesses III said:

I think a frustration for me is that he hasn't spoken out more often during the terrible run this season, if you are captain there are responsibilities and one should be dealing with the fans and media, did he do any of the pre or post match interviews this season so far?

When the club is sinking like a stone, the manager is under pressure, what can a captain say that would have made things better? 

51 minutes ago, Andicis said:

The difference is, Rooney was Cocu's captain and was part of the problem under his management. It's a bit different a player/coach under Cocu coming out and saying a change is needed, and fans saying it. How long has Rooney been thinking it? Has he been trying regardless? If you think it's the same thing, I don't know what to tell you.

Had PC still been here then I'm sure the answer would have been different, however he's not, he has to find a way of getting the best out of these individuals, starting tomorrow. What would you have rather the answer, a change wasn't needed it's the players fault, that's a good way to motivate. Players need to do better ? Well that's obvious isn't it, once again as a manager do you want your first interview to be questioning their ability or attitude.

6 minutes ago, Boycie said:

The point I’m making is if he came in now, and had not already been here.  I’m sure nobody though Frank really cared about us prior to him don’t the bounce.  Look we’re that got us.

Oh right, I missed that sorry. Fair point. If Rooney does end up getting the job and starts the bounce infront of a completely empty south stand he'll immediately win me over.

8 minutes ago, YoxallRam said:

Not play deep? That’s his best position, at his age.

Bring back Hughes ? as in Will Hughes?? The lad who was linked with Spurs in summer ?

If that's his best position then he should hang up his boots. He's detrimental to us in that position. Yeah, the lad who still plays for Watford, in this league, who has 18 months left on his contract, who still loves this club and a club which is about to have new owners who could easily splash £8m on Will. 

2 hours ago, mwram1973 said:

So what's he said that is so wrong?. He wasn't responsible for cocus sacking, he was learning from him, I very much doubt he had any input into tactics and who should play. 99% of folk on here said he needed to go, nice guy but not good enough and a change is needed. Rooney's just saying what everyone else is saying. Nothing more.

It's disrepectful and shows a complete lack of class. Whatever Rooney's personal views, there was no need for him to make them public. Cocu has only been gone a few days...

I for one am on tenterhooks about both the takeover and manager position.  In terms of Rooney running things short term, I'm good with that.  I wouldn't be surprised if he was fairly hamstrung whilst Cocu & team were in charge.   You could see his frustration on the pitch regularly.  Same for a lot of the players who I bet wanted to get forward, play more attacking football.  But couldn't.  One thing Rooney is, is a winner and an attacker at heart.  I'll be really interested to see how his (an LR) being in charge changes our shape, and more importantly our mentality.  We have some cracking players.  They need to be unleashed, not restrained like they have been.  

10 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

yeah.. Dalglish did a horrible job at it.... and so did Gullit...and Hoddle....and Souness...and Vialli...and Strachan...and even Dennis Wise...

The WM formation has won world cups and players used to smoke before games.... doesn't mean we should do it now nor does it make it a good idea then.

I can't think of many situations where the coaching team left behind go on to be a success......clear the lot out bring in Ralph Rangnick or someone who's going to know what he's doing ..............and his own ideas/coaching team...fresh owners fresh management team

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

As a person I've always kind of believed [WR is] a bit of rough diamond, but fundamentally good hearted and very determined. 

determined is a good word to describe him on the pitch, at least before lockdown. And on the pitch he has a great brain. But off the pitch he appears weak and gormless, and he's often described as divisive . And it's worrying to hear in other threads of the sorts of people who surround and influence him.   I think Rosenior has a very difficult role in the coming weeks

17 minutes ago, David said:

Seen worse ideas. Mac 3 for one.

Fair enough if you think that but I fundamentally disagree on specifically Mac3.

But on your more general point, just because something isn't as bad an idea as something else doesn't make it inherently a good idea we should commit to.

9 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

The WM formation has won world cups and players used to smoke before games.... doesn't mean we should do it now nor does it make it a good idea then.

So football has changed that much that a player manager can’t work..?? There is a big leap between smoking before games and a player manager working..!! 
mr Apple...meet mr orange. 

2 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Fair enough if you think that but I fundamentally disagree on specifically Mac3.

But on your more general point, just because something isn't as bad an idea as something else doesn't make it inherently a good idea we should commit to.

Nobody really knows if it’s a bad idea or not, what we do know is they have Saturday to impress both on and off the pitch. That could be as far as it goes, for now though I’m right behind them.

If we lose and Martin scores the winner, I might take a hammer to my router.

1 minute ago, kevinhectoring said:

determined is a good word to describe him on the pitch, at least before lockdown. And on the pitch he has a great brain. But off the pitch he appears weak and gormless, and he's often described as divisive . And it's worrying to hear in other threads of the sorts of people who surround and influence him.   I think Rosenior has a very difficult role in the coming weeks

I'm not his biggest fan, but I've never believed him to be a bad character in any way (bit of a ****** perhaps, but not outright bad) - you're right, he does just seem kind of gormless and a bit thick off the pitch, I've always put that down to him hating doing media stuff though. I think someone earlier in the thread said, a lot depends on who is around him and how they work together. If Rosenoir can work with him and it's a collaborative double act it may well work. 

Cocu came across as intelligent, but he didn't get the team playing very well. 

When he said "we need to bring back simplicity". It really hit home. Lets hope this simplicity can be the difference between winning and drawing/losing at the moment.

It sounds like we've maybe been trying to focus on every little detail previously, which as we know, with footballers doesn't always work. 

Onwards and upwards! COYR!

Archived