Rooney: "A change was needed"

Bubbles

54 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

It does not sit well with me that he's essentially stuck the boot in on a departed manager whilst simultaneously basically saying he wants the job as he's ambitious. He may well think that the manager made it too complicated but he did not need to say it was time for Cocu to go as the people who need to know his thoughts (playing staff and ownership) will be well aware of what he thinks. Sums up a consistent issue in his career which is a lack of actual loyalty and putting himself first.  

Winners put themselves first, which is why he is England's all time greatest goal scorer, has a cabinet full of trophies and millions tucked away in the bank. Let's face it, no matter what Rooney said it wouldn't have been right for some, yet he wins a few games and suddenly he becomes the messiah again he was when he joined.

As a matter of interest though, when did you think he showed lack of loyalty, leaving Everton I'm guessing and ?

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

Watching the pre-match interviews just reaffirms to me that the club needs a complete shake up.

You can definitely tell something unsavoury has gone on behind the scenes.

Look at how uncomfortable and agitated Rosenior comes across. When he is not answering questions, he is squirming. It is very noticeable and uncharacteristic of him. 

Clear the decks for me. I don’t mind people having ambition, wanting to get ahead, trying to progress to the best job possible, but at what cost?

Unlike in other industries where it might be OK to have staff all gunning for the same job, this situation is different. Where the coaching and management staff are concerned, I think you need a united front and everyone pulling in the same direction.

It’s understandable that Rooney and Rosenior would have their eyes on the job, but it does make me wonder how much of a contributing factor it had to Cocu’s demise and if it will have a destabilising effect moving forward.

Let’s see how it goes on Saturday, but I am not hopeful.

ABSOLUTELY ?

The club stinks at the minute

It amazes me this club, it really does at times.

That felt like a free for all job application today the press conference. I’m done to death the headlines around Derby County.

We are a laughing stock currently from anyone looking from the outside. The only bit of consistency we have had is to make headlines for all the wrong reasons recently.

I’m not fussed about watching them having a bit of a laugh at training, I’m not fussed about whose representing the club in internationals, most of all and sadly, I’m not fussed if we get tonked or win on Saturday.

I think in all my time as an adult being a Derby fan, this is the lowest I’ve felt about the club. I feel a disconnect like never before. 

We are now entrusting the club potentially to new owners we don’t know a jot about, hoping we will come good and it’ll be all alright. 

There is delusions of grandeur in this once decent club, I feel we are at a rock bottom in our history since the 3 Amigos. I just hope we can get our Pride back.

I could say loads more but I don’t want to put the mockers on this forum. Obviously I’m only talking for myself, but that’s how I feel and the direction we are going is only one way currently.

4 hours ago, Ambitious said:

It doesn't sit well with me. I found the articles surrounding Rooney eventually replacing Cocu distasteful and the one with John Gregory (who shares the same agent as Rooney) struck me as a power play at the time. 

He's probably right. Rooney will have a very good idea of how top class managers conduct themselves and perhaps he's not been impressed. it's fair enough. I just would've rather him keep his trap shut, because this fuels the fire that some players downed tools somewhat. 

Surprised Gregory needs an agent with his lack of work (that I am aware of)

3 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

It amazes me this club, it really does at times.

That felt like a free for all job application today the press conference. I’m done to death the headlines around Derby County.

We are a laughing stock currently from anyone looking from the outside. The only bit of consistency we have had is to make headlines for all the wrong reasons recently.

I’m not fussed about watching them having a bit of a laugh at training, I’m not fussed about whose representing the club in internationals, most of all and sadly, I’m not fussed if we get tonked or win on Saturday.

I think in all my time as an adult being a Derby fan, this is the lowest I’ve felt about the club. I feel a disconnect like never before. 

We are now entrusting the club potentially to new owners we don’t know a jot about, hoping we will come good and it’ll be all alright. 

There is delusions of grandeur in this once decent club, I feel we are at a rock bottom in our history since the 3 Amigos. I just hope we can get our Pride back.

I could say loads more but I don’t want to put the mockers on this forum. Obviously I’m only talking for myself, but that’s how I feel and the direction we are going is only one way currently.

We need to remove the celebrity element from the club. It is nice being high profile but it distracts everybody from the football.

We have been sleep walking into the situation we are in for a long while now, and another celebrity manager will just do the same. 

Go back to basics, football is about results! Hire the sensible manager that will get it done.

5 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Watching the pre-match interviews just reaffirms to me that the club needs a complete shake up.

You can definitely tell something unsavoury has gone on behind the scenes.

Look at how uncomfortable and agitated Rosenior comes across. When he is not answering questions, he is squirming. It is very noticeable and uncharacteristic of him. 

Clear the decks for me. I don’t mind people having ambition, wanting to get ahead, trying to progress to the best job possible, but at what cost?

Unlike in other industries where it might be OK to have staff all gunning for the same job, this situation is different. Where the coaching and management staff are concerned, I think you need a united front and everyone pulling in the same direction.

