Rooney: "A change was needed"

Bubbles

4 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

So who misses out though, someone has to...Bielik, Shinnie, Sibley, Lawrence, Waghorn? I just think he is no longer good enough to start when we have nearly a fully fit squad with just Ibe and Duncan to possibly be considered....

IF, and it's a big if, If he's on his game and allowed to play then imo he's better than anything we have. He's not as quick but his football brain and ability is still light years ahead of anything we have.

If he plays as a number 10 then it's going to be Lawrence

If it's in front of the back 2 it would be shinnie.

Lawrence hasn't pulled up ay trees this season, shinnie on the other hand would be a tough one.

only my opinion of course.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

IF, and it's a big if, If he's on his game and allowed to play then imo he's better than anything we have. He's not as quick but his football brain and ability is still light years ahead of anything we have.

If he plays as a number 10 then it's going to be Lawrence

If it's in front of the back 2 it would be shinnie.

Lawrence hasn't pulled up ay trees this season, shinnie on the other hand would be a tough one.

only my opinion of course.

In the system I want to see us playing, high tempo, quick passing, full of energy, Lawrence for me would be part of that, Wazza wouldn’t. I will be delighted to be proved wrong though ?

10 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Derby will always be a step up from Watford, even if we were in the fourth division. Their biggest achievement is winning the league above that a couple of times.

Maybe 60 years ago that would be correct. Derby is not a step up from Watford at the moment. You can't use achievements from more than half a century ago as a reason why we could be considered a bigger, more attractive club.

Watford have far more money to spend and a higher allowable loss under FFP. Until this year they were an established Premier League club and they are far one of the favourites to get promoted again this year. They also have plans to either expand the stadium or build an entirely new one. We are bottom of the Championship and have been stuck in the second tier for 20 years - any manager who thinks we are a step up needs their head looking at. We have a better academy and training ground, but that is pretty much it.

9 hours ago, neil62uk said:

Sitting proudly  at the bottom of the championship  with 1 win all season ... 

His observation  skills are second to none  in reference  " A change was needed "

I just don't know how you think them up Wayne 

Cocu didn't.

43 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

He's not as quick but his football brain and ability is still light years ahead of anything we have.

We're not talking the Wardrobe are we! ? Yeah it's odd how some fans think the only way to play fast football is by running around really quickly! ?

49 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

We're not talking the Wardrobe are we! ? Yeah it's odd how some fans think the only way to play fast football is by running around really quickly! ?

John McGovern tells a story about Clough at Hartlepool. Clough told McGovern to get the ball from one post to another, a few yards away, as quickly as possible. So, as a winger in those days, McGovern carefully dribbled it as quickly as he could between the two posts. Clough walked over, took the ball and just passed it from one post to the other.

Colin Murray reads the forum. Also disagrees with those that say Rooney isn’t ready.

I’ll share this one paragraph from his article on Cocu/Rooney which gave me a chuckle.

“Tactically, he couldn’t seem to settle on a formation, and all too often it was a case of way too much foreplay and not enough penetration. This season, they have had more possession than Pablo Escobar, but delivered little in the way of highs.” 

https://www.metro.news/colin-murray-this-cash-rich-county-could-deliver-under-you-know-roo/2227671/amp/#click=https://t.co/V5vqPhcQPb

9 minutes ago, David said:

Colin Murray reads the forum. Also disagrees with those that say Rooney isn’t ready.

I’ll share this one paragraph from his article on Cocu/Rooney which gave me a chuckle.

“Tactically, he couldn’t seem to settle on a formation, and all too often it was a case of way too much foreplay and not enough penetration. This season, they have had more possession than Pablo Escobar, but delivered little in the way of highs.” 

https://www.metro.news/colin-murray-this-cash-rich-county-could-deliver-under-you-know-roo/2227671/amp/#click=https://t.co/V5vqPhcQPb

I thought that was a really good article. Both about Rooney and the new owners, even if it was a bit of guess work, still very well written.

As much as I thought/think Rooney is the wrong appointment, reading that and watching the interview with both Rosenior and Rooney has swayed me a little into giving it some time before forming an opinion.

The stand out for me from Rooney was talking about simplifying things, next 3 games will see just how much change he and Liam can implement.

2 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I thought that was a really good article. Both about Rooney and the new owners, even if it was a bit of guess work, still very well written.

As much as I thought/think Rooney is the wrong appointment, reading that and watching the interview with both Rosenior and Rooney has swayed me a little into giving it some time before forming an opinion.

The stand out for me from Rooney was talking about simplifying things, next 3 games will see just how much change he and Liam can implement.

To quote Colin Murray again

”I have never heard a bad word said against him. He is the type of guy you’d run through walls for and, if you refused, he would put you through it!”

Regardless of where we all stand on this, I’m sure we can all agree that hopefully the above is true and we see that starting today.

2 hours ago, GenBr said:

Maybe 60 years ago that would be correct. Derby is not a step up from Watford at the moment. You can't use achievements from more than half a century ago as a reason why we could be considered a bigger, more attractive club.

Watford have far more money to spend and a higher allowable loss under FFP. Until this year they were an established Premier League club and they are far one of the favourites to get promoted again this year. They also have plans to either expand the stadium or build an entirely new one. We are bottom of the Championship and have been stuck in the second tier for 20 years - any manager who thinks we are a step up needs their head looking at. We have a better academy and training ground, but that is pretty much it.

Derby will always be a bigger club than Watford.  A few years in the sun won't change that .  Normal service will be resumed presently.

16 minutes ago, David said:

4-2-3-1 is a formation that has never really worked well for us. It’s our bogey formation. 

Only decent run of results recently was with 4-2-3-1, rooney/bird as the 2?

I get a feeling Rooney fancies himself in a nice long Arsene Wenger coat standing on the sidelines though. I don't reckon he'll want to start the match and let Liamook like the boss.

Archived