"Serious question: who pays him off"?

RoyMac5

Ultimately it’s the club that pays him off and his staff (why there are not contracts with clauses such as if you’re in the relegation zone you can be released with no pay off etc).

Now the club either does or doesn’t have the money and if it doesn’t it makes it a going concern.

The risk is that the owners have done their due Diligence. They would have had full transparency of the club accounts. Those club accounts will not have shown a £3 million or so (complete guess) reduction in cash/debtor and they pull out of the purchase.

However the new owners cannot have had their eyes closed that much they were not aware of this potential liability. 

Im pretty sure Mel won’t be liable at all for any pay off.

And yes if Cocu was that honourable, he’d walk.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, rammieib said:

However the new owners cannot have had their eyes closed that much they were not aware of this potential liability. 

Im pretty sure Mel won’t be liable at all for any pay off.

And yes if Cocu was that honourable, he’d walk.

I agree with the first line.

I'm not sure about the 2nd line IF Mel sacked Cocu now (so I bet he won't)

Cocu might be honourable, but I bet he believes he can still get us promoted from here! 

49 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Does it actually follow that the person who sacks him is the person who'll be paying out? Surely payments can just be deferred (and probably won't all be in a lump sum?) and the new owners just take over the standing contractual obligations of the current owner?

the sale terms will probably determine who bears the cost, MM or K. If MM bears the cost, seems unlikely Cocu will go yet

If 100,000 Derby fans paid £50 each we’ll raise £5m. Is that enough to pay off Rooney, cocu and all the staff? I mean all the staff. From fitness coaches(which seem to be seriously lacking) come on Shane Nicholson as a fitness coach??. He’s a commentator, cook and cleaner too. Need a fresh start. 

keep wassal and his academy staff obviously as they’re quality. Mel Morris’ son or nephew as a scout is a joke along with Steve mclarens son as a scout. Get rid of all the dead heads 

45 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I agree with the first line.

I'm not sure about the 2nd line IF Mel sacked Cocu now (so I bet he won't)

Cocu might be honourable, but I bet he believes he can still get us promoted from here! 

But its the business who gets the debt of paying him, not Mel's personal bank account. Its whether the owners want the debt...

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Mel is the owner - perhaps he'd have to cover extra debt?

This depends on the terms of the handover BUT if Mel is liable he simply won't fire him then. Mel isn't stupid enough to saddle more debt to himself but the sake of a few weeks...

38 minutes ago, Derbyram1983 said:

If 100,000 Derby fans paid £50 each we’ll raise £5m. Is that enough to pay off Rooney, cocu and all the staff? I mean all the staff. From fitness coaches(which seem to be seriously lacking) come on Shane Nicholson as a fitness coach??. He’s a commentator, cook and cleaner too. Need a fresh start. 

keep wassal and his academy staff obviously as they’re quality. Mel Morris’ son or nephew as a scout is a joke along with Steve mclarens son as a scout. Get rid of all the dead heads 

£5m....could get a decent centre forward with that..?

4 hours ago, Coconut said:

Why on earth would someone's first thought be to ask Alan bloody Nixon what he thinks? Weirdo.

I think this is out of desperation more then anything else. Nixon's opinion is well respected on Twitter and the poster is probably at such a low ebb that he wants Nixon to confirm Cocu is going just to give him some light at the end of the tunnel after this afternoon's debacle. 

4 hours ago, Derbados said:

Mel hired him and was stupid enough to give him a 4 year contract, he should pay for it. 

Fair comment, which raises another interesting point. It transpires (according to media reports) that Mr Morris has been looking for a buyer for 2yrs. In which case (considering the chairmans record on managerial appointments), giving any manager a 4yr deal at that time, seems not quite right. Certainly not a scenario where one would expect even the most ethical manager (which Cocu is) to offer his resignation. 

Everyone spouting off ,Telling Mel how to spend his money. Not sure he is in a position to do anything during contractial negotiations  being finalised, and why would he want to pay out when it's not appropriate for him to replace Cocu and his role as owner is imenently being terminated.

The club will pay him off, and ultimately it will be whoever is covering the club’s losses, so at the moment Mel, soon (hopefully) the new fella. 

The problem is that Mel’s unlikely to pull the trigger before the takeover’s complete or he’s saddling the new chap with more debt.

Let’s hope the sale is confirmed soon so that nature can take its course before we drop more points and even further adrift.

4 hours ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Rooney or Cocu?

I’ll stick a fiver in for both.

FACT

Rooney was no asset whatsoever to us this afternoon.

Our management team have taken us to the dizzy depths of bottom of the division with six out of thirty-three points.

To initiate any sort of leaving package means paying them. eye-watering amounts in ‘compensation!”

The res of us are in the wrong jobs!

Archived