What would McClaren do with this team?

DCFC Kicks

Allardyce going odds on for a short while earlier made me realise my true feelings about wanting Schteeeve back.

He knows the club, has been keeping up with us, could instil much needed confidence in the players, improve them all with his coaching, and get us set up, playing good, attractive, attacking football.

It’s probably just the last remaining parts of my soul clinging on to 2014 but I feel as though we have very similar players to Mac1 and he could get them to fit in well to his beloved 433 (albeit without Martin)

Bring him home... EIEIEIOOOOOOO

10 hours ago, 1967Ram said:

I would love it if McClaren came back but can't see it happening. If he did come back I don't think we'd go down as McClaren IMO 'fits' our club.

McClaren rescued us last time we were in this situation with Pearson.  He was given a target of reaching midtable. He exceeded that target so well people starting hoping for play-offs; and then after hitting a tough patch for a few games was sacked in a Mel Morris temper tantrum.

7 hours ago, Ram of Steel said:

Allardyce going odds on for a short while earlier made me realise my true feelings about wanting Schteeeve back.

He knows the club, has been keeping up with us, could instil much needed confidence in the players, improve them all with his coaching, and get us set up, playing good, attractive, attacking football.

It’s probably just the last remaining parts of my soul clinging on to 2014 but I feel as though we have very similar players to Mac1 and he could get them to fit in well to his beloved 433 (albeit without Martin)

Bring him home... EIEIEIOOOOOOO

It is odd though isnt it how some managers fit certain clubs. Only Derby fans would understand why we would welcome him back. Whoever we have i hope the contract is sensible and cleverly performance related rather than just long so they know they would get a big payoff

Honestly, not much in my opinion. I'm a massive fan of McClaren, but many people massively underestimate the work Clough did in building a talented team with a strong work ethic. In my opinion the current squad pales in comparison to the one Mac inherited in 13/14. A change of manager will almost inevitably improve us, but anyone expecting that alone to turn this squad of overpaid, overhyped misfits into one of the better Championship teams needs a reality check.

BREAKING: Guess who's back? Steve McClaren is back at Derby County as Technical Director & advisor to the new board. The 59 year old has signed a contract for a joint role that will be ratified by Derventio Ltd when their purchase of Derby is completed.

6 minutes ago, Ibby said:

BREAKING: Guess who's back? Steve McClaren is back at Derby County as Technical Director & advisor to the new board. The 59 year old has signed a contract for a joint role that will be ratified by Derventio Ltd when their purchase of Derby is completed.

Its genuine:

https://twitter.com/BBCDerbySport/status/1331198489368334339/photo/1

Edited by Grumpy Git

1 minute ago, Chris_Martin said:

Let's just hope Mac 'advises' the board to put him in charge from now on then we'll see "What would McClaren do with this team?"

I hope he advises the board that the management committee are clearly not functioning or improving results. 

As he's in the club, it's easy to see them asking him to put it right short term, and it's hard to see him saying no to that - he loves being with the players and he has been a brilliant coach, more patchy as manager. I think he Director qualification etc was so he could stay in the game, even if he wasn't going to get management gigs any more. 

40 minutes ago, DC-1975 said:

If we appoint McClaren, I think those calling for Rooney to be dropped will be disappointed. I’d guess that Rooney will be his ‘controller’, as he likes to call it. Eric Steele talks highly of Rooney and I’d suspect McClaren feels the same.

I would also guess that the people calling for JHI or Stretton will also be disappointed as he’ll play Waghorn until January and probably buy/loan an experienced No.9 (Glenn Murray maybe as he’s hardly getting a game at Watford)

He’ll play Lawrence when fit also.

I don't care who plays anymore as long as we start winning. Mac has to step in and takeover from this shambles of a management committee 

• 4 months later...

Change the question to "What would have McClaren done with this team?"

Does anyone actually think we'd be worse off if we had just hired Mac as manager instead of Rooney? I don't.

He probably would have been cheaper and only signed until the end of season unlike Wayne's 2 year deal, we had an instant boost the last 2 times he first joined which I think would have been enough to avoid relegation. 

The only reason we probably went for Rooney was either because Mel didn't want to pay Rooney's playing contract any longer, or Mel had too much pride to hire Mac for a third time.

What is Mac even doing at the moment? The current terrible playing style suggests he's having little involvement with tactics. 

1 minute ago, DCFClks said:

Change the question to "What would have McClaren done with this team?"

Does anyone actually think we'd be worse off if we had just hired Mac as manager instead of Rooney? I don't.

He probably would have been cheaper and only signed until the end of season unlike Wayne's 2 year deal, we had an instant boost the last 2 times he first joined which I think would have been enough to avoid relegation. 

The only reason we probably went for Rooney was either because Mel didn't want to pay Rooney's playing contract any longer, or Mel had too much pride to hire Mac for a third time.

What is Mac even doing at the moment? The current terrible playing style suggests he's having little involvement with tactics. 

McClaren had his time....twice over, its time to move on.

Wazza is the manager, he is the best man for the job and he is doing and will continue to do great.