Rooney: "A change was needed"

Bubbles

1 minute ago, DC-1975 said:

Hasn’t football become almost reality tv? Amazon or Netflix documentaries, 24 hour sports (mainly football) news programs and radio stations desperate for things to talk about, especially during international break. 

The comment ‘a change was needed’ could mean anything, not necessarily a dig at Cocu. Only Rooney knows exactly what he meant. It’s only spread due to being picked up on social media and the fact he’s famous 

I haven't mentioned that comment, so not sure why you've bought it up in response?

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, David said:

Just watched 2 guys, respected in football go head to head for the job at this club, if we were a laughing stock, I very much doubt they would be interested.

As you say though, we’ll just have to disagree. 

How many Sheff Wed, Boro...Swansea fans do you think would be looking enviously and wanting Liam Resenior as their manager or desperate for Rooney to be taking over as player manager? 

Rooney the player seemed exciting but has been a bit of a disappointment...as Manager I'm really struggling to get behind it. 2 or 3 games bounce and the results go ok, he will get the job...and we will be lumbered Ole Gunnar Solksjaer style with a manager out of his depth. 

4 minutes ago, Rev said:

Yes I've seen it, and it's weird.

The only parallel I can draw is when Liverpool appointed joint managers, which soon went tits up.

I assume they put both up because one has a chance of playing Saturday while the other is guaranteed to be on the touchline, but it's not a great look either way. 

I can't recall a manager leaving under Mel's tenure without some sort of video message/interview from the owner either. 

Seeing as everyone is reduced to internet meetings at the moment, self isolation isn't an excuse. 

I didn’t see it as weird tbh, sounded worse on social media but then this wasn’t the actual press conference, maybe that was. 

None of the Nationals have ran any headlines mocking the situation or hinting towards any awkwardness.

As for Mel, lose/lose situation really, one minute fans want to hear from him, the next they don’t and usher him into the background away from the spotlight.

With the takeover, EFL appeal, new manager search I would imagine he sees his priorities being elsewhere, which given the demands for announcements is probably fair.

Would also imagine there will be a big one in the pipeline with the new owners and himself if he’s staying around, which looks likely given the recent reports. 

I’m sure it will cover Cocu, the clubs vision, why now etc. And I can guarantee you right now some will sneer and call it PR guff when it comes out.

1 minute ago, DC-1975 said:

Wasn’t the comment made in the ‘job interview’ press conference you mention.

Apologies if I miss understood 

I've not mentioned it personally, but the thread title is that.

I should pay more attention to the thread title I'm posting in, to save confusion!

Just now, David said:

Longest serving manager in the Championship only has 2 full seasons under his belt. Cocu was 6th (I think) longest serving before he left, worrying a manager might leave after 12 months isn’t really worth it. Chances are after 6 months some fans will be calling for whoever it is to be sacked anyway.

If you offered me an entertaining season with a Wembley trip at the end of it, but the manager will leave after, I’d snap your hand off.

Lampard may have left after a season, but he left many memories that will stay with us for a long time.

Thats fair enough. Personally I want a Sean Dyche/Eddie Howe/Chris Wilder type journey where we develop under the radar, go up and stay up. 

Must confess to not enjoying managerial uncertainty as always have equated stability with success. That plus the takeover saga is pecking my head a bit. Going to take @jono advice & focus on the footy, hopefully starting with 3 points Sat.

COYR

7 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

How many Sheff Wed, Boro...Swansea fans do you think would be looking enviously and wanting Liam Resenior as their manager or desperate for Rooney to be taking over as player manager? 

Rooney the player seemed exciting but has been a bit of a disappointment...as Manager I'm really struggling to get behind it. 2 or 3 games bounce and the results go ok, he will get the job...and we will be lumbered Ole Gunnar Solksjaer style with a manager out of his depth. 

Sheff Wed have just appointed a dinosaur, sorry I mean manager, Boro have one as well sat in 7th whilst Swansea are sitting pretty in 6th so I would guess none, but not sure what point that would prove. 

Would any of them swap for say Paul Cook for example?

1 hour ago, David said:

I’m on social media, I don’t see it other than Forest and Leeds fans then that troll at the Daily Mail.

Not once have I ever seen or heard us referred to as a celebrity club. Even my mates up here who support a mixture of clubs and love the banter haven’t said a word. 

The last random fan I spoke to was in All Saints in Meadowhall, Sheffield United fan he was that noticed the tattoo on my hand. Asked how Rooney was getting on, some signing that is he went on.

I bet if you went on every clubs football forum, there would be a topic on us on maybe a handful at most. 

Just watched 2 guys, respected in football go head to head for the job at this club, if we were a laughing stock, I very much doubt they would be interested.

As you say though, we’ll just have to disagree. 

