Reasons why we don’t score

RamNut

5 minutes ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

Interesting but surely that first picture is ideal for a right footer, it comes into him from the right as well. 

if his first touch was with his left, he could have then hit it with his right but he is so one footed he can’t even do that.

his first touch is with the outside of his right and it bounces off leading to him coming inside.

(remember Nigel Clough or Johnny method slating Chris Maguire for using the outside of his foot.)

by all means have two footed players like Alan Hinton could cut inside but the perverse belief in wrong-footedness is self evidently wrong and counter productive.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought that the chasing-down, when out of possession, seemed quite successful. (And I think us fans like to see it, and hate it when it's not happening.)

I think goals can come from these moments because they are unpredictable, and players are out of possession.

I think if oppositions want to sit behind the ball, then peppering them with shots may result in a deflected goal or two (or girl or two, as my auto-correct initially had it).

2 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Jordan Ibe is right footed and plays mainly on the left. Stick him out on the left, put Lawrence in the middle and Jozwiak on the right. Put Waghorn on the bench as an impact player to come on in the 2nd half. Would this create more goals.

How about putting Tom lawrence on the January transfer list and actually buying a left footer? 

Agree with a lot in this thread. Would also add we seem to be static off the ball in the final third. The amount of times yesterday Bryne and Buchanan were left on their own was shocking, and it would then be a case of pass it back to our own half to ping a ball out to the other side to do it all over again. 

Team has no confidence either so we don't have someone who can work a bit of magic and when we do get into position we seem to be too slow to take the opportunity on properly. 

No clue what the solution is. Maybe we should just play the U23s.

For me the main reason is slow build up, so I  agree with all who have mentioned this. It allows the opposition to get behind the ball and make our task more difficult than it already is with our forwards lacking in confidence.

I saw a stat on Twitter yesterday that said we had over 900 passes and 9 shots on goal, so it takes us over 100 passes per shot. Not exactly potent, are we?

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

For me the main reason is slow build up, so I  agree with all who have mentioned this. It allows the opposition to get behind the ball and make our task more difficult than it already is with our forwards lacking in confidence.

I saw a stat on Twitter yesterday that said we had over 900 passes and 9 shots on goal, so it takes us over 100 passes per shot. Not exactly potent, are we?

Spot on we need to move the ball much quicker and with purpose you can still play good football and it’s much harder to defend against.

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

Derby are 5th in the league for most passes played this season. 

Norwich, Blackburn, Huddersfield and Bournemouth above us.

30 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Jordan Ibe is right footed and plays mainly on the left. Stick him out on the left, put Lawrence in the middle and Jozwiak on the right. Put Waghorn on the bench as an impact player to come on in the 2nd half. Would this create more goals.

Yes perfect I have mentioned this before

The main reasons we don't score is that for the most part our build-up play is very slow and laborious.

It appears we sometimes appear to want to pass the ball to death.  

At times we play forward and back in effort to retain the ball for long periods without appearing to have a plan of what where trying to do. 

In many cases it is own overplaying that leads to our downfall will an eventual misplaced pass to an opposition player who is then through on goal with our guys at 6's and 7's. 

We have some pacy players but seem at the moment incapable of exploiting their qualities. 

It feels at times were trying to imposes a type and style of football on our players that they are both uncomfortable with and at times completely incapable of playing. 

This is all clutching at straws. You have to come to the realisation that we're just a poor football team under this manager. Dreadful really.

The reason we don't score is because we aren't coached properly, it just isn't working with the current regime. We just lack a collective attacking mentality, there is zero know how or cohesion on the field. There is no element of unpredictability with our play there are never signs of us going through the gears.

I just don't see any positives with this team under this manager. Get someone in who knows what they're doing and we'll be fine.

57 minutes ago, RamNut said:

How about putting Tom lawrence on the January transfer list and actually buying a left footer? 

Why do we need a left footer. We already have Forsyth, Buchanan, Clarke, Shinnie, Bird, Sibley, Waghorn, Whittaker and Kelle Roos all left footers

On the original point, Jozwiak came in and told us how much he liked playing on the left wing and then ends up starting on the right. I think its evident he is better on the left, but Inside forwards are the in thing at most teams.

With Derby I assume the aim is for the wide players to cut in with the ball, and wing backs to overlap and cross - but anyone can see we don't have the quality/right players for that.

Interesting to see if Ibe (right footed) is kept on his natural right side or shoehorned over to the left. More reason to hope for new ideas soon.

We've long said Lawrence isn't acually a winger, although every team he's been at they have utilised him there. No coincidence though that he got his £5m value from playing half the season centrally at Ipswich.

I've been thinking about this and it goes back beyond this season.

We lack a midfield that has the ability to help create space for our forwards.

Take the season under Frank , look how bad we were in games without Mason Mount, had Mount not got fit we would never had made the playoffs.

Remember getting stuffed at Villa with Evans ,Holmes n Bird and we still had Wilson, Waghorn and Lawrence playing.

Until we get  quality midfield duo we will struggle, you can go back further to when we lost Bryson n Hughes, its been down hill, it needs addressing.

Knight and Shinny are ok but don't give what we need, January is about getting midfield players and not just about a centre forward.

3 hours ago, plymouthram said:

Why do we need a left footer. We already have Forsyth, Buchanan, Clarke, Shinnie, Bird, Sibley, Waghorn, Whittaker and Kelle Roos all left footers

Kelle Roos ! Excellent.

can he play left wing?

2 hours ago, falconram said:

Remember getting stuffed at Villa with Evans ,Holmes n Bird and we still had Wilson, Waghorn and Lawrence playing.

Wilson didn't come on until the second half when we were already 4-0 down. Waghorn and Lawrence didn't even play.

Archived