Should the owner be a fan of the club?

IslandExile

Should the owner be a fan of the club?  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Tombo said:

I've only got one question I need a satisfactory answer to - "Why Derby??"

When Sheikh Mansour bought Man City, he was buying a club in a major city with room to grow. A large stadium, and a large fanbase and a club that had potential to be a world class club. And they succeeded.

So why Derby? Potential to get promoted and double his money? Yeah maybe, but good luck with that. We've been trying for 13 years. You can't buy your way out of this league because of FFP. And we've tried, believe us.

Mel suffers the same problems as an owner but I get "Why Derby" for him. Its obvious - he's local, he's a fan and he loves being the custodian of this club. It's job satisfaction.

So again, to the new owners.....Why Derby??

Why not? One club city, decent fan base, decent ground for size of the club, solid academy. I think were a decent investment 

Also nice challenge take a club up & build it up rather than buy an already successful club. The challenge or owning us is the attraction 

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Stupid question I genuinely don't know will the new owners also own the football ground or will Morris still keep hold of that. Or hasn't that been agreed or communicated yet.

Not stupid because we don’t know.  The club don’t own the stadium so a simply transfer would leave the stadium with Mel however there could be a further deal that we don’t know about.  It wll be known in due course

11 hours ago, IslandExile said:

However, the fact is that you now need money if you are going to compete in the top tiers of British and European football.

It can seem that there is now only one way for football, but I saw an interesting film about this issue in Germany. They were discussing the dominance of one team, and how this has been good for overseas sales of TV rights, and sponsorhip, etc. - but, suggesting ways to make football work for all teams.

I didn't watch the whole film, but it seemed quite well thought through, and didn't sound completely hopeless or impossible.

11 hours ago, Tombo said:

"Why Derby??"

When Sheikh Mansour bought Man City, he was buying a club in a major city with room to grow.

But, it had never occurred to me that Man City could be as successful as they have been. I don't think that success was obvious or guaranteed.

And I'm not sure that Man City's fan base is that big. I've come across Man Utd fans all over the world, but I cannot think of anyone who ever told me that they supported City.

And then you have Derby. We fill the ground. And could fill up a bigger stadium with sustained top flight success.

Is Derby's population still roughly ~250,000? If 30,000 attend the football, that's 1 in 8 or 1 in 9. It means that in every workplace, shop, classroom, street, etc., someone will have watched the latest match. The whole city can be buzzing from success.

You cannot get that in Manchester.

That is one answer to "Why Derby?"

Archived