Rooney: "A change was needed"

Bubbles

8 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Remember how much coaching experience Lampard had when he came in, he’s openly admitted that he “winged it” in the job interview with Mel.

If you forget that Rooney plays for us for a minute, now think what the reaction would be if he was linked to the job as player manager?

Most were creaming theirselves when he first came.

How the mighty have fallen in some fans eyes.

The difference between the two for me was that with Lampard, you felt that while we were a stepping stone to him he seemed to really care for the club while here. I don't get the same impression from Rooney but it's possible I'm misjudging him entirely.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reads to me as if the players weren't to keen on Cocu chopping and changing formations/personnel, and was over complicating things, if Rooney and LR can “simplify” things and get them enjoying football results will follow.

I mentioned on a few match threads watching them it’s as if they were being held back especially when we had a 1-0 lead. We have talented young attacking players and given the freedom to play I think we’ll see more goals. Sibley has to play for me too we miss his creativity in the middle. 

3 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

A player-manager is and always has been a dreadful idea at anything like a professional sport, regardless of the player.

A manager needs to be able to drop any player at any time and have a degree of separation of from the squad. It would take an extraordinary character to remain objective whilst fulfilling both roles and that's without getting into it's almost certainly better to focus on a singular job.

It’s possible he would hang his boots up in May when his playing contract expires, player/manager being a temporary solution.

1 hour ago, David said:

This is what it boils down to.

Go on to win the next 3 in style, more will warm to the idea of appointing him. Although the questions will be, was it Rooney or Rosenior.

Win, everything is great though.

Lose, sack everyone, even the tea lady, buy a vending machine.

Well if the wardrobe ain't coming back I suppose a vending machine is as good as anyone else up front?

The change that was needed was Rooney out of the club.

Suffice to say Im pretty disgusted with the total lack of responsibility he has taken for our current position, given he was a part of both the coaching side & playing side. A bit of humility & class would have gone a long way today but he couldnt even manage that. 

Look forward to the nauseating media praise for him if we manage to string a couple of wins together. Of course, Rooney to do his usual disappearing act if results go badly & his media pals to set up Rosenior as the fall guy.

Cant wait for this media circus to end. If this takeover is actually a thing, hope they've got the good sense to bring in an entirely fresh management team.

Just now, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I know it was a very short clip, but does any think Rooney appeared slightly more 'managerial' in that clip? Don't get me wrong, he's still not the most charismatic speaker in the world, but he seemed to speak more passionately than he usually does in interviews.

There's a five minute version on the club website. I agree he never seems to be a great player interview (but apparantly he's just always been like that)

15 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

A player-manager is and always has been a dreadful idea at anything like a professional sport, regardless of the player.

A manager needs to be able to drop any player at any time and have a degree of separation of from the squad. It would take an extraordinary character to remain objective whilst fulfilling both roles and that's without getting into it's almost certainly better to focus on a singular job.

Ok, what if he came in out the blue as manager? 

2 hours ago, Uptherams said:

One change that is certainly needed is Rooney to not play deep and also be subbed off once his legs go, which tends to be around 60-65mins.

I hope we bring back Hughes as Rooney's replacement and also injury prone Holmes. 

Not play deep? That’s his best position, at his age.

Bring back Hughes ? as in Will Hughes?? The lad who was linked with Spurs in summer ?

15 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

The difference between the two for me was that with Lampard, you felt that while we were a stepping stone to him he seemed to really care for the club while here. I don't get the same impression from Rooney but it's possible I'm misjudging him entirely.

The point I’m making is if he came in now, and had not already been here.  I’m sure nobody though Frank really cared about us prior to him don’t the bounce.  Look we’re that got us.

7 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I know it was a very short clip, but does any think Rooney appeared slightly more 'managerial' in that clip? Don't get me wrong, he's still not the most charismatic speaker in the world, but he seemed to speak more passionately than he usually does in interviews.

I think a frustration for me is that he hasn't spoken out more often during the terrible run this season, if you are captain there are responsibilities and one should be dealing with the fans and media, did he do any of the pre or post match interviews this season so far?

3 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Ok, what if he came in out the blue as manager? 

I still would think it wasn't a great ide although not to anywhere near the same degree. Mostly due to lack of experience combined with that the job right now needs someone to hit the ground running which is asking a lot of a brand new manager.

20 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

yeah.. Dalglish did a horrible job at it.... and so did Gullit...and Hoddle....and Souness...and Vialli...and Strachan...and even Dennis Wise...

Archived