Video: 1st time Wazza takes training @ Moor Farm

Ellafella

4 hours ago, ImARam2 said:

The Mike Basset film brings back memories as I was an extra in the making of the film.

I was on leave in London, and the Radio London announced that they wanted extras at Wembley Stadium (the old one), for the full day, for the crowd scenes.

When we arrived we had to sign a form that we could not claim any royalties from the film before we were shown where to sit in the stadium. There was about 100 people, but with the digital camera work it was shown as a full crowd.

We first shot a scene where Norwich City win the FA Cup and I had to wear a Canary yellow shirt & scarf. Later we were moved to other areas of the stadium to film the England games, and chant, sing, jump up & down, boo and swear at the team and especially at Ricky Tomlinson when he walks back to the dressing rooms. You can clearly see me swearing and giving him the V-sign as he's about to go into the dressing rooms - my 15 seconds of fame!!

We filmed one scene about 15 times, where the England centre-half goes to kick a Polish winger and put him into the side hoardings. As the centre-half slides in, the winger is on a bungy rope so to exaggerate the tackle but the guys on the rope kept pulling too hard and the winger flew about 10 feet in the air everytime. That scene is shown from a distance and I'm on the front row leaping up and cheering and giving the winger some stick.

We got paid £10 each, as well as a brilliant, all you can eat buffet meal.

I sat alongside the actor Phillip Jackson (he played Insp.Japp with David Suchet in the Poirot TV series), for a number of scenes and he told me that although he was born in Nottinghamshire, he was a big Sheffield Utd fan.

Sounds amazing, plus the film is absolutely hilarious!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the end of the film, there are names of 10 extras which took part, which were drawn out of the hat to be included on the end credits.

Unfortunately my name was not included.

Great day and it was interesting to see how the technicians set everything up, but there was also a good deal of waiting around for the actors, i.e. players and managers, to be in their proper places.

3 hours ago, ImARam2 said:

At the end of the film, there are names of 10 extras which took part, which were drawn out of the hat to be included on the end credits.

Unfortunately my name was not included.

Great day and it was interesting to see how the technicians set everything up, but there was also a good deal of waiting around for the actors, i.e. players and managers, to be in their proper places.

Bit harsh they couldn't squeeze all 100 names in there. Although it does give me a good idea about how to pick our next manager.

Archived