The TWO have never managed before though and looking to start at a fairly decent level in Derby

9 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

I don't know about Rosenoir's career so can't comment if it's a consistent pattern with him. He shouldn't have said it either. 

Would be a bit odd if either Rosenior or Rooney said they didn't want a managerial role given their current careers.

8 minutes ago, David said:

Sheff Wed have just appointed a dinosaur, sorry I mean manager, Boro have one as well sat in 7th whilst Swansea are sitting pretty in 6th so I would guess none, but not sure what point that would prove. 

Would any of them swap for say Paul Cook for example?

Pullis more likely to keep Sheff Wed  up than many managers.

What’s emerged in my opinion is a microcosm of football’s culture war. Until Cocu was sacked, we had the opposing sides in the same coaching team.

Cocu wants you to decant the 2015 Rioja Reserva, sample the cheeseboard while you’re here, and take a seat and watch the clip about what Barnsley’s 4th choice left back is going to do if the wind blows north west on a Tuesday. And he’d love to hear your opinion seeing as you’ve sat down.

Rooney’s first statement was about simplicity. Meant and potatoes for tea, then it’s pudding in front of the tele with Strictly on, maybe X Factor for the kids. Four at the back and Curtiss Davies served with microwaved chips.

Rooney was brought in as a coach, but I suspect he never bought in as a coach. Cocu’s football culture isn’t where he’s at.

1 hour ago, BIllyD said:

Winners put themselves first, which is why he is England's all time greatest goal scorer, has a cabinet full of trophies and millions tucked away in the bank. Let's face it, no matter what Rooney said it wouldn't have been right for some, yet he wins a few games and suddenly he becomes the messiah again he was when he joined.

As a matter of interest though, when did you think he showed lack of loyalty, leaving Everton I'm guessing and ?

Managers who put themselves and their reputations above the interests of the club and the team more often than not don't end up as winners. I can't speak for what others think but if he'd have just kept it at the fact he had a lot to thank Phil for, wishes him the best and it's not for him to speak about the vacant post i'd have been fine with that. 

Everton and primarily Man Utd where despite being the top scorer in the club's history is not spoken of in the same affectionate way as other big players during that time. Often times agitating for a move and from what I can gather causing issues behind the scenes when not getting his way. 

I’m just wondering how many of you have ever disagreed with your Manager in the last, yet still gone ahead and carried out their instructions? You probably even aires your doubts, but at the end of the day it’s your Manager that’s accountable. 

Now, I wonder whether Wayne Rooney or Liam Rosenior did the same? Maybe they raised concerns there was to much chopping and changing. Maybe they said the football was over complicated. 

The fact is, none of us really know. Maybe give them a chance eh?

1 minute ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Thats fair enough. Personally I want a Sean Dyche/Eddie Howe/Chris Wilder type journey where we develop under the radar, go up and stay up. 

Must confess to not enjoying managerial uncertainty as always have equated stability with success. That plus the takeover saga is pecking my head a bit. Going to take @jono advice & focus on the footy, hopefully starting with 3 points Sat.

COYR

2 of the 3 you mention only spent a year in the Championship, promoted straight away, Howe managed it in his second season. 

McClaren, Rowett, Lampard all came close to doing similar. 

Would they have all stayed had we gone up, done a Dyche? We’ll never know the answer I guess. 

We’re not in League 1 for that epic journey to the PL, we’re already here, big expectations, money spent, I would be surprised if we see any manager stay longer than 2 seasons regardless of who the owner is

6 hours ago, mwram1973 said:

No at all imo, he's suggesting that cocu was over complicating things, constantly changing things, we saw that with his team selections. Why is it we always have to have a scapegoat. Rooney's always said he wants to manage, what's wrong with that.

Well there's nothing wrong with him (Rooney) wanting to be a manager. I wish him well in that, but our situation is dire, and now is not the time at DCFC for a wannabe manager to test the water.  

1 minute ago, EnigmaRam said:

I’m just wondering how many of you have ever disagreed with your Manager in the last, yet still gone ahead and carried out their instructions? You probably even aires your doubts, but at the end of the day it’s your Manager that’s accountable. 

Now, I wonder whether Wayne Rooney or Liam Rosenior did the same? Maybe they raised concerns there was to much chopping and changing. Maybe they said the football was over complicated. 

The fact is, none of us really know. Maybe give them a chance eh?

Absolutely, well put @EnigmaRam

Its about time we got behind the club, I for my part am not keen on the current managerial setup, however we need to give them all a chance as things can only get better. 
UP THE RAMS ????

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah lets hope it's top of the league where Rooney is - he's a winner!

Absolutely. As was Cocu, as a player and a manager - in very different leagues!

The hope is that Rooney would be as successful as Cocu in Holland and Spain, but the opposite in England’s second tier.

Fingers crossed. Whatever works!

Archived