Tom Lawrence

Matlock Old Ram

45 minutes ago, Curtains said:

You see they are no better than Lawrence.

Byrne has done great 

Clarke is on loan and is a player but can we keep him 

Shinnie is very good but sometimes goes missing like last night 

Buchanan is still learning and is great prospect 

Bird and Knight very good and still learning.

Lawrence Is a forward player none of them are. 

You didn’t ask him to name a forward player. You mentioned Bielik!

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s so boring to say I’m somewhere between the people who think he’s crap and the people who think he’s gods gift...but it’s true.

We miss him right now, simply as we don’t create enough chances and he at least pulls the trigger when he sees goal. He does take too many shots from outside the box and his decision making can be truly appalling but I think his attacking aggression will do us well before the end of the season. At this point, he’s a better version of what Waghorn is trying to do on the wing.

You can see why that tool Rowett liked him, he makes attacking extremely simple because he simply runs at goal and shoots. Rowett’s attacking tactics boiled down to ‘Nugent and Weimann run around a bit while Vydra and Lawrence shoot every chance they get.’ Much easier than the over complicated passing nonsense Will Hughes was wasting everyone’s time with!

Can I find a way to bash Gary Rowett in every thread on the forum? I’ll certainly try.

4 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

You didn’t ask him to name a forward player. You mentioned Bielik!

Absolutely true .

Bielik is forward thinking in many ways. 

I was comparing ability of creative players. 

People have pre conceived views on players .

Maybe I do .

End of the day i just want  Derby to do well .

My view is Tom  can contribute to that. 

9 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

It’s so boring to say I’m somewhere between the people who think he’s crap and the people who think he’s gods gift...but it’s true.

We miss him right now, simply as we don’t create enough chances and he at least pulls the trigger when he sees goal. He does take too many shots from outside the box and his decision making can be truly appalling but I think his attacking aggression will do us well before the end of the season. At this point, he’s a better version of what Waghorn is trying to do on the wing.

You can see why that tool Rowett liked him, he makes attacking extremely simple because he simply runs at goal and shoots. Rowett’s attacking tactics boiled down to ‘Nugent and Weimann run around a bit while Vydra and Lawrence shoot every chance they get.’ Much easier than the over complicated passing nonsense Will Hughes was wasting everyone’s time with!

Can I find a way to bash Gary Rowett in every thread on the forum? I’ll certainly try.

And you didn’t let us down lol .

Only joking as the late great Brian Clough  used to say. 

42 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

The home goal v Huddersfield was Riochesque in power. I was right behind it behind the goal in the North stand. Incredible strike. Loved his goal at the Baggies too. If only he could just be a little more consistent...maybe a good game every other game rather than 1 good game in 3....

The trouble is that anyone who can do what Lawrence can at his best every other game does not belong in this division.

Buendia is tearing it up and being linked with £40m moves but I distinctly remember him making himself comfy in Lee Buchanan’s back pocket earlier this season. Notable he has also had two red cards this season which is another criticism of Lawrence by some.

He is no more or less frustrating than any of our other “wingers.” Waghorn and Jozwiak both had excellent chances yesterday that came and went as they both lack quality. Jozwiak is at least settling in a new division and country.

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Are people really claiming we miss our 0 goal, 0 assist winger who is notorious for poor decision making in build up and playing selfishly? Lawrence had a spell of being great last season, in the 13 games he's played of this one he's been crap. 

Not true. In the game(&1/2?) he played for Rooney he looked good.

Lawrence is massively underrated and under appreciated by our fans. Gets easily labelled as lazy because of his body language on the pitch but he puts a huge amount of workrate in both attacking and defensive, pretty similar to how fans labelled Ince too.

Lawrence is our most creative and best attacking player, yes he can be frustrating but as mentioned before all wingers at this level are. There isnt a winger/wide man at the club id start ahead of Lawrence, none have shown they can do what he can, and thats turn a game on its head with a piece of magic.

Hopefully when he is fully fit Rooney is able to get him playing more consistently

9 hours ago, Andicis said:

Are people really claiming we miss our 0 goal, 0 assist winger who is notorious for poor decision making in build up and playing selfishly? Lawrence had a spell of being great last season, in the 13 games he's played of this one he's been crap. 

Tend to agree. Lawrence has been at the club since 2017.  So it's fair to say that this player is unlikely to improve on what he has achieved to date. The performances have been mostly average since his arrival at DCFC. Probably time for Tom Lawrence to move on, but it's highly unlikely that we would get back even half of the (reported) £5m that we paid to Leicester City. 

21 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

The home goal v Huddersfield was Riochesque in power. I was right behind it behind the goal in the North stand. Incredible strike. Loved his goal at the Baggies too. If only he could just be a little more consistent...maybe a good game every other game rather than 1 good game in 3....

I would disagree in that, you can always rely on him being inconsistent, in that way he is consistent and it is not 1 good game in 3.  I would be very happy with that.  I am looking forward to him returning and Wayne getting him to perform more regularly to the undoubted talent he has. I will be fascinated to see what Rooney can do with him

23 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Hadnt every player had a rough season before Rooney took over

Knight and Buchanan? Don't think Shinnie was too bad. The bigger problem though was our attacking hopes were reliant on the return of Lawrence and Waghorn. I think you could see the difference Lawrence could make in his first game back under Cocu, but he returned to tripe after. Waghorn has been poor all season.

Lawrence had his best season for us last season. He then followed it with his worst so far. 

The reason he gets picked and will continue to do so is because he can be a match winner. The only other we have is Sibley. 

Think where Tom is concerned hes marmite to the fanbase , those that like him , myself included , think hes an asset to the team , those that dont pick up on every mistake and dont let the rest of us forget about it , a fit and firing Tom could be the difference between 15th and 22nd place this season

3 hours ago, BondJovi said:

Knight and  Buchanan? 

Lawrence made Buchanan look bad with his lack of tracking back. He offered him no protection. I remember watching teams stroll down our right.

Buchanan has looked a much better player with someone actually covering him. As much as Waghorn has been poo, he is good at covering his full back most of the time. 

Buchanan is a top, top player, though. 

On 20/02/2021 at 13:20, DCFC1388 said:

Lawrence is massively underrated and under appreciated by our fans. Gets easily labelled as lazy because of his body language on the pitch but he puts a huge amount of workrate in both attacking and defensive, pretty similar to how fans labelled Ince too.

Lawrence is our most creative and best attacking player, yes he can be frustrating but as mentioned before all wingers at this level are. There isnt a winger/wide man at the club id start ahead of Lawrence, none have shown they can do what he can, and thats turn a game on its head with a piece of magic.

Hopefully when he is fully fit Rooney is able to get him playing more consistently

I like Lawrence - he is creative but he is inconsistent. As for laziness, probably called lazy by the same fans who also called Tom Ince lazy which I always found bizarre. Hopefully he can come back and cement his place in the team. 

Despite his inconsistency & the fact he has 0 goals or assists this season, he still averages a goal or assist just under every 3 games for us which isnt too bad. 15 goal contributions a season, if he had a couple this season his average would look better too.

He should be aiming for double figures in goals and assists every season, I think all wingers should have that as their aim.

Archived