Ian Skye Radio Derby

JG400

On 27/01/2021 at 09:49, Mostyn6 said:

It’s an absolute junk radio station anyway. Why anyone would listen, except for DCFC coverage is beyond me. I used to be forced to listen as punishment for getting involved in car share to work! I shudder just thinking about the dull conservative cringefest trying to be relevant and humorous, and failing badly. 

Out of interest.....what radio stations do you listen to

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 27/01/2021 at 04:49, Mostyn6 said:

It’s an absolute junk radio station anyway. Why anyone would listen, except for DCFC coverage is beyond me. I used to be forced to listen as punishment for getting involved in car share to work! I shudder just thinking about the dull conservative cringefest trying to be relevant and humorous, and failing badly. 

Which is why the plank Dawes fits in so well. 

1 minute ago, ColonelBlimp said:

You really don't know what bad radio is until you've been forced to listen to Southern FM.

Radio Derby is at least 1 step up from that, maybe even 2.

I think it very much depends on when during the day that you listen - though since the re-org when they reduced the number of presenters by extending the time on air for each one, it's got dramtically worse.

If you switch on before 7am, you'll normally hear an 'interview' (in the loosest sense of the word because he has a habit of talking over people and not listening to their answers) by Andy Twigge. He will replay the same interview at least twice during the programme. The same interview will then also be broadcast (sometime numerous times) during both Sally "Screechy Voice" Pepper's programme and also during Steve Jordan's. I can't comment about the evening programme as I refuse to listen to the 12-year-old presenter and his childish 'friends'....If either Pepper or Jordan have somehow managed to find someone interesting to talk to, their interviews will also be repeated the following day.

I honestly reckon there's probably 1-2 hours original broadcasting per day with the rest made up of repeats, the same records being played numerous times and the local news, sport, roads and weather. It's a shame as it used to be a decent station but the quality of the current presenters is just so poor....The only reason we leave it on is the local news (also works as a compromise to stop my wife turning over the Classic FM) - at least it's relatively up to date rather than the DET which can end up reporting things several days after they've happened..

As I don’t live in the radio Derby broadcast area the only time I listened is pre and post match whilst travelling to PP. DCFC coverage I would say was/is good. Reading the more general posts about the quality or lack of it on the station generally this is a pity as local radio is one of the things the BBC did do well and could and should again. Unfortunately it seems the funding situation is beginning to be reflected in output. 

I used to listen to Ian Skye most mornings, but once Andy Twigge took over I just had to leave, he's not funny, he's just so full of himself.

Anyway, as I live in the north of the county I tried Radio Sheffield and it is soooooooo much better, so it did me a favour really.

For anyone interested, it's easily available on Alexa.

It is strange though how Ian suddenly disappeared un announced off air, I do hope he's OK!

Best to you all on this my first post here.

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

Archived