Best viewing experience

Ken Tram

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 07/11/2020 at 13:40, Ken Tram said:

Dues anyone know what resolution the games are transmitted?

I assume that if I match my monitor's resolution to the resolution of the transmission, then I will get the cheapest picture?

I presume you mean sharpest picture.

No, the resolution that the broadcast is presented in is the limiting factor. If your monitor is at a higher resolution, it won't make a difference.

Of course if you're running in something like 800x600 you need to increase it (and buy a computer from the 21st century).

On 08/11/2020 at 21:34, RoyMac5 said:
On 07/11/2020 at 13:40, Ken Tram said:

I assume that if I match my monitor's resolution to the resolution of the transmission, then I will get the cheapest picture?

Huh?

Thanks! I meant ... "clearest picture".

I am trying to work out the best combination of settings for watching Live Rams Player in terms of display resolution, refresh rates, and cables versus casting.

Has anyone found any optimum settings!?

For resolution: I thought that matching the resolution on my display to the resolution to the transmission would be best. The transmission said it was 720p, which  is 1280x720. But, when I set my monitor at 1280x720, the video was blurry, and seeing the display at a much higher resolution was clearer.

But, when the ball moves fast (and very occasionally, when Derby players do so too) that part of the image is even blurrier.

For refresh rate: my laptop has a display refresh rate of only 50Hz, but my Samsung phone has 120Hz, which I can cast to a large Samsung monitor. I haven't tried watching on a phone-casting set-up. But, I was wondering if for the next match, I should try the phone instead of the laptop because of the much higher refresh rate of 120 Hz, compared with 50 Hz.

For cables/casting: I used an HDMI cable to connect the laptop to the large monitor. My phone doesn't have HDMI, so I guess the last variable to consider is casting between my Samsung phone and Samsung monitor, or getting a USB-to-HDMI connector, to directly link the phone and monitor by cable.

On 08/11/2020 at 21:39, ThePrisoner said:

The maximum resolution of the Rams TV feed is 720p. Any screen above this will just upscale to your native res.

But ... I did find the picture much clearer when I increased the display resolution to higher than 720, which I didn't understand.

Does the "upscaling" happen inside the laptop (cheap Chromebook), or inside the (probably more expensive) monitor?

2 hours ago, WystonRam said:

I haven't yet completed a first half without it crashing.

Something is wrong with your set up.
In the last 2 seasons, the only time I recall having a problem was when I confused the system, with it thinking I was in the UK even though I was abroad [legit]

Broadband speed?
Browser?
Method of watching? (casting, HDMI, direct off laptop, etc...)
What type of error? Do you recall the error message?

On 11/11/2020 at 14:43, Ghost of Clough said:

Something is wrong with your set up.
In the last 2 seasons, the only time I recall having a problem was when I confused the system, with it thinking I was in the UK even though I was abroad [legit]

Broadband speed?
Browser?
Method of watching? (casting, HDMI, direct off laptop, etc...)
What type of error? Do you recall the error message?

Yes always worked when I was “abroad”, now 30-40 minutes it buffers and stops. MacBookPro with HDMI cable connection. Always revert to a mobile device and wireless connection via Apple TV.

Archived