Waiting for a new managerial appointment: the worst time for a fan

IslandExile

For me, the worst time being a Derby fan, possibly for fans of other clubs too, is waiting for the appointment of a new manager. I am not filled with hope, anticipation or excitement. It's just dread at the thought of who we might get.

I am usually a pretty optimistic guy so it's not a case of "glass half empty"; it's just this one aspect that really bothers me.

It does not matter whether I am pleased (Davies, Jewell, Pearson, Rowett), disappointed (Burley, Clough, Lampard, Cocu) or gutted (BC) about the manager that has just left. I just want the agony of the new appointment to end and the appointment to be completed as soon as possible. Caretaker managers just prolong the process for me. And, how many times, do we see a caretaker do well, get appointed and then turn out to be a complete disaster (Murphy)?

I think the stress may be getting to others; the forum seems even more fractious than usual (so it was possible). Even laid back me ? has been involved in a spat, that I confess was my fault. I am just so on edge.

Please get the takeover done, appoint a manager, let's just get on with it - let's get back to playing football. COYR ?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there are all sorts of factors influencing fractious behaviour on the forum. Lockdown and COVID-19 in general sets everyone on edge.

The uncertainty associated with health, with jobs and just general wellbeing has changed us all. 

Not being able to watch games in the ground has reduced football to one big game of FIFA and the passion and release football normally provides has been replaced by frustration. 

Whoever takes over is going to have a difficult time before January and I hope that they use this time to experiment to find goalscoring options. 

That surely means playing one or more from the U23s. The first team doesn't have a natural CF, so give the lads a chance. 

5 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

For me, the worst time being a Derby fan, possibly for fans of other clubs too, is waiting for the appointment of a new manager. I am not filled with hope, anticipation or excitement. It's just dread at the thought of who we might get.

I am usually a pretty optimistic guy so it's not a case of "glass half empty"; it's just this one aspect that really bothers me.

It does not matter whether I am pleased (Davies, Jewell, Pearson, Rowett), disappointed (Burley, Clough, Lampard, Cocu) or gutted (BC) about the manager that has just left. I just want the agony of the new appointment to end and the appointment to be completed as soon as possible. Caretaker managers just prolong the process for me. And, how many times, do we see a caretaker do well, get appointed and then turn out to be a complete disaster (Murphy)?

I think the stress may be getting to others; the forum seems even more fractious than usual (so it was possible). Even laid back me ? has been involved in a spat, that I confess was my fault. I am just so on edge.

Please get the takeover done, appoint a manager, let's just get on with it - let's get back to playing football. COYR ?

I hate it. I rarely speculate or offer an opinion on incoming managers because I genuinely believe it is a bit of a lottery.

The margin of what is considered a 'successful' appointment is narrow at most clubs and even narrower at a Championship club with Derby County level of expectations.

Add in the relationship with the group dynamic of the playing squad, which is fragile and ever-changing as players come and go, and it amazes me that we have been so close to getting it right as we have in recent years.

You're right, until it happens - and we see what the result is on the football field - we all ought to try and be kind to each other.

Have to confess, I've had worse times, as a fan.

Finally getting the opportunity to watch us at Wembley, only to see us saunter to a lacklustre defeat was pretty depressing.
Feeling compelled to wear a bright yellow T Shirt at Carrow Road, emblazoned with the words "We'll be back in '81" whilst being pointed and laughed at by the local Norfolk & District Young Farmers Association, was somewhat humiliating.
Sat shivering my tits off watching the mighty Div. 1 Rams succumb to lowly Div. 3 Preston, and thus witnessing first hand my first experience of being on the wrong end of an FA Cup Giant Killing was arguably the lowest individual night of my Rams supporting career (Closely followed by similar at Cambridge, but at least the temperature had improved!)
Having to witness Psycho dancing around the Pride Park pitch in jubilation was particularly galling.

No, I can't say this current situation is ideal of course, but it can be... and is... occasionally a lot worse!

UTR, an' all that.  

I'm pretty laid back about it,  I have faith we will make a decent appointment most of our appointments have been good but haven't always turned out successfull as long as the thinking behind who we appoint is sensible it's then just up to the players and manager to deliver. I'll cut the new guy some slack whoever it is until new signings come in because this team needs a few new players. Obviously after 5 games if we are stil rock bottom and playing bad that won't be great but it is probably going to take either Ibe being fit to play or a couple of new signings to rejuvenate this squad, Waghorn and Lawrence aren't good enough to turn a terrible team around really. 

1 hour ago, IslandExile said:

Is it the ninth manager in seven years. Get used to it all of us. Personally I do not have great hopes of a magic cure. My head says top profile manager. My heart says Paul Cook as the most reliable person around 

Just try and focus on the now. Accept that we have a management team at the moment. Act as if Rosenior and the others are the appointment. Get behind their fresh start as if they’d been announced full time. Focusing on what may happen won’t help you. That’s our management team until someone tells me otherwise. Hopefully the players do the same. You never know, it may work and may not change. 

16 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Have to confess, I've had worse times, as a fan.

Finally getting the opportunity to watch us at Wembley, only to see us saunter to a lacklustre defeat was pretty depressing.
Feeling compelled to wear a bright yellow T Shirt at Carrow Road, emblazoned with the words "We'll be back in '81" whilst being pointed and laughed at by the local Norfolk & District Young Farmers Association, was somewhat humiliating.
Sat shivering my tits off watching the mighty Div. 1 Rams succumb to lowly Div. 3 Preston, and thus witnessing first hand my first experience of being on the wrong end of an FA Cup Giant Killing was arguably the lowest individual night of my Rams supporting career (Closely followed by similar at Cambridge, but at least the temperature had improved!)
Having to witness Psycho dancing around the Pride Park pitch in jubilation was particularly galling.

No, I can't say this current situation is ideal of course, but it can be... and is... occasionally a lot worse!

UTR, an' all that.  

Yeah, I went through those (then) Division 3 days - it was mostly still  fun and was focused on the football.

In any case, that was drawn out 'misery'....waiting for the appointment of a new manager is an intense period of high stress.

For me it's a bit like car replacement time.....ok, the old one was at the point it had to go, can't be backed with new parts anymore, just wasn't working out.

So you look at what's available in your budget, you think about what style you need, hope you can find something powerful and classy, look at a few, now you're most likely going to have to deal with shady agents....there's worry, risk, stress.....and the vast majority of ones you could realistically go for are just ?

But the new one might work out like the Corolla i got for £600 and put nearly 100k on with minimal outlay, but also might be the high hopes passat that had the engine light come on on the way home from the dealer.........

26 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

For me it's a bit like car replacement time.....ok, the old one was at the point it had to go, can't be backed with new parts anymore, just wasn't working out.

So you look at what's available in your budget, you think about what style you need, hope you can find something powerful and classy, look at a few, now you're most likely going to have to deal with shady agents....there's worry, risk, stress.....and the vast majority of ones you could realistically go for are just ?

But the new one might work out like the Corolla i got for £600 and put nearly 100k on with minimal outlay, but also might be the high hopes passat that had the engine light come on on the way home from the dealer.........

Been there too buddy.

BTW Good analogy. TBE = the Corolla. Pearson = the Passat.

Aside: car advice: buy Japanese.

1 hour ago, IslandExile said:

For me currently, the worse part of being a Derby fan is between the hours of 19.45 and 21.45 (Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday evenings). Also, occasionally between 15.00 and 17.00 on a Saturday afternoon. ?

As for stress, it is only football and stressing over it won't change a thing (Awaiting incoming for this one).

Archived