Rooney: "A change was needed"

Bubbles

3 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Managers who put themselves and their reputations above the interests of the club and the team more often than not don't end up as winners. I can't speak for what others think but if he'd have just kept it at the fact he had a lot to thank Phil for, wishes him the best and it's not for him to speak about the vacant post i'd have been fine with that. 

Everton and primarily Man Utd where despite being the top scorer in the club's history is not spoken of in the same affectionate way as other big players during that time. Often times agitating for a move and from what I can gather causing issues behind the scenes when not getting his way. 

I'm not sure I'm quite with you, in order to be a good manager you need to build your reputation, he is acting in the interests of the club, they come hand in hand.

I can say he was and is loved at the club, I don't suppose you went to the game we last played them recently for example ? I was expecting a long list to be honest, throughout his career he has asked for one move, was at United for how long ? 

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Not sure I agree with that. Success is relative.

Rooney is clearly a natural talent. It seems he combined that talent with hard work to make it as an elite footballer.

Liam Rosenior, Martyn Waghorn, etc, have been far more successful in life than the average person. I imagine they got where they were/are by working hard day in day out to carve a career in their dream profession. As a result, they’ve probably reached their natural ceiling which, to me, is success.

Yes I agree that it’s relative and of course they have achieved their level. You could say all professional players are successful but I think we would agree that we hope to achieve a higher level than they have reached so far. 

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Would be a bit odd if either Rosenior or Rooney said they didn't want a managerial role given their current careers.

I think it's fine for them to want to be manager at this stage (but i would never give them the job) but i don't think the statement is particularly appropriate. 

4 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

I'm not sure I'm quite with you, in order to be a good manager you need to build your reputation, he is acting in the interests of the club, they come hand in hand.

I can say he was and is loved at the club, I don't suppose you went to the game we last played them recently for example ? I was expecting a long list to be honest, throughout his career he has asked for one move, was at United for how long ? 

Actually, he's putting his own ambitious desire to be a manager above the club's interest in not being pressured to make an appointment in the media.  You've got it the wrong way around- you build your reputation by being a good manager. 

It's just anecdotal but from the man utd fans who i know and I've seen a lot of people say the same thing, 'wazza' is not spoken of in the same kinds of uber affectionate tones as the other major players from the late 90's/noughties. It's well known the kinds of issues he created in the club when he wasn't getting his way. 

36 minutes ago, David said:

Sheff Wed have just appointed a dinosaur, sorry I mean manager, Boro have one as well sat in 7th whilst Swansea are sitting pretty in 6th so I would guess none, but not sure what point that would prove. 

Would any of them swap for say Paul Cook for example?

I thought you suggested it was a positive that two well respected figures were sorta vying for the role... I'm saying fans of similar clubs wouldn't touch either of them with a barge pole as manager. 

I can easily see a way we get lumbered with one of them (Rooney clear favourite) and that concerns me. 

6 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Actually, he's putting his own ambitious desire to be a manager above the club's interest in not being pressured to make an appointment in the media.  You've got it the wrong way around- you build your reputation by being a good manager. 

It's just anecdotal but from the man utd fans who i know and I've seen a lot of people say the same thing, 'wazza' is not spoken of in the same kinds of uber affectionate tones as the other major players from the late 90's/noughties. It's well known the kinds of issues he created in the club when he wasn't getting his way. 

As I said they come hand on hand, the only way to become a good manager is by winning games. Out of interest which manager would you want going forward ?

EVERY United fan I know love him, maybe it's a regional thing. I don't know the issues he created, what were they ?

24 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What do they say when asked then?

it's quite simple- say he doesn't feel like it's his place to speculate and that it's in the hands of the owners who they want to appoint. That he's just focused on this weeks game and nothing else. 

7 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

it's quite simple- say he doesn't feel like it's his place to speculate and that it's in the hands of the owners who they want to appoint. That he's just focused on this weeks game and nothing else. 

And the fans retort with ... 'but we know he's here to be a coach whilst working towards being a manager, he's lying'!

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

And the fans retort with ... 'but we know he's here to be a coach whilst working towards being a manager, he's lying'!

If the fans reacted like that then that's the fans issue but it doesn't mean that's not what he should have said. Rooney isn't an idiot- he'll know that by giving the answer he gave it just ups the anti in the media for those who want to see him in charge. He shouldn't have said what he said. 

Read the thread and was a little wary of the current management set up. Watched the interview and am now excited to see what these two (plus JW and SG) can do over the rest of the month.

Both of them spoke well and came across as authentic. That’s what I want from any leader. I don’t have to agree with what they say all of the time but for my support to be given fully I want them to be smart, honest, inspiring and genuine. In my opinion they were. Doesn’t guarantee a win on Saturday but I have a feeling that we’ll show more of our attacking potential and hopefully the substitutions will clearly support what we are trying to achieve at that point in the game. 

