*If* Cocu leaves, who should work alongside player-manager Rooney?

IslandExile

*If* Cocu leaves, who should work alongside player-manager Rooney?  

156 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, IslandExile said:

I am hesitant about starting this thread because, honestly, I still cling to the hope that Cocu be given more time. However, as I said on another thread, there is now a momentum the size of a fully laden oil tanker that he would have to turn around.

So, there's a lot of discussion about the "next manager". It's ironic that some who criticise Cocu for being too defensive are suggesting Benitez but anyway...

Realistically and inevitably it will be Rooney.

Mel was smitten with his signing and the new owners-in-waiting will have been attracted to the club by his presence. Any new rich owners always want to appoint their own manager and need a "name".....Rooney fits all of that. I appreciate he may not yet have the required coaching badges but there are ways around that.

So, who would you like, if it were to happen, to work alongside Rooney?

Personally, I think McClaren - experienced and, again as I wrote elsewhere, better as a coach than as a manager - and links with Rooney from the United days.

Anyway your choice, not Mel's, not Sheikh Khaled Bin Zayed Al Nehayan's , yours ?

Hope it isn't Wazza....

I doubt now if Cocu will return likely to be sacked before is isolation period is up.

It simply has to happen for Derby county to move forward best thing to happen is turn off his communication tomorrow and let the lads get on with it.

The only instruction is go and attack attack I would go 4-2-4 

Why not go for it.

If there was no alternative to Rooney becoming manager, personally I would like to see someone like Mike Phelan as his assistant. Most importantly, though, perhaps would be getting someone like David Gill in an executive role. 

I doubt Rooney would be employed under the Sheik, however, I think he would push the boat out for a popular appointment - like Cocu was at the time. Rooney would be far more negative than positive. 

Phillip Cocu 05 Jul 2019 - Present Won: 22, Drawn: 15, Lost: 22

Frank Lampard 31 May 2018 - 04 Jul 2019 Won: 24, Drawn: 17, Lost: 16

Gary Rowett 14 Mar 2017 - 22 May 2018 Won: 26, Drawn: 18, Lost: 16

Steve McClaren 12 Oct 2016 - 12 Mar 2017 Won: 13, Drawn: 8, Lost: 8

Nigel Pearson 27 May 2016 - 08 Oct 2016 Won: 3, Drawn: 5, Lost: 6

Darren Wassall 08 Mar 2016 - 27 May 2016 Won: 6, Drawn: 3, Lost: 4

Paul Clement 01 Jun 2015 - 08 Feb 2016 Won: 14, Drawn: 12, Lost: 7

Steve McClaren 30 Sep 2013 - 25 May 2015 Won: 51, Drawn: 22, Lost: 22

Darren Wassal l29 Sep 2013 - 02 Oct 2013 Won: 0, Drawn: 1, Lost: 0

Nigel Clough 06 Jan 2009 - 28 Sep 2013 Won: 78, Drawn: 54, Lost: 101

Sorry, but again looking at these numbers it truly is an abomination how Steve McClaren was sacked twice by the club. 

Think it's more likely Rooney would step up to be the assistant manager to someone and be a bit more involved than he currently is.

Who the number 1 would be is anyone's guess, not that many obvious candidates and we don't know what the new owners will be thinking.

19 minutes ago, big bad ram said:

Think it's more likely Rooney would step up to be the assistant manager to someone and be a bit more involved than he currently is.

Who the number 1 would be is anyone's guess, not that many obvious candidates and we don't know what the new owners will be thinking.

Yes, don’t really see why Rooney has a greater claim to become our Manager than any other senior player. At least Curtis Davies is a good communicator ?

MM dampened speculation that Rooney would replace Cocu. Quite a strong statement by his standards. He clearly thinks Rooney's not the right character and there is no doubt that he will have spoken to the Sheikh's people about this. Can't see it'll happen for Rooney

And most likely the Sheikh has no need whatsoever of 32red, he'll be bringing in new sponsors from the Emirates

33 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

MM dampened speculation that Rooney would replace Cocu. Quite a strong statement by his standards. He clearly thinks Rooney's not the right character and there is no doubt that he will have spoken to the Sheikh's people about this. Can't see it'll happen for Rooney

And most likely the Sheikh has no need whatsoever of 32red, he'll be bringing in new sponsors from the Emirates

What has he said?

12 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

talksport.com/football/efl/774033/wayne-rooney...

Derby County owner Mel Morris insists Wayne Rooney is NOT set to become the club’s manager, branding the reported story as ‘completely and totally ridiculous’.

When was that quoted, this change.

Archived