I'm looking forward to sports scene talk in tonight.

ziggyram59

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

Beating Ajax and Feynoord to the title is absolutely no small feat, especially when you factor that he lost his best players year-on-year and had 3 titles in 5 years with more than £100m profit in player sales. It's not an easy job at all. PSV haven't done it since he left that's for sure. 

Feyanoord are Basically Aberdeen if Ajax and psv are Celtic and Rangers 

it’s a two club country, yes u get the occasional twente, alkmaar or the like upsetting the Apple cart but both Ajax and psv have infinitely more resources and the absolute pick of any young gems the country produces 

of course he did well to win it 

but it’s basically Neil Lennon or Steven gerrard ... come over here and they may do well... they may not 

totally different ball game and playing field 

2 hours ago, Orphanram said:

I’ve been at a bit of a loss in terms of who I think the next manager should be but hearing Steele talk about both  McClaren reigns has got me a bit giddy for Mac3! I’ll probably be back to being undecided after I’ve had a cup of tea.

Have you forgot to take any medication ?

Steve McClaren has the strangest hold over Derby fans and I say this because I’m guilty of it to.

Whenever we sack a manager, a large section of Derby fans first thought is ‘is Steve McClaren available’ and the handy thing about it is he almost always is available. If he’s ever not available it’s usually because we’re the ones who just sacked him.

Even now, despite everything, my gut is telling me he’d come in, whack us straight into a 4-3-3 and have Colin Kazim-Richards on 20 goals by the end of the season. Now I think about it...Bird in the Thorne role and Knight/Sibley sharing the Bryson role? Might still make the automatics.

4 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Steve McClaren has the strangest hold over Derby fans and I say this because I’m guilty of it to.

Whenever we sack a manager, a large section of Derby fans first thought is ‘is Steve McClaren available’ and the handy thing about it is he almost always is available. If he’s ever not available it’s usually because we’re the ones who just sacked him.

Even now, despite everything, my gut is telling me he’d come in, whack us straight into a 4-3-3 and have Colin Kazim-Richards on 20 goals by the end of the season. Now I think about it...Bird in the Thorne role and Knight/Sibley sharing the Bryson role? Might still make the automatics.

He's available for a reason ?

3 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

As many of us have said though, this is mostly because he gave us some of the best times as Derby fans in recent memory.

Come on...the bandwagon is rolling into town. Eric Steele's on board. Remember what he did with Hendrick/Hughsey/Bryson/Russell/Martin...what could he do with Bird/Knight/Sibley/Bielik/Buchanan/Jozwiak...even Lawrence!

2 minutes ago, ram1964 said:

Until his head gets turned,offered better.correct in his best work ,because Newcastle ,forest ,England he was poo

He didn't go until Mel sacked him - every good manager is going to be wanted by more than one team! Geddit?

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He does his best work here, we get him he gets us.

The best football we’ve played in the last quarter of a century, Mac’s been instrumental in cultivating. First coaching under TBE, then picking up what Nigel started and taking it to the next level.

33 minutes ago, ram1964 said:

Until his head gets turned,offered better.correct in his best work ,because Newcastle ,forest ,England he was poo

I really think the Newcastle interest is one of the most overstated stories of the last decade or so, it affected the fan base more the team. That season fell apart because of injuries, of Chris Martin had stayed fit we’d have finished top 2 and no one would have given a poo about Newcastle, including McClaren.

You’re right that he’s been poo more often than not though. At some point you’ve got to think McClaren is the problem and not the clubs he fails at.

Would love him as a first team coach though.

8 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I think it could be worth listening to tonight purely on the basis that some of the names put forward for the managers' job is going to be borderline insanity. 

Rafa is bound to get a mention, as well as Eddie Howe, but I'm sure there is some mental suggestions that will be brought up. I wouldn't be surprised if Pep is mentioned, I really wouldn't. 

On DerbyFanTV the other night people were genuinely suggesting Poch

I think many of us enjoyed the style of play that SM brought to the team. It had abandon that was fun to watch.  I also think that it was fun to play too for the players. 

I wouldn’t blame people for wanting to watch that again - it’s one of the reasons why we pay our money to go to the match. 

maclaren had had offers before the Newcastle ‘interest’ and had turned them down. 

I don’t necessarily want SM back but I would really like to see full on attacking football and if that means we get beat 5 4.  So what?

Thats the Rimbaud way. 

12 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

I really think the Newcastle interest is one of the most overstated stories of the last decade or so, it affected the fan base more the team. That season fell apart because of injuries, of Chris Martin had stayed fit we’d have finished top 2 and no one would have given a poo about Newcastle, including McClaren.

You’re right that he’s been poo more often than not though. At some point you’ve got to think McClaren is the problem and not the clubs he fails at.

Would love him as a first team coach though.

That's not what Jamie Ward said. He reckons the whole dressing room atmosphere nosedived. They asked McClaren straight and he changed the subject and refused to discus it further. Eric Steele also says that Schteeve handled it really badly. IMO Mel had no choice but to sack him.

That is water under the bridge though. If the takeover goes through McClaren won't get a look in. If it doesn't and Mel is just treading water waiting for the next offer, maybe McClaren would be the man to get the most out of this squad. If he got us into the play offs or by some fluke promoted, I can't see him being tempted elsewhere this time - older and wiser and all that.

Archived