DTID

My question would be what are yous lot gonna do if we win the next 3 whilst playing really well?

Rooney really is in a position where he can’t win, he states the obvious and gets slated for it- for a quote that was take out of context anyway. 

If they do well I wouldn’t mind seeing a Rooney manager Rosenior assistant combination. 

Not been happy with Rooney of late, on or off the pitch. But it seems like it’s his job now, if he can deliver some reasonable performances and a few points over the next 3 games.

I didn’t see two people pitching for the Manager’s job today. Rosenior was more reserved, in fact it actually struck me that he didn’t want the job. Perhaps he thinks that for now the no.2 role will suit his development. If Rooney continues to play this season Rosenior will get a lot more experience being on the touchline and in front of the cameras without the gamble of taking on a lead role that could finish him career wise if it all goes tits up.

Rooney, if nothing else is gutsy and a winner. He wants the job, he showed it today, and if he gets it I think he will give it his very best effort because he really wants it. He wants to win things, he wants to stay in the game, he wants to maintain his image, and no doubt he will want to emulate the achievements of Lampard and Gerrard.

Personally I’m too old in the tooth to worry about the fact we have become a circus. We were a circus long before Rooney arrived, but a significant number of fans haven’t been able to see it. Morris stepping away will be helpful to putting a lot of that right.
I am repeating what I said a few nights ago, but if he has the dressing room behind him (particularly Davies, Marshall and Waghorn), and also the buy-in of Wassall, Rosenior, Given, and the other guys in the training team, I have no great problem with Rooney taking the wheel. Inexperienced he may be, but i think he has something that will spark and galvanise our youngsters and we could have some exciting times to look forward to on the field of play.

5 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Not been happy with Rooney of late, on or off the pitch. But it seems like it’s his job now, if he can deliver some reasonable performances and a few points over the next 3 games.

I didn’t see two people pitching for the Manager’s job today. Rosenior was more reserved, in fact it actually struck me that he didn’t want the job. Perhaps he thinks that for now the no.2 role will suit his development. If Rooney continues to play this season Rosenior will get a lot more experience being on the touchline and in front of the cameras without the gamble of taking on a lead role that could finish him career wise if it all goes tits up.

Rooney, if nothing else is gutsy and a winner. He wants the job, he showed it today, and if he gets it I think he will give it his very best effort because he really wants it. He wants to win things, he wants to stay in the game, he wants to maintain his image, and no doubt he will want to emulate the achievements of Lampard and Gerrard.

Personally I’m too old in the tooth to worry about the fact we have become a circus. We were a circus long before Rooney arrived, but a significant number of fans haven’t been able to see it. Morris stepping away will be helpful to putting a lot of that right.
I am repeating what I said a few nights ago, but if he has the dressing room behind him (particularly Davies, Marshall and Waghorn), and also the buy-in of Wassall, Rosenior, Given, and the other guys in the training team, I have no great problem with Rooney taking the wheel. Inexperienced he may be, but i think he has something that will spark and galvanise our youngsters and we could have some exciting times to look forward to on the field of play.

He was very focused on the "if you're the right man for the job" vibe, rather than just saying the right things.

9 hours ago, Bubbles said:

Rooney's first comment in the press conference is "I think the change was needed".

To me this comes across a bit shady? Cocu gave him his first managerial gig, and ultimately Rooney is responsible aswell as Cocu, but it seems to me that he isn't taking responsibility for that...

Said what most fans have been saying so truthful!

9 minutes ago, JustOneChrissyMartin said:

My question would be what are yous lot gonna do if we win the next 3 whilst playing really well?

Rooney really is in a position where he can’t win, he states the obvious and gets slated for it- for a quote that was take out of context anyway. 

If they do well I wouldn’t mind seeing a Rooney manager Rosenior assistant combination. 

It will bring more questions than answers.

Everyone knows I didn’t think Cocu was the right man for the job, but there’s a growing sense of disappointment that he was seemingly outmanoeuvred by the very people who should have been with him every step of the way and doing everything in their power to make his time at the club a success. The guilt is written all over Rosenior’s face.

Rooney and Rosenior obviously come out of this unscathed because they are ‘Mel Morris guys’ unlike Twan and Chris who are obviously loyal to Cocu, but I worry that yet again Mel is putting his trust and faith in the wrong people a la the Sam Rush case.

I just don’t feel comfortable with either Rooney or Rosenior profiting from Cocu’s downfall, when for me they are and were very much part of the problem as they were key figures in the coaching and management set up. They all should have gone.

Archived