Rooney: "A change was needed"

Bubbles

My impression is that cocu lost the group with the thinkering, the changes, dropping player after player, and ultimately poor results. They certainly didn’t look like they were playing for him in the last two games. But he never got much support from the senior players.

There was one interview when Owen said “ you’ll have Wayne Rooney back” and cocu’s eyes lit up. this was just after all the stories in the press after Rooney taking over, and allegedly talking openly about who might be his coaches.

Wayne looks like he has few qualms about treading on a few toes. as for Liam - he does seem to blather on a bit.

I’ll be surprised if this works. The body language looks awkward.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

What do they say when asked then?

So if Rooney had said.. 

'Yeh I think Phillip was pretty clueless. His tactics were confused and negative, his man management was poor and generally I had no confidence in his ability to turn it around. I've worked with some of the best managers in world football and I think I am going to be up there with the best of them in the future, unfortunately Phillip wasn't one of them. I tried telling him where he was going wrong but he wouldnt listen so ultimately I'm glad we got rid because he was taking us down. Obviously if I do well in the next 2 or 3 games I fully expect to get the job til the end of the season. Hopefully on a 3 year contract with an option to pay me off with a year's wages if the players don't respond to my amazing coaching because they aren't good enough to transmit my vision'.

That's possibly a reasonable approximation of what he thinks...but I think you would agree he wouldn't say it. Fans saying 'Oh yeh, we want him to be honest, good on him' are actually meaning 'nice to hear him repeat what I think'. Anyone who wants a genuinely honest manager should look at Roy Keane or (Paulo di Canio) who just goes round offending everyone (yes, I know what he did at Sunderland).

A good part of being a manager is protecting and generally avoiding upsetting players, and then delivering a tongue-lashing behind the scenes where needed. Wayne immediately came out and I think slightly fell into the trap of distancing himself from the ills of the previous regime, now some players will be fine, some won't care a toss and maybe a couple will think he lacks a little class. 

He may galvanise the team (nothing I have seen over the years or recently makes me think he will make a great manager though) but for me it is just delaying the moment we get someone who actually has the experience, skills, charisma and day to day desire to build something sustainable rather than using his profile and medals to get him a job he doesn't really deserve. In hindsight it does feel inevitable this would happen.

Him getting the job permanently feels almost set in stone but I really hope I'm wrong and we pick someone else. Him hanging around in the background won't work unless it's a very strong and established coach, so still Jokanovic for me. I think Paul Cook would get possibly two games before he started coming under pressure from some quarters. 

13 hours ago, Uptherams said:

If that's his best position then he should hang up his boots. He's detrimental to us in that position. Yeah, the lad who still plays for Watford, in this league, who has 18 months left on his contract, who still loves this club and a club which is about to have new owners who could easily splash £8m on Will. 

You really don’t understand football.

Still loves the club? Are you his best mate? He’ll be on £30k+ at Watford, he’s been linked with Spurs, why would he come to bottom of the championship?

We have all been for job interviews and you plan what to say for the most difficult questions you know are likely to be asked. 

So Wayne had a damn good idea what he was going to be asked in a press conference and has advisers too. He could have taken the 'as players we are all gutted,and personally as part of the coaching staff I have to take my share of the blame and I'm lucky I have the chance to help us steady the ship for now ...' route. He could also have taken the 'first and foremost I'm a player and I want to extend my career as long as I can, I am happy to help out until we get the right man to take on the role permanently and I don't think a part time player/manager is what we need' route too.

Nice and honest answer there surely...he's never experienced success with a player manager so surely he agrees it's not the way to go? 

Instead he started to distance himself and completely didn't close any doors. Yep, people will say 'why should he'? Personally, because I don't want him to get the job... but my point is fans trying to say he didn't have an agenda other than be honest are naive. 

Wayne as a Derby player was exciting..as player manager it is really not what I had in mind. 

Quicker the sale goes through and we can appoint a proper manager the better. 

13 hours ago, David said:

Nobody really knows if it’s a bad idea or not, what we do know is they have Saturday to impress both on and off the pitch. That could be as far as it goes, for now though I’m right behind them.

If we lose and Martin scores the winner, I might take a hammer to my router.

David, let’s face it, it shouldn’t be a surprise as it is hardly unlikely.  List of unlikely results, most unlikely first

we win

we draw

we lose and CM scores/ creates at least one one

we lose by one goal

we get comprehensively beaten

sorry for being negative but recent experience is not helpful.  Every likelihood CM will do something significant

I think it’s played out quite nicely for Rooney.

He came to Derby to do two things.

First, to play out his career in England at a level he could cope with (jury slightly out on that one).

Secondly, to get his badges and realise his ambition of being a manager.

Had Cocu been a success, Rooney would be trying to work out what his next move is. The fans appreciate his skill, but in a young team, it’s difficult to fit him in.

Now that Cocu has failed, he’s a prime candidate to replace him, supported by the media frenzy. He will have built allies within the club. Those without the clout to become managers themselves will cling to him like limpets.

I don’t see him being a success but I did think Cocu would be so what do I know?

