Ah the 70s

RoyMac5

4 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

Yeah and you could slide from the top of Argyle Street all the way down to the bottom in one go. 

Wonder if it really is as steep as I remember ? 

my mum used to tackle that twice a day when running the international hotel in the 80s and 90s

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t recall us ever having a chip pan fire...despite mum using It ever day and it being just about the most deadly inferno known to man....I can still remember dad getting her a deep fat fryer for Christmas one year... and they said romance wasn’t alive in the 70’s...

and the pressure cooker used to scare me to death!! 

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I used to remember having to have my hair washed with this

2f642d85db2d440e5e52361e2f4b1253.jpg

We just used to get one of those tiny sachets from the corner shop... one per week (Sunday, obvs!)... between me & my 4 sisters!

Yes... The corner shop was open on a Sunday... 10am until 12 noon!  ?

We never had washing-up liquid.  We used to sprinkle some of this in the washing-up bowl...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQElIvXrLcGsrhwg9LK20b

A couple of those sent shivers down my spine. Getting your hair cut with those blunt razor contraptions. No wonder my hair fell out! Also the rotary whipper, remember licking the leftover cake mix and little brother giving the handle a whirl. Couldn’t speak for a week. And to think it was alright for a 14 year old to just grab a rifle, jump on the horse and disappear into the Bush for the weekend.

Do 13/14 year olds still get enough "Pocket Money" to cover the cost of attending a home match, including snacks/bus fare etc?  I seriously doubt it.

I know I did, and no, it certainly wasn't higher than average pocket money.  I think I got 10s (50p) per week, for doing general household/family chores/pot washing etc.  I got 2s/10p for cleaning the neighbour's disgusting fishymongery van on a Sunday, inside and out.

Whatever the figure, it was enough to go to the match.

This was the latter half of the '70s.

(Had to wait until '79/first week's wages before I started going to away games regularly.)

19 hours ago, Normanton Lad said:

If you are referring to the avocado bathroom suite then I am proud to say I still have one. Who the hell cares what colour your bath is? At least I had an inside toilet. A friend in Derby only had an outside toilet until about 1990 when he moved away. For all I know that house might still only have an outside toilet.

As a decorator, still see coloured bathroom suites,green, advacodo,yellow,maroon and pink.Blue appears to be the less common 

30 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

We used one of these:-

images.jpeg-71.jpg.f0fa67cab2c116167cb78965e75a980c.jpg

Im appalled you can say such a thing.....

Were you not concerned about what you might catch? ?

1 hour ago, ram1964 said:

As a decorator, still see coloured bathroom suites,green, advacodo,yellow,maroon and pink.Blue appears to be the less common 

My dad still has a blue bathroom suite....with a white toilet...wooden seat and of course an electric shower with the heater thing in the bath...surely that can’t be safe can It...? 

On 13/11/2020 at 22:24, Mostyn6 said:

my mum used to tackle that twice a day when running the international hotel in the 80s and 90s

I always associate the International Hotel with a memory I have of the biggest dog I have ever seen. It lived in the hotel or nearby. I used to see it when I walked up that bit of Burton Road a lot around 1976 and 1977. I don't know much about dogs and my memory might be playing tricks but I think it was a Great Dane. People used to laugh pointing at it and say you could put a saddle on him.

To be fair, although the 70s was the high water mark for dangerous contraptions and a laissez faire attitude to health and safety, it was also the classic era of safety films and public awareness campaigns. I was a member of the Tufty Club, we were taught how to safely cross the road by the Green Cross Code Man and Alvin Stardust, encouraged to learn to swim by Rolf Harris (probably best to draw a veil over that one), and warned not to talk to strangers by Charlie the Cat. Most importantly, we were taught in no uncertain terms not to play with frisbees near electricity pylons, as to do so would end very, very badly.

Everything may have been more dangerous, but at least you couldn't say you hadn't been warned.

Archived