Rooney: "A change was needed"

Bubbles

1 hour ago, Bubbles said:

Rooney's first comment in the press conference is "I think the change was needed".

To me this comes across a bit shady? Cocu gave him his first managerial gig, and ultimately Rooney is responsible aswell as Cocu, but it seems to me that he isn't taking responsibility for that...

jungle book snake GIF

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This forum has a 90 page thread advocating the sacking of the previous manager....Derby part ways with said manager by mutual consent both agreeing based upon results a change is needed....Wayne Rooney says team needed a change based upon league position in a press conference when asked question....and gets crucified.

The thinking of a modern day football fan ?

6 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Jason Knight doesnt seem to have struggled ?‍♂️

But, proof is in the pudding, let's see what result we get on Saturday and take it from there.

How many goals has he scored, or how often has he been in the box?

And your message is incorrect - the proof of the pudding is in the eating. ?

Whatever Rooney has said in the press conference I think by judging the sentiment from many of the comments on here that he will be up against it. People say he is a divisive character but I don’t even think he divides opinion as most seem to have an inherent dislike of him which I think sits alongside the issue of Cocu leaving. I think this comes from controversy in his personal life and his general demeanour/appearance/speaking voice. I’d prefer a more experienced manager but whilst Rooney and Rosenior are at the helm I want them to do well. Maybe this forum just errs towards a preference for a more cerebral type and the perception of Rooney the person is a bit unpalatable for some. I believe it takes all sorts in life and would be willing to get behind him as much as I did with Cocu, Lampard, Rowett etc... 

Why are people getting offended by the one phrase? It's clear that a change was needed as we were losing a ton of games in a row, and it was made. Even Cocu would say that a change was needed, there's genuinely no controversy in that.

From everything that has come out since Cocu wasn't right for Championship level players.

(e.g. Cocu never tried to address immediate problems in training, overloaded our team with opposition information, gave our players too much agency in decision making on the pitch and now Rooney/Rosenior saying that we need to simplify messages) The type of players who would be able to manage all of these instructions and big picture stuff would be playing for the likes of Guardiola 

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Wassall would have been my pick as interim boss, Walker 2nd choice, Rosenior 3rd.

I've said it earlier, but not for you so I'll say it again. TAKE YER DIRTY HANDS OFF!!!

Wassall is needed where he is! And that's a team which gives me more pleasure than Rams.

2 minutes ago, Shang said:

Why are people getting offended by the one phrase? It's clear that a change was needed as we were losing a ton of games in a row, and it was made. Even Cocu would say that a change was needed, there's genuinely no controversy in that.

From everything that has come out since Cocu wasn't right for Championship level players.

(e.g. Cocu never tried to address immediate problems in training, overloaded our team with opposition information, gave our players too much agency in decision making on the pitch and now Rooney/Rosenior saying that we need to simplify messages) The type of players who would be able to manage all of these instructions and big picture stuff would be playing for the likes of Guardiola 

Obvious that a change was needed. Not rocket Science. Wayne was not give a specific role in coaching as far as I understand, therefore a fresh start for Wayne now. He will play in his favourite position in Saturday we will see where that is and how he performs in it. Wayne is used to playing with better players or certainly with players at a higher Club level. This is the time for Wayne to show what he can do as quarterback in an attacking team. Let us hope that Rafa comes here.

35 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

hard to read the tea leaves given WR's comments above 

If Rooney was going to be appointed, he would surely know by now and wouldn't be commenting in the way he is. The whole caretaker thing would be unnecessary

If Rooney has not been approached and if they are talking to someone else, wouldn't he and his agents have seen the signs? And if so why would he be saying he wants the job? He'd be sulking

could the plan be that the caretaker team will stay in place for a few games and, if they turn things around, some combination will stay on longer term. In which case maybe there are no serious discussions ongoing with anyone?

My thoughts exactly, especially if the takeover hits a snag (£££)

2 minutes ago, Orphanram said:

Whatever Rooney has said in the press conference I think by judging the sentiment from many of the comments on here that he will be up against it. People say he is a divisive character but I don’t even think he divides opinion as most seem to have an inherent dislike of him which I think sits alongside the issue of Cocu leaving. I think this comes from controversy in his personal life and his general demeanour/appearance/speaking voice. I’d prefer a more experienced manager but whilst Rooney and Rosenior are at the helm I want them to do well. Maybe this forum just errs towards a preference for a more cerebral type and the perception of Rooney the person is a bit unpalatable for some. I believe it takes all sorts in life and would be willing to get behind him as much as Ia did with Cocu, Lampard, Rowett etc... 

I think it's more to do with the press articles coming out about him taking over which had been going on for months - had that not been the subtext of him taking charge in the aftermath of Cocu leaving I think a lot more would be a lot more willing. Win a few games and I'm sure we'll all be onboard. That and post lockdown I don't think he's been playing very well but also seemingly "has to play if available".  The notion or perception of Rooney overshadowing the club is irritating quite irritating, quite apart from his merits.

At the moment, I'm sceptical, and I'll freely admit, I just don't particularly like him (or more accurately, the circumstances which brought him here, add onto that the baggage, media attention, 32 red deal etc), but win some games and I'll be as happy as anyone to be the fickle fan. As a person I've always kind of believed he's a bit of rough diamond, but fundamentally good hearted and very determined. 

We are all in agreement that a change was needed. What irks me (and probably others) is the fact that Rooney seems to be abject of any responsibility for where we are. 

He was a key member of the coaching staff and a regular starter. I have no objection to Wayne learning his trade here as a coach but we need an experienced manager who can commit to a project and won’t be undermined.

1 hour ago, Bubbles said:

Rooney's first comment in the press conference is "I think the change was needed".

To me this comes across a bit shady? Cocu gave him his first managerial gig, and ultimately Rooney is responsible aswell as Cocu, but it seems to me that he isn't taking responsibility for that...

Disagree. 

Cocu didn't give him a 'managerial gig', he was signed as a player/coach. Meaning he learns about coaching while he's playing, he was never responsible for making decisions or anything like that, he was just learning. Don't really think there is much for him to be held responsible for. All decisions made and tactics etc, were down to Cocu at the end of the day.

Just now, SouthernRam said:

We are all in agreement that a change was needed. What irks me (and probably others) is the fact that Rooney seems to be abject of any responsibility for where we are. 

He was a key member of the coaching staff and a regular starter. I have no objection to Wayne learning his trade here as a coach but we need an experienced manager who can commit to a project and won’t be undermined.

Wayne would learn more from Rafa. Who was Rafa's second in command and who does he have in China to help him. Will the Rams players need to learn Cantonese or just how better to order one as a takeaway 

Any new manager would be a gamble but some are a bigger gamble than others.The whole team needs an attitude fix,to stop them playing like they are afraid to lose into playing like they want to win.Its a big ask for anyone but for someone on his first gig it could be disastrous .

17 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

This forum has a 90 page thread advocating the sacking of the previous manager....Derby part ways with said manager by mutual consent both agreeing based upon results a change is needed....Wayne Rooney says team needed a change based upon league position in a press conference when asked question....and gets crucified.

The thinking of a modern day football fan ?

I think peoples grievence with Rooneys statement come down to the fact that he's player, captain and coach during this disaster of a season.

He's absolutely correct that a change was needed. But he's been a major factor in our performances. I think holding his hands up and not appearing to be shifting blame onto the previous manager would've been received in a much better light. 

How much impact he had on tatics and selection is anyones guess, but his performances haven't been anywhere near good enough. I don't think he was really in the place to be saying changes were needed, without including himself in them.

Archived