*If* Cocu leaves, who should work alongside player-manager Rooney?

IslandExile

*If* Cocu leaves, who should work alongside player-manager Rooney?  

156 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am hesitant about starting this thread because, honestly, I still cling to the hope that Cocu be given more time. However, as I said on another thread, there is now a momentum the size of a fully laden oil tanker that he would have to turn around.

So, there's a lot of discussion about the "next manager". It's ironic that some who criticise Cocu for being too defensive are suggesting Benitez but anyway...

Realistically and inevitably it will be Rooney.

Mel was smitten with his signing and the new owners-in-waiting will have been attracted to the club by his presence. Any new rich owners always want to appoint their own manager and need a "name".....Rooney fits all of that. I appreciate he may not yet have the required coaching badges but there are ways around that.

So, who would you like, if it were to happen, to work alongside Rooney?

Personally, I think McClaren - experienced and, again as I wrote elsewhere, better as a coach than as a manager - and links with Rooney from the United days.

Anyway your choice, not Mel's, not Sheikh Khaled Bin Zayed Al Nehayan's , yours ?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see why it's inevitable that it's Rooney. It's just as likely Rosenior, who isn't contracted to play and has far more qualifications. Same with Wassall.

Far more likely it will be someone within without the takeover with Rooney stepping up his role, or if the takeover does go through, someone else with Rooney stepping up his role.

I voted based on this hypothetical situation. While it’s not a given, there is a chance it could go down this route. If Rooney were to be installed, I figured who would be the most likely to come in with authority and experience to back and support Wayne.

Big Sam.

Given how crazy it would all be, and while I’m not saying I’d be happy with the decision, I actually quite like Big Sam.

of course, all hypothetical

Got to be McClaren.

Between Rooney and McClaren we would have 2 highly respected people within the English game, people will be more likely to loan us players under Steve and he is regarded as one of the best coaches around.

I have only ever been sad after losing 3 managers since Jim Smith and those were George Burley, Mac 1 and Mac 2.

I must stress however, I do not want Rooney as our manager. 

Pretty sure giving Rooney the job is actually a lot more complicated than some might think, due to his contract, potential 32Red implications and his registration as a player.

Also...he has no badges.

Much more likely that Rooney would work as a part of someone else's team for the forseeable.

3 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I do not want Rooney as our manager

Neither do I.

In reply to @Duracell, I think it's inevitable for the reasons I gave - that new owners like to have a big name in charge of their shiny new toy. I'd prefer Rosenior, Wassall - or wider afield Simpson or Jokanović - but I'm not sure the owners would have even heard of them.

I hope I am wrong but I have serious misgivings about this takeover. Anyhow....going off topic....

6 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Also...he has no badges.

Much more likely that Rooney would work as a part of someone else's team for the forseeable.

Understood but other teams have circumvented that by having "joint managers" or some other convoluted mechanism.

I think I was trying to say "a management team of Rooney and ...."

Also, hasn't he been doing his badges? How long does it take to finish them?

Why would  the club wish to install a manager with no badges,very little coaching experience and no managerial experience??? Mel has continually brought in highly experienced managers who have had some form of success and they have notoriously failed.

Can't see Rooney being appointed, and I would expect a respected name in the game. Would personally like big Sam ,knows the leauge,proven ,high profile and gets the best from his players. Just hope it's not Mark hughes?

1 minute ago, ram1964 said:

Why would  the club wish to install a manager with no badges,very little coaching experience and no managerial experience??? Mel has continually brought in highly experienced managers who have had some form of success and they have notoriously failed.

Can't see Rooney being appointed, and I would expect a respected name in the game. Would personally like big Sam ,knows the leauge,proven ,high profile and gets the best from his players. Just hope it's not Mark hughes?

Experienced? You mean like Lampard?

100% agree with you on Mark Hughes. Shudder.

I very much doubt it will be Rooney and after all of the managerial merry-go-round we have had, I would be very disappointed if it was.

However how would we attract what some would perceive a high profile manager at a club that changes the management willy nilly. 

Oh yes, maybe money if the new guy takes over

What is this obsession with Rooney as manager, he isnt qualified for the job and he probably still wants to keep playing for the rest of this season.

Liam Rosenoir and Darren Wassall are both ahead of him if the next man does come from inside the club.

(saying that I'd give my left baalock for mac3)

We all know managers have to start somewhere . eg The Great Cloughie , Bill Shankley .  Pep , Jose etc etc

I wouldn't want to see Rooney as our manager ,

So whom do I pick .. well it's not up to me ...just hope that if Cocu is to go .. Hope the next person in is the right choice 

There are a number of factors to consider.

The long-term solution depends on what the new owner's aim for the club is. If he sees us as a "project" then its unlikely that he'll want someone unknown/untested at managerial level. At a minimum, and I'm using the name purely for example, but you'd want someone like Gerrard who's got at least a couple of seasons worth of experience behind him.

Then there's the immediate future - ordinarily I'd have said give it to Wassall to take us through the end of the season so that we can properly plan to get who we really want and do the work to have them in place come the season's end, giving them the whole summer to shape their squad. However, while Wassall's been tested previously the circumstances were a bit better than they are now. In the middle of a relegation scrap it probably calls for a little more experience.

I wouldn't be averse to Mac 3, but equally I'm not married to the idea. 

Appointing Rooney, even in a short term stint, would be a huge gamble at a time when I'd not want to be leaving things to chance.

55 minutes ago, ram1964 said:

Just like Clement and Lampard who had zero managerial experience between the 2 of them?

So Mel has tried the experienced manager route with Legohead and the totally uninitiated reference Clement and Lampard and both routes have failed so what's next? Wassall?

What 'evidence' was there that Frank Lampard would make a good manager?

I know Frank has a high IQ (reportedly) but is that the key to being a decent football manager? 

I actually think Rooney is a far better prospect than people think, especially with someone like McClaren with him.

And on the subject of badges; the EFL do not demand a full licence for new managers - just that they are enrolled on a course so as their acquisition is 'ongoing'.

2 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Just like Clement and Lampard who had zero managerial experience between the 2 of them?

So Mel has tried the experienced manager route with Legohead and the totally uninitiated reference Clement and Lampard and both routes have failed so what's next? Wassall?

Pc had his badges and multiple years experience as assistant manager with the biggest and most successful clubs at the time. Lamps walks in and can attract a wealth of quality loanees. Rooney brings Phil Jones to the table?

1 minute ago, StarterForTen said:

What 'evidence' was there that Frank Lampard would make a good manager?

I know Frank has a high IQ (reportedly) but is that the key to being a decent football manager? 

I actually think Rooney is a far better prospect than people think, especially with someone like McClaren with him.

And on the subject of badges; the EFL do not demand a full licence for new managers - just that they are enrolled on a course so as their acquisition is 'ongoing'.

With Frank Lampard being decent despite having no track record, it doesn't necessarily mean that having no track record means you will be a good manager.*

* I know this isn't what you're saying, but I do think CVs are important! 

Archived