It’s understandable that Rooney and Rosenior would have their eyes on the job, but it does make me wonder how much of a contributing factor it had to Cocu’s demise and if it will have a destabilising effect moving forward.

Let’s see how it goes on Saturday, but I am not hopeful.

If Rooney had shown this motivation in his playing and leadership on the pitch since lockdown we wouldn't be in such a mess. 

Poor.

10 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

We are a laughing stock currently from anyone looking from the outside.

We’re really not though are we, you talk of delusions of grandeur later in your post but come out with this yourself.

Forest and Leeds fans might be laughing, same way we laugh at them, that’s rivalry for you.

But find me a Burnley, Gillingham, Southend United, fan that’s laughing at us. Sorry Bob, but the laughter is mostly in your head as that’s what you want to believe is going on but it’s really not.

We’re really not that big to be on everyone’s radar.

Rooney "...and the lads earning the right to wear the shirt."

Rosenior laughing with Rooney when he said "...the lads are ready to play, me too"

and replying "If we pick you"

Rooney retorts "Better not drop me mate, but..."

Said that some players levels of performance in training had increased (with the prospect of clean sheet for all)

"You have to fight for your shirt and you have to perform in training"

"For the fans, we know we haven't started the season well, we're all responsible for that, but sometimes a change can give everyone a lift...we're doing everything in our powers to give the fans a lift." Playing the right way to individual and team qualities.

6 minutes ago, David said:

We’re really not though are we, you talk of delusions of grandeur later in your post but come out with this yourself.

Forest and Leeds fans might be laughing, same way we laugh at them, that’s rivalry for you.

But find me a Burnley, Gillingham, Southend United, fan that’s laughing at us. Sorry Bob, but the laughter is mostly in your head as that’s what you want to believe is going on but it’s really not.

We will disagree. The last two years have been a shambles at this club, we are not a well liked club anymore. The headlines have said it all, other fans can’t wait for us to fail. We’ve sailed close to the wind on so many things.

You can see on social media and the people I see when I’m around the country and what they say when I’m a Derby fan, they laugh and say we are like a celebrity club, always asking what’s going on there..... not about what’s on the pitch. So I’ll quite happily disregard “it in my head” jibe.

Been trying to pin down exactly what bothered me so much about that interview earlier, and it comes down to this:

Since the first day Wayne walked through the door, I have had this horrible, itching feeling that his arrival undermined the manager. That he was not a Cocu signing, and instead an "opportunity" for the club to potentially make more money by bringing in a big name.

Alongside that, comes the feeling that, in order to tempt him away from the money of America, he has also been promised so level of opportunity to follow in the footsteps of Gerrard and Lampard (as Rooney himself is quoted today) by going into management. A "manager in waiting." The next Derby manager to be.

Now, imagine what that would be like as a manager, to have that sort of reputation, expectation and character walk into your dressing room. How would you even go about managing that? For a start, they're the biggest name in English football, a media magnet, and to add to that...they're in line for your job.

That, for me, is a disaster waiting to happen.

And now that Cocu goes, Rooney comes out with a comment that not only sticks the knife in to his former colleague, but makes the coach sat next to him (someone Cocu also trusted) squirm. 

Today turned those fears into something of a reality today. I fear that there is not going to be a manager search. That we are instead looking at something of a coronation, and that over the next few weeks, we are going to be force-fed as much Pro-Rooney press as we can stomach. I, for one, already feel queasy.

If you like the idea of Rooney being our next manager, or quite rightfully just want to give him a chance: good for you. I totally see where you're coming from and respect you for it. You're being a good supporter.

But I can't support this at the moment. It all feels a bit Shakespearian. A bit too close to MacBeth. I don't like it at all and, over the last few years, I really don't like the direction this club has been dragged. Bottom of the league. Unpopular. Rulebreaking. Controversial. 

1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

And now that Cocu goes, Rooney comes out with a comment that not only sticks the knife in to his former colleague, but makes the coach sat next to him (someone Cocu also trusted) squirm. 

Didn't see that at all.

1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

I have had this horrible, itching feeling...

You can get cream for that!

7 minutes ago, wollatonram said:

We need to remove the celebrity element from the club. It is nice being high profile but it distracts everybody from the football.

We have been sleep walking into the situation we are in for a long while now, and another celebrity manager will just do the same. 

Go back to basics, football is about results! Hire the sensible manager that will get it done.

Didn’t we do that with Pearson?

Agreed about the celebrity element though, which is why I thought Cocu brought a nice balance: great player, high profile, but quiet, understated with a focus on bringing through players from the academy. Everything about it felt right, unfortunately the football and ultimately the results were lacking.

It’d be nice if we hired someone who didn’t completely abandon our policy of utilising the academy, because it’s one of few the things we should all be proud of. Personally I think our squad, as it is, is more than good enough to finish the season mid-table, without performing exceptionally well. We still have to hire for the long term, that should always be the goal - Allardyce, McClaren etc. aren’t appointments for the long term... in my worthless opinion. 

