Rooney: "A change was needed"

Bubbles

2 hours ago, Tombo said:

Can't wait for this place to explode tomorrow when Rooney picks himself to play.

Rightly so as well, because I'm bored of his ego stinking up the club. Can't wait for him to leave.

If by chance the new owners are reading this, Wayne Rooney is the worst possible option for manager you could pick right now, I promise you.

The fact that everyone in the game hold him in the highest regard, suggests that he could be the right man for the job.

I will hold my judgement on his ability as a manager until the next few games have gone.

Not once have i noticed his ego "stinking up the club".

You have issues with him, fair enough but you make him sound like the devil and the worst thing to happen to the club when the truth is nothing you said has substance.

Stop wetting your pants over him and get behind him. If he fails he'll be gone. But what if he does fantastically well??????.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

The fact that everyone in the game hold him in the highest regard, suggests that he could be the right man for the job.

Yep that's right.. countless other clubs are queuing up to take him on as their manager..errrr.. or is it just that he happens to be here? 

Stop wetting your pants over him and get behind him. If he fails he'll be gone. But what if he does fantastically well??????.

'Fantastically well' as in, he wins a couple of games?

Exactly.. Be typical if we finally get ownership with huge plans and then we are lumbered with a novice with no experience or clue how to build a team. 

Over 20 odd years of interviews /press conferences and I have seen nothing that convinces me he will make a decent manager. 

1 minute ago, Chester40 said:

Over 20 odd years of interviews /press conferences and I have seen nothing that convinces me he will make a decent manager. 

Neither have I, he doesn't speak particularly well in interviews. However, with some of the pointless questions players get asked, it requires a fair amount of creativity to give a remotely interesting response.

"So Wayne, talk us through your first goal?"

"Erm, well I picked up the ball, got my head up and put it top corner"  

What are they expecting? Football's instinctive for the most part, especially for forwards, it doesn't involve a drawn out thought process.

It's interesting that the vast majority of his colleagues and ex-managers who have spoken in the past have commented on his footballing intelligence and how he has the potential to make a good manager. Unless he's slipping them some coin to try and make him sound smarter than he is, then it's probably no coincidence. For now I'd trust their comments more than my perception of him based on his appearances in the press.

4 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Yep that's right.. countless other clubs are queuing up to take him on as their manager..errrr.. or is it just that he happens to be here? 

Exactly.. Be typical if we finally get ownership with huge plans and then we are lumbered with a novice with no experience or clue how to build a team. 

Ridiculous comments, ffs he's only just said he want's the job, why would clubs be queuing up for him when he wasn't in a position to take a job, he was/is here to learn along side the manager nothing more.

Yeah fantastically well, as in a damn sight better than what a double title winning experienced manager has managed this season with all his experience.

We was lumbered with a novice when we had Lampard and that novice took us to the playoff final. 

No one knows how Rooney will do as a manager but to shoot him down before he's started just stinks of personal dislike of him which is, to be honest, childish.

He might not even get the job, so until the takeover is complete whats wrong with him having a go with Liam?.

8 minutes ago, JohnHarkes said:

Neither have I, he doesn't speak particularly well in interviews. However, with some of the pointless questions players get asked, it requires a fair amount of creativity to give a remotely interesting response.

"So Wayne, talk us through your first goal?"

"Erm, well I picked up the ball, got my head up and put it top corner"  

What are they expecting? Football's instinctive for the most part, especially for forwards, it doesn't involve a drawn out thought process.

It's interesting that the vast majority of his colleagues and ex-managers who have spoken in the past have commented on his footballing intelligence and how he has the potential to make a good manager. Unless he's slipping them some coin to try and make him sound smarter than he is, then it's probably no coincidence. For now I'd trust their comments more than my perception of him based on his appearances in the press.

I don't disagree in part...ultimately the game is kicking a ball in a net. How complicated is the manager's job really, what can anyone say that rises above the response you gave ? 

So why do people endlessly discuss managers, tactics, players....?

Gazza was a genius on the pitch, read it endlessly, car crash off it. 

There will be trouble ahead.....at least on this forum.

If we do well, some folks will say we just needed to replace Cocu. Others will say, the coaches were not supporting Cocu - or that it was always going to come good when everyone was fit again.

If we do badly, some folks will say the problems were more deep rooted than the manager alone whereas others will say it was the state that Cocu left us in.

Either way. This forum will be split for a while longer.

As I have said previously, we will only be unified by the appointment of John Gregory......I have not seen many in favour of him, so we could all rally around that ?

Anyhow, whoever is the manager.....even if it ends up being John Gregory, it's our club. COYR ?

1 minute ago, Chester40 said:

I don't disagree in part...ultimately the game is kicking a ball in a net. How complicated is the manager's job really, what can anyone say that rises above the response you gave ? 

So why do people endlessly discuss managers, tactics, players....?

Gazza was a genius on the pitch, read it endlessly, car crash off it. 

I'm not suggesting management is simple just because someone happens to have that natural footballing instinct. I just don't think the interviews he's given as a player have really given him much of an opportunity to display whatever tactical nous he might possess, and I think that's the same for most players. 99% of player interviews, especially post-match, lack any real insight because the questions are pointless.

