Manager : If it was your choice who would you have ..?

neil62uk

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Morris, Twan, Des Anderson are the chummy Assistant Managers that put an arm around a player when the manager drops them or tears them off a strip.

They're not necessarily able to step into the more distant role of decision maker, team selector.

That's putting it very simplistically. But look at the example of Clement as someone who could not step up from being a number two.

Paul Clement was definitely a no 2?

On 16/11/2020 at 19:47, ziggyram59 said:

Lee Johnson got good Championship experience and better than the likes of Adkins McDermott etc. 

You are joking aren’t you? Lee Johnson has never managed in the Prem like the other two, nor like them ever managed a team to promotion. He has at best a very average career record winning 140 of 371 games (99 draws and 132 defeats) according to Wiki. The only Bristol Fans you will find who like him are Gasheads.

8 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

You are joking aren’t you? Lee Johnson has never managed in the Prem like the other two, nor like them ever managed a team to promotion. He has at best a very average career record winning 140 of 371 games (99 draws and 132 defeats) according to Wiki. The only Bristol Fans you will find who like him are Gasheads.

His four games he played on loan for us  WAS ENOUGH ?

5 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Think he played in that 1-0 win against Forest to end their 19 game unbeaten run and basically stop them nicking second place.  Suppose that means he's not all bad.

I know he  played four games for us back in 2010 ... Is that the game Rob Hulse scored ..and Jay McCleverley started a hand bags on the touch line that involved players and staff ..and The Poison Dwarf kicked Nigel Clough 

Just now, neil62uk said:

I know he  played four games for us back in 2010 ... Is that the game Rob Hulse scored ..and Jay McCleverley started a hand bags on the touch line that involved players and staff ..and The Poison Dwarf kicked Nigel Clough 

Thats the one.  Think it was Gunter on the touchline. Mceverley kindly game him a face full of Mitre leather from a foot or so distance when he tried to take the ball off him.

6 hours ago, i-Ram said:

So who would you prefer Rooney no managerial experience at all? If your going to have a go at me then at least choose who you prefer as manager then maybe I could comment on that. 

6 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Obviously it was wrong of him (Nigel) to do it. But I never felt particually bad about that one.

Went to a Q & A at the Irish centre with Nigel and he was asked the question did you kick Billy Davies. Nigel’s response: I didn’t “kick” him....(laughter from the room) then he said “Well if you had been left with Claude Davis what would you do?” 

1 hour ago, ziggyram59 said:

So who would you prefer Rooney no managerial experience at all? If your going to have a go at me then at least choose who you prefer as manager then maybe I could comment on that. 

It’s a fair point. I like Adkins, very underrated performer and a good man manager I understand. I am interested by Steve Cooper’s credentials, and he has done a good job to date at Swansea following in the footsteps of Potter. Both of those would have us playing attractive football, giving youth every opportunity to flourish. Still pretty sure it will be Rooney though (or perhaps JT). I would be ‘ok’ with either even though I don’t like either of them particularly. Rooney (perhaps unfairly) I think could have done a lot more on the field, and in the press, to support Cocu. JT has an arrogance to him, and a chequered past but I am far from convinced he is the racist people want to paint him. However, both those guys have proven themselves on the football field, they are winners, they have contacts, they have had multiple experiences of top managers, and they will have a hunger to succeed again in the world of Management. With good number twos, which both would surely bring with them, they will do well I am sure. I just hope both will be mandated with ensuring the work done by Cocu is continued with regards to keeping the Academy pathway open to the first team as we have some very exciting talents in our ranks.

31 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

It’s a fair point. I like Adkins, very underrated performer and a good man manager I understand. I am interested by Steve Cooper’s credentials, and he has done a good job to date at Swansea following in the footsteps of Potter. Both of those would have us playing attractive football, giving youth every opportunity to flourish. Still pretty sure it will be Rooney though (or perhaps JT). I would be ‘ok’ with either even though I don’t like either of them particularly. Rooney (perhaps unfairly) I think could have done a lot more on the field, and in the press, to support Cocu. JT has an arrogance to him, and a chequered past but I am far from convinced he is the racist people want to paint him. However, both those guys have proven themselves on the football field, they are winners, they have contacts, they have had multiple experiences of top managers, and they will have a hunger to succeed again in the world of Management. With good number twos, which both would surely bring with them, they will do well I am sure. I just hope both will be mandated with ensuring the work done by Cocu is continued with regards to keeping the Academy pathway open to the first team as we have some very exciting talents in our ranks.

i Ram thanks for your reply you make some excellent points I agree Cooper is a good choice, not so keen on Adkins, I agree with you on Rooney and Terry they both need good number two's who have the experience to progress the club to the next level, especially Rooney who has no managerial experience at all. 

I think we need to get our ducks in the right order (and I mean ducks, it is not the swear filter).

First point is the takeover - everything, and I mean everything, is dependent on that. I'm a bit worried about that at the moment, this guy has a history of being a bit of a Michael Knighton, the best bit of news I need to hear is that this is done. Then we recruit the manager accordingly, if he's going to put in a billion we go for a top drawer name, if he's not taking the lid off the biscuit tin then we look for those who have done it on a budget.

But until the deal is done - nothing else matters.

On 16/11/2020 at 19:47, ziggyram59 said:

Lee Johnson got good Championship experience and better than the likes of Adkins McDermott etc. 

Curious to think why, though?

Lee Johnson  317 games: 84 wins, 54 draws and 79 losses. 37.7% win percentage. 0 promotions. 
Nigel Adkins  535 games: 227 wins, 124 draws and 184 losses. 42.4% win percentage. 4 promotions.
B. McDermott 463 games: 186 wins, 119 draws and 158 losses. 40.2% win percentage. 1 promotion.

Both McDermott and Adkins have promotions from the Championship. I doubt it will be any of them, but Lee Johnson hasn't achieved anything like what Adkins or McDermott have in his career. 

6 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Curious to think why, though?

Lee Johnson  317 games: 84 wins, 54 draws and 79 losses. 37.7% win percentage. 0 promotions. 
Nigel Adkins  535 games: 227 wins, 124 draws and 184 losses. 42.4% win percentage. 4 promotions.
B. McDermott 463 games: 186 wins, 119 draws and 158 losses. 40.2% win percentage. 1 promotion.

Both McDermott and Adkins have promotions from the Championship. I doubt it will be any of them, but Lee Johnson hasn't achieved anything like what Adkins or McDermott have in his career. 

It's all about choice and Adkins and McDermott do not inspire me at all, thought Johnson played some decent football at Bristol City, life is about opinions Ambitious it would be a dull place if we all liked the same thing. 

8 minutes ago, ziggyram59 said:

It's all about choice and Adkins and McDermott do not inspire me at all, thought Johnson played some decent football at Bristol City, life is about opinions Ambitious it would be a dull place if we all liked the same thing. 

Johnson was a serial playoff bottler, tailed off every season. Last thing we need at this club.

2 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

He’s all highs and lows. When he’s winning you can’t keep him off the telly.

He’s a complete narcissist.

Yeah agreed, they seemed to go on great runs and then completely fall of a cliff and he was well backed as well. Didn't seem to front up when things got bad, looked lost in his post match interviews.

Archived