Rooney or Terry?

IslandExile

Rooney or Terry?  

158 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Shaftesbury st said:

I don’t want an out and out Racist at my club........End of

Assume when Eranio returned to pride park in 2017 you must have objected then?

Personally I’d want someone with more experience but that could be overcome by having an experienced number 2.

But if we’re going down the big name ex player inexperienced manager route why is Sol Campbell not being mentioned?  More qualified than both of them and already cut his teeth in management, taking over two complete basket cases in macclesfield and Southend. He performed a miracle at Macclesfield to keep them in the football league, didn’t do well at Southend but the fact they now look like they’re going straight through league 2 and out of the football league would suggest there are much bigger problems there.

A top international player, more managerial experience than either Rooney or Terry, and in Macclesfield took over a much worse situation than ours and turned it around. If we’re going down the inexperienced big name route he needs to be in the conversation. He would be a better choice than either of them.

4 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

But better than the recent results under Cocu would indicate

Absolutely. I don't however foresee something similar to the Igor Stimac 'bounce' of 20 odd unbeaten.

I think anything above 14th/15th (or getting into the ground) for this season should be seen as successful.  

32 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Personally I’d want someone with more experience but that could be overcome by having an experienced number 2.

But if we’re going down the big name ex player inexperienced manager route why is Sol Campbell not being mentioned?  More qualified than both of them and already cut his teeth in management, taking over two complete basket cases in macclesfield and Southend. He performed a miracle at Macclesfield to keep them in the football league, didn’t do well at Southend but the fact they now look like they’re going straight through league 2 and out of the football league would suggest there are much bigger problems there.

A top international player, more managerial experience than either Rooney or Terry, and in Macclesfield took over a much worse situation than ours and turned it around. If we’re going down the inexperienced big name route he needs to be in the conversation. He would be a better choice than either of them.

Yes but Sol Campbell happens to be perhaps the biggest twit on earth 

Steve McClaren. 

-He plays the kind of football we need right now.

-He has the obvious connection with our club.

-He's informed about us. Keeps up to date with the club and Opta stats.

- Would continue to give the youth an opportunity.

-He'd allow Rooney to take an assistant role. 

-He'd get us promoted with a bit of backing.

Neither Rooney or Terry....

Rooney now seems to only going through the motions (and I can't see that improving any time soon), and needs experience as a manager, and John Terry has always seemed to me to be a glory hogging attention seeking pillock and the type to blame everyone else for something that is entirely his fault. 

Neither particularly excites me but I’m not sure who I would like to be honest.

As for the personal judgments on Terry and Rooney I’m not going to hold that against them and they would have my support if they got the job. I get that if you identify yourself as a bit more or an armchair intellectual or pavement cafe ideologist then a Phillip Cocu type character is going to be more appealing than the Anglo Saxon options of Rooney or Terry. They have been guilty of misdemeanours in the past which have received the full glare of the 21st century media optics ( let’s be honest what would we have thought of Brian Clough or some of our ‘Heroes’ of the 70’s and 80’s if they had been under the same level of scrutiny?) but are both not entitled to move on from their mistakes? One of the great things about civilised society has been believing in reform and the opportunity of self improvement for all. The liberal agenda had shifted in society and has become very high handed, judgemental and effectively looks to lock people out rather than invite them in. Sad really.

On 14/11/2020 at 21:40, IslandExile said:

The two front runners with the bookies are the big names Rooney and Terry.

Rooney has been the focus of the national media for some time.

Terry has been mentioned by the DET for a few days and, now by ITK(?) @Big Trav .

Terry has more experience of coaching but Rooney is already on the payroll.

So, ignoring all the other suggestions folks have made on other threads, if it came down to one from these two... Who would you choose?

Neither would be first choice

But Rooney would cost nothing, is already in place and has at least a passing resemblance for something remotely like a connection to the club now

Terry is a dreadful human being with no connection to the club and would just be looking at us as a stepping stone (at least Lampard I vaguely liked but understood that's all he was ever doing)

Anyone remember Terry leading a mutiny at the 2010 world cup?

Anyone likely to come in is probably going to get a bit of negativity from some fans, but I think the issue with both Rooney and Terry is the perception they'd get the job based on name and media profile rather than if they'd be good at the job. Who knows, they might be good at the job.

I've never found either particularly likable, although theres far more to dislike about Terry than Rooney in terms of controversy.

Archived