Rooney: "A change was needed"

Bubbles

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

This forum has a 90 page thread advocating the sacking of the previous manager....Derby part ways with said manager by mutual consent both agreeing based upon results a change is needed....Wayne Rooney says team needed a change based upon league position in a press conference when asked question....and gets crucified.

The thinking of a modern day football fan ?

The difference is, Rooney was Cocu's captain and was part of the problem under his management. It's a bit different a player/coach under Cocu coming out and saying a change is needed, and fans saying it. How long has Rooney been thinking it? Has he been trying regardless? If you think it's the same thing, I don't know what to tell you.

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Pat Lyons seems to be the u23 manager to me

Yeah, under the surveillance of Wassall. 

But seriously speaking, would be great to create a funnel from U23 to first team for the staff as well as young players. Can't recall many teams in England doing so.

From what I remember, Rooneys job was to work with the coaching staff to watch and create tapes on areas where individual players could improve with a focus on the youth. He couldn't have had much time to do much else besides training and prepping for games?

If someone with experience is brought in alongside Wayne and... 

If we can see an upturn in form starting this week and... 

If we can trust Rooney and the coaching/scouting team around him with some funds in the transfer window. 

Then maybe Rooney could be a decent manager for us. But feel like he needs a strong team of staff around him. He isn't a natural manager in the same way Lampard was when he came into the role. 

Quite interesting watching the video rather than just reading the quotes and brings to mind the Nixon/JFK TV debates. Many comentators who listened on Radio thought Nixon won whilst the public opinion of those watching on TV thought JFK won. 
In the video Rooney & Rosenior are very intense and business like and winning the next game shone out as being the only thing that matters. That’s my take anyway. 

9 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Here's something radical.............Why not get behind him/them and see how they do?

Don’t be daft. It’s funnier to lay into Rooney, call him a thick snake at the circus. ?

Can’t wait for him to score the winner on Saturday.

love it GIF

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

A change was needed, Wayne? 50% of that coaching team are still here...

Not a great start.

It's unlikely that the remaining 50% of the coaching team were responsible for more than 10% of the teams ethos/tactics/formation etc

I am not a fan of appointing Rooney at all, but I am prepared to give whoever we appoint a fair crack.

Haven’t read all 6 pages of this, hope ifs not full of a lot of faux outrage at somebody giving an honest opinion (and one very Many fans have been saying). 

It’s hardly front page news that a team bottom of the league needs to change is it?

Giving the benefit of the doubt I think it looks bad written down and shows the problem with live tweeting a press conference (as Conway here has decided the impetus of the sentence, where he could have given the quote Rooney said about Cocu and then added ‘although WR acknowledged a change was needed’. It says the same thing without the bluntness). I think it needs more context.

Saying that there does seem to be some odd quotes throughout the press conference, that have to make me question whether the clubs, and fans, best interests are at heart.

It also doesn’t look good when you are the captain who hasn’t faced up to post or pre game press conferences for a long time, all of a sudden getting your face out there because you quite fancy the managerial position. 

There that’s my balanced ‘on the fence’ position. A bit more thought is needed all round.

Remember how much coaching experience Lampard had when he came in, he’s openly admitted that he “winged it” in the job interview with Mel.

If you forget that Rooney plays for us for a minute, now think what the reaction would be if he was linked to the job as player manager?

Most were creaming theirselves when he first came.

How the mighty have fallen in some fans eyes.

20 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

If someone with experience is brought in alongside Wayne and... 

If we can see an upturn in form starting this week and... 

If we can trust Rooney and the coaching/scouting team around him with some funds in the transfer window. 

Then maybe Rooney could be a decent manager for us. But feel like he needs a strong team of staff around him. He isn't a natural manager in the same way Lampard was when he came into the role. 

Mac...

3 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Here's something radical.............Why not get behind him/them and see how they do?

I'm fully behind the team, just like I'm fully behind anyone who wants the best for this club which is why I was fully behind Cocu right until he got sacked. It just doesn't sit easy with me that in the very first press conference after the previous manager leaves, Rooney thinks it's appropriate to have a slight pop while assuming none of the blame himself when he was very much a big part of the problem as club captain and part of the coaching staff. That doesn't mean I'm going to sit watching RamsTV on saturday and boo at my monitor whenever he comes on screen, however it does mean that I'm less comfortable with the idea of him taking over permanently.

4 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Remember how much coaching experience Lampard had when he came in, he’s openly admitted that he “winged it” in the job interview with Mel.

If you forget that Rooney plays for us for a minute, now think what the reaction would be if he was linked to the job as player manager?

A player-manager is and always has been a dreadful idea at anything like a professional sport, regardless of the player.

A manager needs to be able to drop any player at any time and have a degree of separation of from the squad. It would take an extraordinary character to remain objective whilst fulfilling both roles and that's without getting into it's almost certainly better to focus on a singular job.

7 minutes ago, Boycie said:

This seems reasonable and well considered. You kids playing with your dad’s phone again!

21 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Come on Andy, cheer up - what were you expecting? This was never a fling mate, it’s a lifetime sentence.

Judging by the majority on this thread and the way club has been the last few years, we seem to be keen on quick flings and being seduced by words.

Archived