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Nine pages already about this, I knew it would be controversial.

But this: 

"What we need to bring back for the players is simplicity. You can over complicate things at times. Different messages, different teams, different line ups - it's not always good for players."

Been saying that for a while so how can I disagree with a man who agrees with me? 

I am waiting to see what we look like on the pitch before passing judgement.

I think a few on here have magically not heard our wonderful Wayne Rooney say in this interview the bit where he says "we haven't started well and we are all responsible for that" before passing judgement once again.

The boo boys booing before these guys have even started to coach / manage for a few games or maybe more.

Support your club, support your players, support your coaches, support your team.

I love Derby County Football Club.

4 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I've just watched the DCFC interview which starts with Rosenoir and I thought he looked and sounded very keen to do the job. Describing how Mel had been in touch with all four of them on the Sunday. He seemed well up for it.

41 minutes ago, wollatonram said:

Now is not the time to risk things going belly up. 

You can be a good manager but not have the experience or know how to manage players or turn teams around in a slump. It's a completely different skillset. It is why there is so many firefighter managers around like Pulis / Allardyce.

The next appointment should be a low risk appointment, a safe pair of hands that has been there and done it before.

What, like Pearson, you mean? Look how that turned out.

Just now, Mafiabob said:

We will disagree. The last two years have been a shambles at this club, we are not a well liked club anymore. The headlines have said it all, other fans can’t wait for us to fail. We’ve sailed close to the wind on so many things.

You can see on social media and I he people I see when I’m around the country and what they say when I’m a Derby fan, they laugh and say we are like a celebrity club, always asking what’s going on there..... not about what’s on the pitch. So I’ll quite happily disregard “it in my head” jibe.

I’m on social media, I don’t see it other than Forest and Leeds fans then that troll at the Daily Mail.

Not once have I ever seen or heard us referred to as a celebrity club. Even my mates up here who support a mixture of clubs and love the banter haven’t said a word. 

The last random fan I spoke to was in All Saints in Meadowhall, Sheffield United fan he was that noticed the tattoo on my hand. Asked how Rooney was getting on, some signing that is he went on.

I bet if you went on every clubs football forum, there would be a topic on us on maybe a handful at most. 

Just watched 2 guys, respected in football go head to head for the job at this club, if we were a laughing stock, I very much doubt they would be interested.

As you say though, we’ll just have to disagree. 

2 minutes ago, David said:

I’m on social media, I don’t see it other than Forest and Leeds fans then that troll at the Daily Mail.

Not once have I ever seen or heard us referred to as a celebrity club. Even my mates up here who support a mixture of clubs and love the banter haven’t said a word. 

The last random fan I spoke to was in All Saints in Meadowhall, Sheffield United fan he was that noticed the tattoo on my hand. Asked how Rooney was getting on, some signing that is he went on.

I bet if you went on every clubs football forum, there would be a topic on us on maybe a handful at most. 

Just watched 2 guys, respected in football go head to head for the job at this club, if we were a laughing stock, I very much doubt they would be interested.

As you say though, we’ll just have to disagree. 

We’ve had more club statements than away wins in the last two years..... we are more well known for what’s gone on off the pitch.

Now we are where we deserve to be. @Nuwtflyputs it more eloquently than me.

Facts are we need to act for the good of the club and fast, because it’s sad for me watching us where we are.

1 hour ago, David said:

Let’s be honest, the server wouldn’t cope for the first hour after the final whistle. 

I can actually contact the host a couple of times a year, tell them some big even is coming, lift all server restrictions and give me unlimited everything.

I’m so tempted to put a request in for Saturday 

If I could make a suggestion that you do the opposite........?

If we win then half the members will be beating the rest up - 'I told you so', 'Wazza for king', 'championes' etc etc.  It'll be unpleasant.

If we lose then "Rooney's a snake/incompetent/as useless as my granny and she's been dead 10 years". It'll be unpleasant.

The solution is a server refresh/total shutdown from 3pm Saturday to 10am Monday.  Let everyone sort out the performance in their own minds, drink any angst (or pleasure) away and get some perspective into their lives. 

1 minute ago, Mafiabob said:

We’ve had more club statements than away wins in the last two years..... we are more well known for what’s gone on off the pitch.

Now we are where we deserve to be. @Nuwtflyputs it more eloquently than me.

Facts are we need to act for the good of the club and fast, because it’s sad for me watching us where we are.

A stat that was doing the rounds on Twitter today which started from a Derby fan. 

Survey 1000 football fans and a large percentage wouldn’t have a clue.

You can be unhappy with the club without labelling us a laughing stock from the outside. I mean there is no mention of anything related to us in the top 30 trends on Twitter today despite Rooney’s press conference. 

Sky Sports tweet full of United fans wishing him luck, calling him a legend, similar scenes when Lampard took over with Chelsea fans.

Archived