If he does get the job, he will get my support as a Derby Country fan.

2 hours ago, YoxallRam said:

You really don’t understand football.

Still loves the club? Are you his best mate? He’ll be on £30k+ at Watford, he’s been linked with Spurs, why would he come to bottom of the championship?

And yet they never bid for him. Derby under this new owner is a step up compared to his current situation. Bound for the Premier League. 

I understand far more about football than you. Deal with it. 

9 hours ago, JustOneChrissyMartin said:

My question would be what are yous lot gonna do if we win the next 3 whilst playing really well?

Rooney really is in a position where he can’t win, he states the obvious and gets slated for it- for a quote that was take out of context anyway. 

If they do well I wouldn’t mind seeing a Rooney manager Rosenior assistant combination. 

Whilst obviously happy with the results my worry would be that we have had some sort of 'new manager bounce' and that three games isn't really enough of a sample size to take such a punt. Rooney might well make a brilliant manager one day, I am just not sure I want us to be the canary down the mine on this one with us bottom of the league.

We've all said at some point in recent years we need to stop chopping and changing managers so quickly, give them a chance and commit to a long term vision (i.e. the youth set-up). Cocu had a decent crack at it and it failed. For me I'd like to see the next long(ish)-term manager(s) come in with the intent to carry on the youth vision rather than have a style and personnel u-turn again. Rooney's had a decent chance to look at everyone in and around the club so while not my first choice, he might not be a bad shout right now.

Tomorrow’s game is huge and yet we are talking about what was said in the press conference.

Any managerial talk should have been concluded quickly and the focus should have been about the game. I don’t think there is much coming from the club to suggest that.

18 hours ago, Cam the Ram said:

Not a huge fan of the current situation and that press conference has done little to change that.

Liam was a little less direct than Rooney but it sounds like he'd be interested in the job. So these 2 as part of the management team will have to work together for the good of the club whilst competing for the same job. Add to that the fact 1 of them is the captain and it would surely be very difficult and awkward if the other management team members suggested the team was better off with Rooney not in it. If there's a massive upturn in results and performances, who gets the job? Rosenior is more qualified but Rooney is the bigger name.

Things are never straightforward with this club. ?

Exactly, who’s picking the team? Rosenior might, quite rightly, think we are a better team without Rooney but Rooney’s unlikely to agree. So then what?

Imagine if we don't see an immediate upturn in results over the next 3 games. Then we're in a position to have to tell Rooney that he's not good enough & demote him back down to the coaching staff. Now a new manager has to come in knowing that within his ranks is a high profile player, unmotivated to play, probably plotting against him - and contractually obliged to be picked. Impossible situation for the new manager. 

Let's hope Rooney is as good as he thinks he can be!

33 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Whilst obviously happy with the results my worry would be that we have had some sort of 'new manager bounce' and that three games isn't really enough of a sample size to take such a punt. Rooney might well make a brilliant manager one day, I am just not sure I want us to be the canary down the mine on this one with us bottom of the league.

It's often said as well that caretakers who come in often know what was wrong with the team before and have an idea to fix that, on top of usually the players trying a bit harder because they want to be in the new and plans gets a few results but doesn't really indicate how it'll go over a longer time.

15 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Rooney will get his way. 

I would be surprised if Rooney picks himself. 

If he really has aspirations to be full-time manager, he should start on the sidelines as a declaration of intent. 

Being player-manager might look like hedging your bets. 

10 hours ago, i-Ram said:

I have no great problem with Rooney taking the wheel. Inexperienced he may be, but i think he has something that will spark and galvanise our youngsters and we could have some exciting times to look forward to on the field of play.

They wanted to play for Lampard, they will want to play for Rooney

1 minute ago, Rammy03 said:

They wanted to play for Lampard, they will want to play for Rooney

Perhaps, but 1) they are completely different characters, 2) they had no preconceived view of Lampard, and 3) Rowett thought a youngster was 28. We don’t really know whether Rooney is a problem for the players and staff do we? 

Rooney was told how to play and we was playing slow tippy tap football which doesn't suit him and a lot of the players we have, this is blindingly obvious as we are bottom. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating and we will see tomorrow what's changed.

If we start playing fast attacking football, Rooney will be the best player in this league as he has the thought process and the ability to play fast football.

People who are slagging him off for saying what he did are not mentioning what Davies said in his interview which was basically what Rooney said regards Training. Why isn't he getting the same stick as Rooney?.

All he said was we are bottom, obviously something has to change. it's bloody obvious something wasn't right but he needs to keep his mouth shut to appease all you delicate sorts. 

He's a massively ambitious man, at the top of his profession and want's to be a manager, the slot is now open so why the hell shouldn't he put himself in the spotlight?

R&R was part of the setup but had no influence on what cocu wanted to do regards tempo, tactics and philosophy.

It's not nice as cocu is obviously a great guy, but you can immediately see the difference in the body language and the smiles on the faces of the players in training.

I think they could work brilliantly together imo, Liam didn't seem as keen about the job as rooney but you can see a bit of chemistry building between the two.

Archived