Reasons why we don’t score

RamNut

5 hours ago, sage said:

Good Lord. That is this crazy season. BTW Marriott was to the left of goal and scored with his right. Ring Liverpool and tell Salah and Mane to switch. 

But, you cannot compare Mane and Salah to Lawrence and Waghorn, that would be crazy!

In Derby's set up I concur that there is little point with the "winger" going wide to try and put in a cross as there is no bugger in the middle due to our "style" of play. So cutting in to their strong foot makes some sense, but unfortunately the middle is all clogged up and none of our "wingers" maybe with the exception of Jozwiak (and Ibe?) have the skill to navigate those areas.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In simple terms, we don't score because we don't shoot or make a crucial pass when there is a split second of an opportunity. Our forward players don't seem to have that quickness of thought that is needed in the packed areas that we are playing against. Just have a bloomin' shot!! It may well get deflected. it may well end up in the goal because if you don't shoot you aint gonna score.

Has Cocu had a fit mobile forward thinking midfielder to get the ball to our attackers quicker. He also has not had a fit mobile centre forward. Until he gets both the system will not be very effective but Mel and the scouting team know that.

1 hour ago, dabber said:

But, you cannot compare Mane and Salah to Lawrence and Waghorn, that would be crazy!

In Derby's set up I concur that there is little point with the "winger" going wide to try and put in a cross as there is no bugger in the middle due to our "style" of play. So cutting in to their strong foot makes some sense, but unfortunately the middle is all clogged up and none of our "wingers" maybe with the exception of Jozwiak (and Ibe?) have the skill to navigate those areas.

it is clogged up because our build up play is too slow, 

8 hours ago, JustOneChrissyMartin said:

A) You’ve completely made that up

B) They score goals from runs they’ve made from those positions, Lawrence wouldn’t of scored a brace away at Wednesday playing on the right.

A. No I haven’t I have reviewed every goal scored

b. Can’t be bothered to discuss with you

20 hours ago, sage said:

Because I'm right. Why do you think they put left footers out right? It's so they can cut inside on to their strong foot and shoot from a more central position. 

18 hours ago, dabber said:

You're so wrong! For Derby, one goal in open play (from someone who isn't here anymore) says that quite clearly!!

Think he just means thats the idea behind it. 

Derbys wingers dont score because there told to keep possession rather than take a risk. 

4 hours ago, bcnram said:

In simple terms, we don't score because we don't shoot or make a crucial pass when there is a split second of an opportunity. Our forward players don't seem to have that quickness of thought that is needed in the packed areas that we are playing against. Just have a bloomin' shot!! It may well get deflected. it may well end up in the goal because if you don't shoot you aint gonna score.

think its actually because their told to keep possession instead.  But otherwise agree with all this

1 hour ago, Chris_Martin said:

20 hours ago, sage said:

Because I'm right. Why do you think they put left footers out right? It's so they can cut inside on to their strong foot and shoot from a more central position. 

Think he just means thats the idea behind it. 

Derbys wingers dont score because there told to keep possession rather than take a risk. 

Totally agree, lost count of the amount of times we have created a 1 v 1, but rather than take the player on, retreat, recycle the ball and get nowhere. They need to be braver and have the confidence to have a go as clearly ball retention is getting us nowhere!

10 hours ago, JustOneChrissyMartin said:

You’ve reviewed every single goal we’ve scored since August 2017cm punk GIF

Waghorn goals. You seem to struggle to follow a sentence.

im not sure they are making the decision to keep possession in the final third rather than apply a killer pass. they are keeping possession because they dont have enough faith in either their own ability to make a telling pass, or their isnt a pass on because their team mates aren't making space for themselves. its all about confidence for me. and at present it doesnt seem that the manager is able to instill that

1 hour ago, JustOneChrissyMartin said:

You said you’d reviewed every goal scored

Yes that would make sense.

In order to review whether Waghorn had ever scored by cutting in from the right on his left foot - which he hasn’t - I’d watch the goals scored by Chris Martin ?

On 08/11/2020 at 13:35, Ramarena said:

One of our major problems is that we are too slow, pace wise and style wise.

Teams in this division have a tendency to sit back and counter (especially away) so when we play it out from the back, get to the halfway go back, get to the half way line, go back again then look for another stacking angle the other team have shut us down.

Its no coincidence we’ve created our best opportunities from openly this season on few times we have a counter attack when the opposition havent had chance to settle.

Yes, agreed. We are so busy keeping shape, doing the tactics thing that openings - which are there, close before we’ve made the killer pass, shot, strike. Too much thought not enough instinct. Move the ball quickly, run off the ball, make yourself available. 

7 hours ago, RamNut said:

Yes that would make sense.

In order to review whether Waghorn had ever scored by cutting in from the right on his left foot - which he hasn’t - I’d watch the goals scored by Chris Martin ?

Stoke at home last season, made the run from the right.

Bristol at home under Lampard, made the run from the right.

Hull away in the cup under Lampard, made the run from the right.

On 10/11/2020 at 14:41, Beetle said:

I should be clearer and say a centre forward who can play up there on his own. I was hopeful Waghorn could but he cannot.

Waghorn can play up there on his own - he just won't score many and his first touch is often dreadful so he won't keep hold of the ball either.

Our build up is so slow and deliberate, so many passes are misplaced or go astray, there is no creativity from midfield or out wide - no wonder opposing teams comment on how easy we are to play against. 
Someone should tell the management team that this is Championship professional football - not walking football. 
In addition, worrying about how the opposition set up has got to stop ASAP. 

4 hours ago, JustOneChrissyMartin said:

Stoke at home last season, made the run from the right.

Bristol at home under Lampard, made the run from the right.

Hull away in the cup under Lampard, made the run from the right.

The first goal was a header?? How does that show the benefit of coming inside on his left foot??

The second is a cross from the left and a near post tap in???

The third, Waghorn is in the inside left position shooting with his left foot - which supports my argument? 

Archived