I don't think anyone (in their right mind) ever suggested that Gazza would have made a good coach/manager, or that he even displayed much of on an interest in becoming one. Whereas the comments on Rooney's footballing intelligence extend beyond what he does on the pitch and to the dressing room, tactically and motivationally, so I think (hope) there's something in it.

8 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

Ridiculous comments, ffs he's only just said he want's the job, why would clubs be queuing up for him when he wasn't in a position to take a job, he was/is here to learn along side the manager nothing more.

So you think they would be? 

Yeah fantastically well, as in a damn sight better than what a double title winning experienced manager has managed this season with all his experience.

That is the weird kind of argument I'd expect my 10 year old to make. 

We was lumbered with a novice when we had Lampard and that novice took us to the playoff final. 

No one knows how Rooney will do as a manager but to shoot him down before he's started just stinks of personal dislike of him which is, to be honest, childish.

Its childish to constantly name call. 

I personally am of the opinion from watching him speak over decades that he is lacking in charisma, charm or personality. I'm entitled to that opinion. You are basing your appraisal on his managerial skills on...? 

He might not even get the job, so until the takeover is complete whats wrong with him having a go with Liam?.

Nothing. But make it clear he is helping us out for a few days. Don't give him the job permanently. He seems to be of the opinion that's a possibility, I don't want that to happen. 

Anyway. Said my bit. Let's see what happens. 

Seriously, what is wrong with people. The way they personally attack our players (or managers) really puts me off my fellow followers of the Rams (i cant bring myself to call you supporters).....Rooney has been a brilliant professional since the age of 16. If he is appointed I expect him to give his all for the club.

Give him the job till the end of the season with the incentive of a longer contract if he delivers, would be a reasonable option IMO.

3 hours ago, Tombo said:

Can't wait for this place to explode tomorrow when Rooney picks himself to play.

Rightly so as well, because I'm bored of his ego stinking up the club. Can't wait for him to leave.

If by chance the new owners are reading this, Wayne Rooney is the worst possible option for manager you could pick right now, I promise you.

I actually think he will name himself sub , watch the game pan out and bring himself on if and when

5 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

There will be trouble ahead.....at least on this forum.

If we do well, some folks will say we just needed to replace Cocu. Others will say, the coaches were not supporting Cocu - or that it was always going to come good when everyone was fit again.

If we do badly, some folks will say the problems were more deep rooted than the manager alone whereas others will say it was the state that Cocu left us in.

Either way. This forum will be split for a while longer.

As I have said previously, we will only be unified by the appointment of John Gregory......I have not seen many in favour of him, so we could all rally around that ?

Anyhow, whoever is the manager.....even if it ends up being John Gregory, it's our club. COYR ?

From the comments on here over the last few days, it's blindingly obvious those who don't want Rooney as manager just have a dislike for him, nothing more.

Nothing to do with his ability as a potential manager.

3 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

From the comments on here over the last few days, it's blindingly obvious those who don't want Rooney as manager just have a dislike for him, nothing more.

I know what you are saying but I don't fully agree with that.

Another camp, one that I probably fall into, think that Rooney's presence undermined Cocu. I hasten to add that I do not blame Rooney for that. I think that's Mel's fault for, maybe, being a little star struck. (It has no doubt attracted the new owner/money too so I see Mel's view aswell).

Anyhow, I think it's almost been inevitable from day one that Rooney would become our manager. It's probably happening sooner than expected because of our poor form this season.

So, my hesitancy on endorsing Rooney is the bad taste created by the inevitability of it all.

I do think the Rooney/Rosenior partnership could actually work - though I do wish one of them would be given the title role.

Benitez, the other high profile candidate, is clearly more experienced but, in my view, is much more defensive in his outlook, maybe even more so than Cocu.

I am sure Rooney will be more attack minded.

Just now, IronRam 140.6 said:

Humility, class, professionalism.

All words I'm hearing on here that Wayne needs to learn or hasn't shown during the closing of Cocu's reign. 

My advice Wayne, try and emulate our greatest ever manager Brian Clough; because as we all know those words were invented because of him. ?

Clough - humility!! ?

I do think Cocu was very dignified but the recent manager that I think has been the most respectful, when he arrived (let's ignore his departure), was Frank Lampard. The interview he gave with the actor fella when he first arrived and he recounted the stories that his Dad had told him about the great Derby sides from the 70s will be a cherished memory of mine for his stay here.

43 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

His potential as a manager is irrelevant. I have nothing against Rooney, Terry or Roseinier - I just don't want any of these people as our manager.

We need a wakeup call, it is not an old boys club. We are in a relegation battle, hire a manager suited to dealing with that.

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

I am puzzled by your ultimate paragraph, as I have been by other posters who keep referring to the way Rooney speaks. We are looking for a manager not a newsreader. Why is speaking to camera so important?  No points have ever been earned, or cups won, by someone giving fantastic interviews. Over 2 years of interviews/press conferences I still haven’t understood a bloody word Bielsa has spoken. Perhaps his interpreter is the decent manager of the two?

Archived