What mistakes would you have made?

CBRammette

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be honest and say I'd probably have made most if not all the same mistakes Mel has. That's why I find it hard to criticise him. I've not really had any major problems, at the time, with the decisions he's made. Obviously looking back you can say some things could/should have been done differently but in real time most of them seemed to be the right /plausible course of action.

I'd have let SMac reshape the team after the collapse in 2015. I wouldn't have stood in his way in any way. I'd have sanctioned any sales and possibly encouraged the selling on of Keogh, Forsyth etc. Unsure if it would have been a mistake, but we'd probably still have Hughes here, maybe ended up with lesser defender than Keogh, but we'd be scoring a bucketload.

Assuming Mac left for Newcastle of his own accord later on, I'd have left Clement to carry on. We were top on boxing day. (We only plummeted after Mel went into the dressing room).

Assuming Clement walked, I'd have left Wassall in charge. He made ONE mistake at Rotherham. But on the whole, did a great job and I think he deserved the chance to build his own team.

Assuming Wassall didn't want the job. I'd have employed someone who played a similar type of attacking football, and not bowed down to the fans calling for Pearson to be employed, as he was a bad fit. (Lots of fans pretend they didn't ask for Pearson now!). I'd have talked Harry into it, although he might have said no to a sensible transfer budget. Maybe gone for Warnock after Wassall, plays attacking football and gets players to over-achieve.

8 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I'd have let SMac reshape the team after the collapse in 2015. I wouldn't have stood in his way in any way. I'd have sanctioned any sales and possibly encouraged the selling on of Keogh, Forsyth etc. Unsure if it would have been a mistake, but we'd probably still have Hughes here, maybe ended up with lesser defender than Keogh, but we'd be scoring a bucketload.

Assuming Mac left for Newcastle of his own accord later on, I'd have left Clement to carry on. We were top on boxing day. (We only plummeted after Mel went into the dressing room).

Assuming Clement walked, I'd have left Wassall in charge. He made ONE mistake at Rotherham. But on the whole, did a great job and I think he deserved the chance to build his own team.

Assuming Wassall didn't want the job. I'd have employed someone who played a similar type of attacking football, and not bowed down to the fans calling for Pearson to be employed, as he was a bad fit. (Lots of fans pretend they didn't ask for Pearson now!). I'd have talked Harry into it, although he might have said no to a sensible transfer budget. Maybe gone for Warnock after Wassall, plays attacking football and gets players to over-achieve.

We were in freefall by the time Mel kicked the doors down Vs Reading.

1) I'd of sacked Paul Clement the moment I learnt he put his own initials on his shirts. Abhorrent.

2) Brought back McClaren instead of Pearson so he had a window or two of recruitment behind him. I then wouldn't of binned him off because Gary Rowett and his agent were flashing their skirt at me.

3) Would of hired Dean Smith instead of Lampard. 

4) Replaced the recruitment team in full after the Vydra/Anya summer.

5) Other than that, I honestly can't say hand on heart that I'd of done a lot different to Mel. I would have definitely hired Cocu the moment I'd heard he was available...probably given him an even longer contract, too. But you live and you learn, eh? ?‍♂️

We're going to regret getting on Mel's back so much. All this talk of mistakes and mismanagement...He always had the clubs best interests at heart and you don't get to choose the owners.

He's the best you can ever realistically hope for. Hope you all enjoy being owned by a distant, uncaring businessman who won't put any money in and gives up on the project in 5 years time...

I think it's very easy for people to say the things they wouldn't have done five years on, when hindsight shows us what worked and what didn't.

Flipping the question, one thing I would have done is set up a system with a clear philosophy, probably with a director of football, so that there would be very little disruption when a manager left. And I would have invested less in the academy and far more in a quality recruitment setup that pays for itself. Basically, I would have taken a lot of inspiration from the likes of Brentford, Norwich, etc. 

12 minutes ago, Tombo said:

We're going to regret getting on Mel's back so much. All this talk of mistakes and mismanagement...He always had the clubs best interests at heart and you don't get to choose the owners.

He's the best you can ever realistically hope for. Hope you all enjoy being owned by a distant, uncaring businessman who won't put any money in and gives up on the project in 5 years time...

I think it’s unfair to slate the new guy, what evidence do you have to suggest that.

I would have made a lot more mistakes than Mr Morris by far.

However, I would not go within 5000 miles of a football team if I was looking for any financial reward. As a fan I would realise that I would be laying myself open to abuse and scrutiny from fans and could expect not one sausage in the way of support.

My biggest mistake would be to write a song entitled “The Derby Way”!

14 hours ago, CBRammette said:

Seeing the thread on Mel's mistakes I think Mel always tried to do what he thought was best and would get us to the promised land as a fan.  So as a little light relief from the gloom if you were in his position what mistakes do you think you would have made?

I for one would have given Igor any role he wanted in the club for however much money he wanted, given Chris Martin a 10 year deal and got rid of those hideous chicken balti pies. 

I like this post, I have made far more (mistakes) than Mel and although I have funded DCFC through by season ticket, its a couple of quid short of the amount Mel has put in, also my mistakes have not been in media so on a 10 out of 10 basis I would give him am 8 out of 10, possibly would have got higher but needs to get some decent chicken pies in.

Mel is a Ram and so am I and as such I will always chant the Mel Morris is a ram at the match (when we are allowed back) 

Archived