Tom Lawrence

Matlock Old Ram

This notion that Lawrence is lazy is completely false. He puts a lot of work in tracking back just watch him. He's dangerous going forward and has that ability to turn any game. We saw that last season with his 10 goals. He just lacks the consistency it's as simple as that. But then again, if he was consistent he probably wouldn't be playing for Derby in the championship.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, sage said:

That is exactly the issue. He is a youtube player. His best bits are great but watching him for 90 minutes every game he is infuriating.  

Not for me mate.  
 I know we have a difference of opinion on this .

I can’t help my opinion  just as people  who like Sibley won’t change theirs 

PS Sibley and Lawrence together in same team might be really good 

Currently I would have him over all of our wide players as he is unpredictable. Sometimes that is bad and sometimes it is good but as it stands I know exactly what will happen when every single player we use out wide gets the ball (Sibley aside).

Jozwiak will do well, maybe beat a player or two but then he will step on the ball and lose it (I like his work rate though). Waghorn will either miscontrol it or on the rare occasion he gets that right, his second touch will find where I used to sit at games. Early days for Roberts but he looks like a weak gust of wind 15 miles away would blow him over. 

4 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Not for me mate.  
 I know we have a difference of opinion on this .

I can’t help my opinion  just as people  who like Sibley won’t change theirs 

PS Sibley and Lawrence together in same team might be really good 

2 players constantly giving the ball/free kicks away and getting sent off. Sounds great. tbf Sibley is still young and may learn. 

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

That's crap Curtains if you can't make a rubbish player look good on a YouTube video by selectively cherry picking their isolated best tekkers then they must be totally gash

Ok us Derby fans can destroy players. 
Look what we did to Marriott, etc 

Just now, Curtains said:

Ok us Derby fans can destroy players. 
Look what we did to Marriott, etc 

Why does posting fair comment then become destroying someone.

I was making the point that posting a YouTube video of a player with selective tekkers does not then mean that player then realises that standard of performance for the entire game.

I bet I could splice some excerpts together of Claude Davis heading ball in the direction he intended if I looked for long enough. 

5 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Why does posting fair comment then become destroying someone.

I was making the point that posting a YouTube video of a player with selective tekkers does not then mean that player then realises that standard of performance for the entire game.

I bet I could splice some excerpts together of Claude Davis heading ball in the direction he intended if I looked for long enough. 

I’ve heard fans at PP dissing Lawrence before he even kicks a ball .

Ive not just watched him on you tube 

10 minutes ago, Curtains said:

I’ve heard fans at PP dissing Lawrence before he even kicks a ball .

Ive not just watched him on you tube 

That may be but my original point still stands. Which is my original reply. You can make anyone look good on a YouTube video doesn't reflect reality though. 

16 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

That may be but my original point still stands. Which is my original reply. You can make anyone look good on a YouTube video doesn't reflect reality though. 

Mate it’s my opinion.

Not sure what you want from a footballer.

They are not just players who perform on the pitch they have lives. 
He does his best IMO without going into his digressions

I think we all need to give players some slack 

I mean we have people saying things about Roberts ability after one game.

David Nish was poor when he first came to Derby as a FB from Leicester and the fans gave him a chance and he became fantastic for us. 
I have years of experience watching Football I’m not just a novice.

You need to look at what players do well and hope they improve.

I try to be constructive in my opinion on Sibley and people have pointed things out to me which I have taken onboard.

Its like Marriott he need help to get his confidence back as with Lawrence and Ibe who we haven’t seen much of. 

Holmes was great according to some and now look what’s happened with him 

5 minutes ago, sage said:

Byrne, Clarke, Shinnie...Buchanan, Bird, Knight showing signs of that 

You see they are no better than Lawrence.

Byrne has done great 

Clarke is on loan and is a player but can we keep him 

Shinnie is very good but sometimes goes missing like last night 

Buchanan is still learning and is great prospect 

Bird and Knight very good and still learning.

Lawrence Is a forward player none of them are. 

1 minute ago, Curtains said:

Mate it’s my opinion.

Not sure what you want from a footballer.

They are not just players who perform on the pitch they have lives. 
He does his best IMO without going into his discretions .

I think we all need to give players some slack 

I mean we have people saying things about Roberts ability after one game.

David Nish was poor when he first came to Derby as a FB from Leicester and the fans gave him a chance and he became fantastic for us. 
I have years of experience watching Football I’m not just a novice.

You need to look at what players do well and hope they improve.

I try to be constructive in my opinion on Sibley and people have pointed things out to me which I have taken onboard.

Its like Marriott he need help to get his confidence back as will Lawrence and Ibe who we haven’t seen much of. 

Holmes was great according to some and now look what’s happened with him 

We're digressing and going totally off topic now Curtains.

Just because you produce a YouTube video with selected highlights of a player does not then give proof positive then this is reflective of their overall standard of football whether it be Lawrence or Who Flung Dung.

I am one of Lawrence’s biggest critics and don’t want him near our club both for the drink drive fiasco and also his infuriating inconsistency.

However, he started to turn a corner on his last few games after Rooney made it clear they all had to work harder both in training and on the pitch.

His injury came at the wrong time for him as I thought he was going to be much better in that front 3 from what I’d seen, as infuriating as that was for me to admit. 

I hope he returns with the same quality ASAP. 

2 minutes ago, Curtains said:

The Marriott goal was great on that video.

Wish Jack  and Tom could come back well for Derby 

The home goal v Huddersfield was Riochesque in power. I was right behind it behind the goal in the North stand. Incredible strike. Loved his goal at the Baggies too. If only he could just be a little more consistent...maybe a good game every other game rather than 1 good game in 3....

5 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

The home goal v Huddersfield was Riochesque in power. I was right behind it behind the goal in the North stand. Incredible strike. Loved his goal at the Baggies too. If only he could just be a little more consistent...maybe a good game every other game rather than 1 good game in 3....

Inconsistency is a problem for a lot of talented players .

One thing Tom does well also is track back. 

People choose not to see it .

His languid style often gets him incorrectly perceived at times. 

Archived