Championship Owner 2020/21

i-Ram

I think I am right to say that as matters stand Martyn Waghorn, Duane Holmes, Andre Wisdom, Jack Marriott, Scott Malone and Curtis Davies are out of contract at the end of the season. Rooney I understand could have 1 more year, at the club’s option. Let’s ignore Rooney in this proposed ‘game’. Let’s also assume Championship status is maintained.

Knowing our amortisation policy that means you could potentially take quite a hit on these players if you let contracts lapse. Let’s say £4m Waghorn, £0.5m Holmes, £3m Wisdom, £2.5m Marriott, £2m Malone and £nil Davies. (You must assume that these players will not accept any reduction in wages or anything less than a 2 year deal). So £12m potential loss facing you, on top of say a £10m trading loss (generous), and again for this game let’s assume that you cannot exceed £13m losses for PPS come June 2021. The one bit of good news is that you have done a reasonable Stadium Naming Deal and have £2m available to offset for the year. You are restricted in any other way to introduce any more income into the figures for PPS benefit.

So to summarise, you are staring at a loss for the year of £8m (with 5m PPS headroom) if you renew everyone and therefore have £5m to spend on one player who would make a real difference, or £20m loss (and £7m PPS breach), meaning that you have to sell two of Knight, Sibley, Buchanan, Jozwiak, Bielik or Lawrence to not fall foul of a points penalty.  Obviously there is some middle ground if you only renew a few contracts, and get some transfer fees in, but let’s not over complicate things shall we.

So what would you do?

Buy the club, or walk away thinking wtf was I thinking of? ?

Quite happy of course for you to play the game in more detail and share your thoughts; be something to pass the time till next Saturday.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd try to extend the contracts of Waghorn, Holmes and Wisdom by one year, with a wage reduction.

The rest can go. 

Try and fill in the squad with free transfers and loans. Only spend on fees if there is a gap in the squadbir the chance of an exceptional player.

Loan out those young players stuck between the first team and u23s ie Whittaker, Ebosele and JHI.

22 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I think I am right to say that as matters stand Martyn Waghorn, Duane Holmes, Andre Wisdom, Jack Marriott, Scott Malone and Curtis Davies are out of contract at the end of the season. Rooney I understand could have 1 more year, at the club’s option. Let’s ignore Rooney in this proposed ‘game’. Let’s also assume Championship status is maintained.

Knowing our amortisation policy that means you could potentially take quite a hit on these players if you let contracts lapse. Let’s say £4m Waghorn, £0.5m Holmes, £3m Wisdom, £2.5m Marriott, £2m Malone and £nil Davies. (You must assume that these players will not accept any reduction in wages or anything less than a 2 year deal). So £12m potential loss facing you, on top of say a £10m trading loss (generous), and again for this game let’s assume that you cannot exceed £13m losses for PPS come June 2021. The one bit of good news is that you have done a reasonable Stadium Naming Deal and have £2m available to offset for the year. You are restricted in any other way to introduce any more income into the figures for PPS benefit.

So to summarise, you are staring at a loss for the year of £8m (with 5m PPS headroom) if you renew everyone and therefore have £5m to spend on one player who would make a real difference, or £20m loss (and £7m PPS breach), meaning that you have to sell two of Knight, Sibley, Buchanan, Jozwiak, Bielik or Lawrence to not fall foul of a points penalty.  Obviously there is some middle ground if you only renew a few contracts, and get some transfer fees in, but let’s not over complicate things shall we.

So what would you do?

Quite happy of course for you to play the game in more detail and share your thoughts; be something to pass the time till next Saturday.

Marriott's contract was extended before he was loaned out. 

Agree with @sage with the contract renewals. 

1 minute ago, rynny said:

Marriott's contract was extended before he was loaned out. 

Agree with @sage with the contract renewals. 

Thanks Rynny. I don’t think Waghorn or Wisdom will accept either one year contracts or reduced wages. They will try to do a “Martin”.  Although there is of course the risk they could become a “Huddlestone”.

1 minute ago, i-Ram said:

Thanks Rynny. I don’t think Waghorn or Wisdom will accept either one year contracts or reduced wages. They will try to do a “Martin”.  Although there is of course the risk they could become a “Huddlestone”.

They probably won't. Probably push for a 2 year deal for Wisdom, but neither on their current pay. 

20 minutes ago, thelovebelow said:

I disagree. We've got loads of potential. If we get a manager to get the best out of this crop then things will look up very quickly. 

Maybe, but it’s a lot of hard work before we realise that potential. Any new owner is going to have to lose a lot of money before they start seeing the benefits.

19 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I think if the extension was offered now instead of the summer they would be more likely to accept it. 

56 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

So what would you do?

its so avoidable. any players with 18 months left on his contract should either be offered a new deal or sold (if any takers)

This game sounds easy.

1. Keep all players and spend £5m on players

2. Let all players leave and then sell 2 more.

It's a tough one but I think I'll go with option 1.

However, if you factor in wages and potential squad role, you'd be looking to get rid of Malone and Davies. That leaves us with £3m to spend on a CB to replace Clarke. We'll have to make do with Waggy, Marriott, and Stretton at CF.

Jozefzoon and Kazim-Richards are also missing off the list.

If it makes anyone feel better, I think we factored in all the players leaving at the end of their contracts (at least in a pre-covid world). Thus, extending a few (Waggy, Wisdom, and previously Marriott), is our get out of jail free card (as a result of Covid) for this season.

13 minutes ago, Rambalin said:

Am I a multi billionaire Shiekh who has just purchased the club and do I give a toss about P&S. 

If I am and I don't then I will do whatever I like with my money. 

Are you then?  Or are you just Rambalin?

6 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

How does the player value work. I thought if you paid £4m over 4 year contract then the value lost is £1m/year rather than £4m at the end of the contract? Am I missing something or will some of this money have been accounted in previous seasons?

Where have you been the last 11 months? ?

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/august/-statement---Derby-county/

I’m not fussed about keeping any of them but I wouldn’t sell our best youngsters to offset ffp losses. It’s a stupid system.

maybe the answer is to do swap deals on the basis that it presumably defers amortisation and ffp losses and gives us a chance to gamble and bring someone in.

we need at least one centre half, a left winger and a centre forward with a first touch who can hold the ball.

In priority - I’d let Rooney, Davies, forsyth, carson, and Malone go as no-one will pay for them.

marriott, Lawrence, wisdom and Holmes - maybe we could try Tommy doc style swap deals and still have £3m left to spend?
I’d probably keep Waghorn.

It’s not easy is it.

English based players

Josh Earl (offer Holmes) or ben Davies ( offer Marriott)

maybe Liam Lindsay on a low fee. 

jordan hugill or sam Gallagher - (offer Tom lawrence) 

Alternatively - robert glatzel - (Offer wisdom)

Foreign based 

Either Marcus edwards - left wing - or Dino peric - centre half -  £3m as that’s the max we can offer.

4 hours ago, Gritstone Ram said:

How does the player value work. I thought if you paid £4m over 4 year contract then the value lost is £1m/year rather than £4m at the end of the contract? Am I missing something or will some of this money have been accounted in previous seasons?

That's how losers operate. I thinknit was 2015 when we adopted the current policy using 'residual values'. Essentially a player can hold a high book value until the day he leaves the club.

Archived